pictures/video boarding?

mesci14

As a newbie to cruising, I was looking for pictures of actually boarding the Dawn or even video. Interestingly, I have not found anything at all???? I know it is not probably all that interesting, but it would be informative and nice to see....

As a newbie to cruising, I was looking for pictures of actually boarding the Dawn or even video. Interestingly, I have not found anything at all???? I know it is not probably all that interesting, but it would be informative and nice to see....

I don't have any pics, but it is pretty straight forward and has been similar for each ship and port. You will arrive at the port terminal for that ship where porters will be waiting to take your tagged, to be checked, luggage. I usually give them a $5 bill. Next you will enter a line, how long it is will be depending what time of day it is, to enter the secured terminal processing building. You will be handed a very simple and short health form to fill out as you move along. You will go through a screening area similar to airports, but not nearly as intense...no shoes off. Then you will be directed forward to a long line of counters with a clerk behind each. There will be a facilitator usually helping everyone get into the next available line. When you reach your clerk, you will hand over your credit card, passport, health form, and cruise ticket. The clerk will take your picture, swipe your credit card, and have you sign your credit card receipt. You will then be handed a room key which is your ticket to everything on the ship, about like a credit card in size. You will get your credit card back and a copy of the ship's "freestyle" publication for the day....that's when I'm really getting excited. Then, depending on whether boarding has begun or not, you will either be directed to some chairs to wait or directed towards the boarding door. You will go past a photographer who will want to take you picture..which you can buy later if you wish. Then you will walk up the enclosed boarding ramps, have your new room card swiped, and onto usually the promenade deck, where some smiling ship's staff will great you. That's it. Rooms become available about 2 pm usually with an announcement being made. You are now free to wander and explore. I usually go up to the pool deck to people watch , have a drink, and some food from the grilled items available up there...I don't want to ruin my dinner appetite yet with a big buffet or MDR meal. At that point I can't believe how wonderful life is.

Imagine any airport line that you have been in.

In Miami (as an example), there was a door way that would accommodate two people at a time to get in to the building. Right after those doors, the room opened to about 50 feet wide, and there was a solid mass of people. These people then have to "merge" down to two or three lines for security scanning of passengers and carry-on luggage...once through that, there is a long counter with check in stations. So positions are designated for handicapped, some for "Latitudes" and others don't have a designation. Passengers cue up to these positions along the counter, do the check in, get their pictures taken and are then sent upstairs where they get their ships key-cards (maybe after a short wait)....then they proceed to the gangway that connects the terminal building to the ship.

On the way to the gangway, there are photographs who will want to take your pictures for later sale to you (you can say "no thanks" and move on through if not interested).

When on the gangway, you will be single file and step off the gang plank on to the ship's deck (promenade deck if it has one). You are then free to do "whatever".

If I had any pictures of this, it would just show one line after another, and the backs of peoples heads....so use your imagination instead.

Boarding, uploaded by NCL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7UKEb2jl80

Please ignore where the guy says "grab your bubbly" NCL does not do that anymore. If they do hand you a drink as you board, be prepared to hand them your key card because they aren't free.

I just uploading us boarding the Norwegian Epic in Miami... it's not very long or informative but it does show the walk from the 'waiting room' on to the ship. There is no champagne, like in the NCL one LOL. There were people jumping out and scaring us with tamborines! I will be adding pictures during my review!

Archived