Oceania Demographic

motheroftwoboys

Hello everyone! We are going on our first Oceania cruise on Nautica in August and really looking forward to it. We have cruised twice with a small British Line (Airtours); twice on P & O's Aurora and twice on RCI - Splendour and Navigator. Have always enjoyed the mix of passengers. Juding by the forum Oceanian passengers are mainly American (which would make sense being an American line). Is this right? I have discovered that Oceania is a bit of a well kept secret here in the U.K.

You do get a mix of Nationalities

Yes the majority maybe from the USA but there are also Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders & Brits in increasing numbers as well as other Nationalities

they usually have a meeting set up for the British group as well as the other groups so you get to meet your fellow countrymen

Lyn

We've been on several Oceania cruises where there were a pretty large number of countries represented among the passengers. But yes, I agree, mostly Americans and Canadians.

Er, why not? It's not like they speak a foreign language! I could understand your not wanting to be surrounded by people who speak a language YOU don't speak, but this one has me puzzled.

The Brits we've traveled with have all been great people!

Mura

Personally, I prefer to travel with people who know that Canadians are Americans, so are Mexicans.

The people from that big country in the middle are United States citizens.

:cool: Geography much?

I realize that this is a popular misnomer, but we can do better, people.

On the other hand, if the biggest and most populous country gets to bogart the whole continent:

• Russians shall henceforth be called Europeans
  • The Chinese become Asians
  • Nigeria and Sudan will vye to be Africans
  • Brazilians become South Americans
  • And Australians become..........oh, never mind!

Uh? Only some of the Russians.......................

Like it or not, if we use the "American" logic, the Russians would be the "new" Europeans:

Of Europe's approximately 50 states, Russia is the largest by both area and population (although the country has territory in both Europe and Asia), while the Vatican City is the smallest.

Yup, they're stuck with it

Then what one word do you suggest we use to denote citizens of the "United States of America", if not "Americans"?..."American" obviously abbreviating the country rather than the continent? :confused:

I would suggest that Canadians, Mexicans, and -- eek -- Americans are "North Americans".

For want of a better term, I often use "US-ers".

Not exactly elegant, but it doesn't assume that those of us in the US portion of North America are the only "Americans".

Then what one word do you suggest we use to denote citizens of the "United States of America", if not "Americans"?..."American" obviously abbreviating the country rather than the continent? :confused:

I would suggest that Canadians, Mexicans, and -- eek -- Americans are "North Americans".

Ah, Aruba, you've been "Sound-Bited" into submission.

I disagree that everything needs to be boiled down to one word.

And don't even get me started on those countries which name their nationality separate from their country name.........like the Dutch! ;)

Personally, I prefer to travel with people who know that Canadians are Americans, so are Mexicans.

The people from that big country in the middle are United States citizens.

Actually, the country in the middle of America is rather small.

:cool: Geography much?

We've been on several Oceania cruises where there were a pretty large number of countries represented among the passengers. But yes, I agree, mostly Americans and Canadians.

We will be two of them - i.e. Canadians :)

Ricky

YIKES!!! :eek:

Canadians are just that ...not Americans by any stretch of the imagination

We are from North America ;)

We're all North Americans. When I'm in Canadia I refer to my nationality as United Statesian. Feels rather hoggish to claim the entire American continent.

And don't even get me started on those countries which name their nationality separate from their country name.........like the Dutch! ;)

Dutch? My friends from The Netherlands refer to their language by its proper name of Nederlands, and it is—as English—a West Germanic language.

Language much? ;) :)

However, I totally agree with your statement, "Personally, I prefer to travel with people who know that Canadians are Americans, so are Mexicans", regarding the woeful state of the average American's geographical knowledge....well, except when it comes to playing a game of trivia, when it works to our advantage. :):D

Archived