San Diego Port Review...

Shippy Mark

Hello!

I thought you guys might like to see my port review of the great city of San Diego! As it turns out, a lot of my readers come directly from the Cruise Critic forums so I thought I would post this here directly.

:)

http://shipgeek.blogspot.com/2011/05/san-diego-port-review.html

In my opinion it seems that San Diego doesn't get the attention that it really deserves...its such a great city and cruise port! Hopefully more and more ships will start calling there.

On the contrary...more and more cruise lines are pulling out of San Diego. One of the local scandals is how much was spent on the new cruise terminal, just opened last fall, when in fact the cruise ships stopping in San Diego, or home porting there has dropped by nearly 2/3 in the last 2 years. Fewer and fewer cruise lines are offering Mexican Rivera cruises now days, and there is a limited demand and season for other destinations (coastal CA or RT Hawaii, for example). Even transcanal and South American cruises which used to use San Diego a lot have pretty much stopped with a very few exceptions.

Yes, WE are quite sad that fewer ships are planning to use San Diego as a port!! We were told last year that the new part of the cruise port was built toooo small for many of the ships to use AND that our port fees were toooo large!! It sounds like something from Little Red Riding Hood! Maybe one day they'll get things "just right"!!!

Archived