Medical & cancellation insurance Canadian pre-existing condition

I am trying to find an insurance company that waives pre-existing condition (cancer, chemo treatment finished recently) for medical & cancellation coverage. Any in Canada I have talked to require either a long application form filled out by the oncologist and then they have to have their underwriters approve or deny it; the others state you have to be stable 60 plus days prior which doesn't apply because of recent chemo.

The trip would be flying from Canada to US then getting on a cruise ship for 10 days and flying back home from Canada. Our final payment is June 27th.

I have found tripinsurancestore.com (uses Travel Guard USA) who have the pre-existing clause waived (no forms to fill out etc) but have read on here if Canadians use a U.S. insurance company and have problems with a claim we have no real assistance.

Anyone else used this company with the pre-existing clause waived and had to make a claim? Or any other Canadian that has found a Canadian insurance company that waives the pre-existings without filling out tons of paper work?

Thanks for any help.

(I have tried many in Canada including-RBC, CAA, travel underwriters, travelguard.ca; CSA, credit card coverage)

I am trying to find an insurance company that waives pre-existing condition (cancer, chemo treatment finished recently) for medical & cancellation coverage. Any in Canada I have talked to require either a long application form filled out by the oncologist and then they have to have their underwriters approve or deny it; the others state you have to be stable 60 plus days prior which doesn't apply because of recent chemo.

The trip would be flying from Canada to US then getting on a cruise ship for 10 days and flying back home from Canada. Our final payment is June 27th.

I have found tripinsurancestore.com (uses Travel Guard USA) who have the pre-existing clause waived (no forms to fill out etc) but have read on here if Canadians use a U.S. insurance company and have problems with a claim we have no real assistance.

Anyone else used this company with the pre-existing clause waived and had to make a claim? Or any other Canadian that has found a Canadian insurance company that waives the pre-existings without filling out tons of paper work?

Thanks for any help.

(I have tried many in Canada including-RBC, CAA, travel underwriters, travelguard.ca; CSA, credit card coverage)

First of all, if using a US-based insurer you do have recourse through a third-party neutral arbitration service to settle any disputes. What you may not have is the ability to get your Provincial Department of Insurance involved.

Secondly, when did you make the initial deposit on the cruise? TravelSafe uses a Canadian underwriter for any plans sold to Canadian residents so you would have full access through your Provincial Dept of Insurance to help in the case of a disputed claim. But the time frame to get the automatic waiver of the pre-existing condition exclusion is within 21 days of making the initial payment on the trip. I believe the Travel Guard plans use a 15 day period although they may have one plan out there that gives you until the final payment date (they have lots of plans and it's hard to keep up).

Hi Cruiseco-thanks for the reply.

We made the initial deposit in April and final payment is June 27th so we don't qualify for Travelsafe (I phoned them). The Travelguard has a "snowbirds" policy that you just have to purchase prior to final payment that has a pre-existing medical waiver exclusion. Sounds like we will have to go with them and hope for the best.

This is all new to us ...obviously we want to go on this cruise and don't anticipate any reason to cancel but like to be covered just in case.

Canadian Bear, I feel almost like I am stalking you, but trust me, I'm not. :) I just recalled that Costco offers a variety of insurance plans to "executive members" -- not sure if that's of any help, I've not investigated exactly what they have, but may be worth a quick look.

Glad you've found one choice anyway!

Canadian Bear, I feel almost like I am stalking you, but trust me, I'm not. :) I just recalled that Costco offers a variety of insurance plans to "executive members" -- not sure if that's of any help, I've not investigated exactly what they have, but may be worth a quick look.

Glad you've found one choice anyway!

Haha!!! I appreciate all your help....I've never heard of the Canadian Costco offering travel insurance but I will give them a call tomorrow and see. Then I'm making a decision!!

Finally booked our medical/cancellation insurance (with the pre-existing medical exclusion waiver) through a U.S. company as it is just such a hassle here unless you are willing to fill out tons of paperwork, get it signed by the oncologist, then you have to wait and actually see if the underwriters will even accept it to cover you.

Hoping of course not to even have to use the policy as we are really looking forward to this trip. But, I have always purchased insurance "just in case" and have had to use it a few times.

Thanks again for everyone's input and help here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived