Auckland - What to do post cruise?

Our 32-day cruise from Singapore to Australia and New Zealand will end in Auckland on February 7, 2012. We are trying to decide how much time we should we spend in Auckland and/or the surrounding area post-cruise and what there is to do. Our port stops before Auckland in NZ are: Timaru, Akaroa, Wellington, and Tauranga as well as cruising Milford Sound. We would appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.

The Kiwis will be better at answering this one, but being an aussie I will have a go !!

We have been to Auckland several times, by ship and land based. It is a great spot for a base, and offers so much. Firstly you have Auckland itself, and to see the main bits I would suggest a minimum of 2 days.....then extend your time to see a couple of the islands in the harbour, such as Waiheke, Rangitoto etc. Have a look at the NZ Fullers site, they have lots of inexpensive tours. They do most of the ferry tours etc. Two days in the Corromandel area with an overnight stop would be great. Also further north to Goat Island and coastal views...another day trip from Auckland, and of course further north again is the Bay of Islands. Then there is the rugged coastline around Piha, another day trip out of Auckland on the west coast. Now, I could keep going on and on, but I am sure you see that there is a lot to occupy your time. NZ is such a beautiful country, stunning scenery everywhere. I guarantee this will not be your last visit to this country....too much to see and so little time! The transport system is exceptionally well organised, and their i-sites are the best in the world for travellers.

Hope this assists a bit. Check out Fullers.

Jen

Commodoredave

How much time would you like to spend in NZ post cruise? You could easily spend from a few days in the Auckland area alone - to a month (or more) in NZ proper. :)

If you could advise this , then I am sure that you will get much advice.

Barry

NZ is a fantastic country to travel..lots and lots to see and do. A day trip to Devonport on the ferry from Auckland, Tarlingtons, the Glow worm caves at Waitomo. A day sailing on Auckland harbour.

Easy to get around and drive around although the roads can be a bit narrow and those kiwis drive like crazy!!!

The tourist offices are very well run with day trips at affordable prices..and scenery that is out of this world..you've come so far make sure you leave some time to have a good look around.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking we would spend about one week in Auckland and nearby areas. Sounds like there are plenty of wonderful things to see and do. Any hotel recommendations?

If you are looking at a week, my suggestion would be an overnight in Auckland and a 2/3 day trip to the Bay of Islands ,returning to Auckland for a couple of days, as your flight will most likely be early morning or late at night.

2/3 days in BOI would give you a day out on the water and the chance to do the trip up to Cape Reinga, (a full day trip.)

To get to the BOI, you have several options;

*Hire a car and drive.

*Fly and hire a car there.

*Take an organised tour .

In Auckland there is the Hop on Hop Bus, and the ferry ride over to Devonport is a great excursion to a Victorian Village with lots of galleries and cafes to visit.

In Auckland itself I can recommend the Sebel...very nice rooms, good bars and restaurants downstairs..laundry facilities in rooms. Very well located on harbour edge.:)

Have also stayed at the Stamford...nice thai restaurant but rooms were tired and dirty and staff disinterested and stand offish IMO.:mad:

I'm sure glad I asked, as we probably would have spent only 3 days in the area. But thanks to all the great advice and descriptions, we will definitely be staying at least one week. It's still 8 months away, but we are already excited!

Went out today and bought the Fodors travel guide for NZ. I'll be reading up on all of the options mentioned on this thread so that we can start planning. If I have any further questions, I'll let everyone know as you have been so gratious and generous in providing advice. Thanks again.

I lived in Auckland for 7 years, and I'm amused that so many of the recommendations involve getting out of Auckland entirely. Which is what I did - I live in Wellington now!

One thing I always did for my visitors in Auckland was to take them up into the Waitakere ranges - we'd visit the stunning kauri forest, the visitor's center, and, if we were feeling adventurous, Piha Beach, where "The Piano" and many episodes of Xena were filmed. This involves some INTERESTING hill and mountain driving, be warned.

If you're spending a day in Auckland and a few days in the Bay of Islands, no problem there. I also recommend going south for two days, checking out the Hobbiton set in Matamata and spending a day in Rotorua visiting the thermal wonders. I'd stay in Rotorua rather than Taupo - I always find Taupo very dull. Not that Rotorua is a hotbed of simmering nightlife, we just always had an easier time amusing ourselves as visitors there.

What about Mt Taranaki/Egmont?? It is quite a long way from Auckland (400 klms) - but it appears to me to be "unique" . Don't bother to go to Japan to see Mt Fuji - it has been moved to the north island of NZ :)

Barry

What about Mt Taranaki/Egmont?? It is quite a long way from Auckland (400 klms) - but it appears to me to be "unique" . Don't bother to go to Japan to see Mt Fuji - it has been moved to the north island of NZ :)

Barry

Barry, so true. That's what I love about NZ....there is a bit of every country in the world within NZ.

Jen

Archived