Horseback ride on beach

JOJO351969

Hello everyone. My family will be going to St. Martin in beginning of October. My dad age 80 is coming with us and we want to do the horseback ride. He is looking forward to doing it but want to ask anyone who has done this if they think this is a safe thing for him to do. He has never been on a horse before and wants to do it just scared he might get thrown or something like that. Any suggestions or comments would be awesome. Thanks

Hey Jojo ,

We went to ride in Cozumel with my FIL when he was a very healthy 70 and they wouldn't take him just because of age . In St Maarten , We have ridden at Lucky stables and Bayside and can tell you both are top notch operations and both offer a great experience . Of the two , we prefer Bayside just for the location and scenery (Le Galion and the Butterfly Farm right there ). I would definately call either stable or both and ask them if they have an age limit as my FIL was dissapointed in Cozumel , we should have asked ahead of time . Good luck ! Ted

Hi - I'm so glad this thread is here! We are going next week on Freedom and are interested in horseback riding too. But I'm having a tough time trying to reserve at any of the places mentioned.

First of all, are Lucky Stables and Seaside Nature Park one in the same place? I've tried to email Seaside two days ago, and they haven't gotten back to me. Should I try to call them?

Second, how do you get in touch with Bayside Riding Club? They don't seem to have a website, and when I went to their Facebook page, the last posts were from a few months ago. Which suggests to me that they could be out of business?

I think we'd prefer Bayside, just because we'd also like to go to Dawn Beach and do a little snorkeling. And since I have 8 and 10 year old girls, I don't think they're ready for a possible nude sunbather encounter at Orient. ;)

Thanks for any advice you can give us!

Janice

Hello everyone. My family will be going to St. Martin in beginning of October. My dad age 80 is coming with us and we want to do the horseback ride. He is looking forward to doing it but want to ask anyone who has done this if they think this is a safe thing for him to do. He has never been on a horse before and wants to do it just scared he might get thrown or something like that. Any suggestions or comments would be awesome. Thanks

I would hesitate to have a 80 year old ride horses for the first time in his life do it in the Caribbean, although, I really think it would be so cool for him to get the chance to do it!! My suggestion would be to find a stable nearby your house where he can ride, then if it goes well, have him ride in the Caribbean. But then, I don't know your dad, some people are really "old" at age 80 and some people are really "young" at age 80. My daughter lives on her horse, so I do have some idea of what they are like. Horses are beautiful, amazing, and fun, but they are dangerous. In a tourist spot, you can get a range of very good horses and some that are not so good.

We rode on the beach in St Kitts, it was my daughters life long dream come true, and def the highlight of her trip. Give that to your dad, but do it cautiously and have him ride at least once before you go. A horse knows when he has a novice on him. :cool:

I was in my early 40's the first (and only) time I went horseback riding. Apparently I went up when I was suppose to go down and vise-versa and I got "spanked" for the whole hour & a half!:o I was sore for 3 or 4 days. Great your dad wants to try it, but even if he is allowed I would caution him.

Archived