Cruising out of NY

blueeyegirl

ok...I have a question. We are looking at the Glory leaving out of New York going to Canada. I have never been to NY and was wondering how is the port? Is it hard to get around the port? The only port I hate so far is Tampa. I will never go out of it again. So as long as its not like Tampa...I should think we would be ok. Just wanting other peoples opinion, thoughts and ideas of NY port.

are you driving, taking a train or flying? I don't have a clue about Tampa port but if you are talking about lines and traffic, there might be some in NYC...but so what? You will still be directed to the parking and since land is at a premium in NYC there will not be any long drives around a parking lot or massive numbers of entrances or exits...you WILL be directed as to where to park..because they don't want you to tie up traffic.

Doesn't really matter though because the port is wonderful, plenty of parking at $30 per day and it is EXTREMELY SAFE!!! The parking is right on the West Side Highway/Drive and you will be able to see your car from the ship. The port is run very efficiently as well and everyone you will encounter will speak English and actually have all the answers you need.

If you take the train to Penn Station you just grab a cab to the port or walk a few blocks north...again safe and no problem

If you fly, have a driver meet you and bring you to the port or take the airport buses and get off at the stop closest to the port and walk or take a cab. If you fly I would arrange for ground transport ahead of time, but that is just me as you really do not have to worry about getting into the city.

We cruised out of New York to Canada on the Triumph in Sept. 09, and had no problems at all. It was easy to find (God bless GPS), and our checkin was smooth. I really enjoyed our trip to Canada and hope to do it again in the near future. I am sure you will love it as well. Have a great trip.

ok...I have a question. We are looking at the Glory leaving out of New York going to Canada. I have never been to NY and was wondering how is the port? Is it hard to get around the port? The only port I hate so far is Tampa. I will never go out of it again. So as long as its not like Tampa...I should think we would be ok. Just wanting other peoples opinion, thoughts and ideas of NY port.

.....twice to Canada (Victory), once to Bermuda (Miracle) and once to the Caribbean (Miracle). The port is a nice place to leave from. Never had an issue during embarkation/debarkation. I will have to say that sail away is the absolute best going down the Hudson River. You will never see anything like it leaving from any other U.S. port.

I really look forward to going down the Hudson for a fifth time this August on the Miracle. I wish I was on her right now!

:D

wasiii

It is located on the Hudson River, the west side of Manhattan, with immediate access via taxi, private car or bus. There is parking on the top level of each of the three piers, if you bring your own car. The facilities were extensively renovated several years ago -- though you will have the usual security lines once inside (unavoidable no matter which port you sail out of), I think you will find the flow of human traffic is smooth. I have not sailed out of Tampa, so cannot tell you how it resembles or differs from Tampa. Vehicle traffic about the NYC piers can be congested, especially at disembarkation.

I think (hope) you will find the sailaway on the Hudson River worth it!

Thanks for reminding me! I had totally forgotten sailing under the bridge and how fabulous it was to sail right past the statue of liberty. Good memories, hoping to be repeated.

I've left from NYC 3x, will be driving there Sunday :D. I have found the port easy to find, the parking was secure. It always reminds me of an airport drop off area with the signs for each ship. The sail away is amazing! Make sure you have your camera with you for pictures of the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building.

good to know, leaving in a few weeks!

Hi Sue, we are on this sailing also, and had the question as we are driving in from VA, Me DW & The Drama Queen(17)(after the first few hours EVERYONE will know her)

DD's BF and family have the balcony next to us:eek:

The Manhattan piers are actually easier to get to than Brooklyn.

If you're driving up from North Carolina, come into NYC via the Lincoln Tunnel. That minimizes the driving in NYC. It is a short drive (5 min) from the tunnel to the piers. Parking is on the roof of the piers. There are ramps like airports. If you are parking at the pier, go directly to the parking. You can unload your luggage as you enter the lot and your bags and vehicle are inspected by Fido and Spot for security purposes. There are porters who will take your luggage.

When you debark, get your luggage, take the elevator to the parking up top, load your car, and go. Quick and easy.

Embarkation and debarkation at NYC have improved greatly over the years.

As others have said, sailing down the Hudson is unlike any other departure. Sailing back in with the early morning sun is even better.

Are you driving up the morning/day of your cruise, or comming up a day or two early? If you are coming up a day or two early, a lot of people stay across the river in New Jersey. Some of the hotels offer free parking for your cruise as thanks for staying with them. This way you know that you are in the New York area, and less likely to be late or miss cruise due to an accident or break down, etc. You can then take a taxi, or even a shuttle ferry across the river to the port.

Hi Davey, wouldn't the Holland tunnel be better coming up I-95 from the south??

Is Carnegie Deli a decent place to get real NY deli?

The Holland Tunnel will bring you into the south end of Manhattan. The Lincoln Tunnel brings you into Manhattan around 38th Street, which is much closer than to the cruise ship terminal at 55th St. You'll save a bunch of driving in the city traffic.

I think the Carnegie Deli is good, but I'm from the Philly area. I can give you advice on cheesesteaks, but I will let our New York friends debate the relative merits of the many NYC delis.

The Holland Tunnel will bring you into the south end of Manhattan. The Lincoln Tunnel brings you into Manhattan around 38th Street, which is much closer than to the cruise ship terminal at 55th St. You'll save a bunch of driving in the city traffic.

I think the Carnegie Deli is good, but I'm from the Philly area. I can give you advice on cheesesteaks, but I will let our New York friends debate the relative merits of the many NYC delis.

I agree with Lincoln instead of Holland. Not much more of a drive on the NJ Turnpike and a lot less city driving.

As for delis - I'm a Philly-area native as well and not well versed in deli, but some of my co-workers do swear by Carnegie. And it's not far from the port. A lot of people like the Second Avenue Deli, but it's on the East Side at 33rd Street - the wrong direction for the port.

Thanks for the advice on the Lincoln tunnel, we will do this one on your advice

And thanks for the deli info, as far as Philly cheesesteaks, they sound yummy, maybe next time I go to PHL on a road trip.

Also need to find a strawberry shortcake and Italian market for my better half.

Thanks for the advice on the Lincoln tunnel, we will do this one on your advice

And thanks for the deli info, as far as Philly cheesesteaks, they sound yummy, maybe next time I go to PHL on a road trip.

Also need to find a strawberry shortcake and Italian market for my better half.

Hmm, not sure about the strawberry shortcake...I'd suggest Lindy's or Juniors for a strawberry cheesecake...

Italian Market and you mentioned on the roll call chinese food - if you came in via Holland tunnel, you'd be in the Chinatown and Little italy neighborhoods. Given that you're getting in though at 11 on the day of, I'd suggest though saving wandering those areas for the day we get back, and then using the Holland tunnel to cross back to NJ for the ride home.

Hmm, not sure about the strawberry shortcake...I'd suggest Lindy's or Juniors for a strawberry cheesecake...

Italian Market and you mentioned on the roll call chinese food - if you came in via Holland tunnel, you'd be in the Chinatown and Little italy neighborhoods. Given that you're getting in though at 11 on the day of, I'd suggest though saving wandering those areas for the day we get back, and then using the Holland tunnel to cross back to NJ for the ride home.

Your advice is so helpful and I believe we will do the Holland tunnel on the return, Italian markets are unknown here in VA:(, and the Chinese food is rather aweful, they think spring rolls are eggrolls, when I lived in SoFLA and worked in MIA Int'l there was this dumpy Chinese restaurant with the BEST food and eggrolls(Oriental Express-Yummy)

I am trying to get my last fling done while in NY(my birthplace-LI Glencove)before I get gastric sleeved and start my new life:)

I saw an episode of Man vs. Food tonight. He was at Katz' deli on the lower east side. I never heard of them, but it certainly looked good.

I saw that episode also and like my meat thin machine sliced, Katz hand cuts it thick but it does look real good if you like thick cut

Archived