Helicopter/dog sledding

camreesmom

My husband and I will be cruising to Alaska for the first time in July on the Golden Princess. We are interested in the helicopter flightseeing and dog sledding but we're wondering if the dog sled add on is really worth another ~$200. We definitely don't want to do the dog cart on wheels but we're not sure that the dog sled ride on the snow is worth that much extra money. Any opinions or suggestions?

Absolutely it is better.....and personally I think it is worth it...There are lots of reputable tours...you can go in Seward...with the Seavey operations, you can go in juneau on several operations...some connected to the cruise ships....and some not....I personally like Coastal Helicopters in Juneau....Check out the dog sled portion of their ad. I know most of the operators....I have a racing kennel in Alaska...and my dogs are frequently on the glacier in the summer....and I like the people/mushers who run the Coastal Helicopters on the Herbert glacier in Juneau..One of the big problems can be the weather..If it is foggy....and Juneau frequently is....then none of the flights go for safety reasons. The flight up to the glacier is like being in another world.....and the dogs are wonderful...absolutely wonderful....It truly is like being transported to another universe...

"worth" is in the eye of the beholder.

To some it may seem ridiculous, unnatural and expensive. It is all that, but its also a unique and priceless experience only offered as far as I know in Alaska in the summer.

The ride is short ~ 20' or short, very well scripted with one to two stops for photos. The helicopter ride is also short and direct, but with views to die for.

Having done it, I can say I have no regrets, but wouldn't do it again.

My husband and I will be cruising to Alaska for the first time in July on the Golden Princess. We are interested in the helicopter flightseeing and dog sledding but we're wondering if the dog sled add on is really worth another ~$200. We definitely don't want to do the dog cart on wheels but we're not sure that the dog sled ride on the snow is worth that much extra money. Any opinions or suggestions?

I did the sled dog camp and helicoptor ride a few years ago (in late June). I truely thought the experience brought me to the top of the world! View from helicoptor fantastic, and the dogs were a delight. The guide was with us when we mushed the dogs, and gave us all a chance to do it. A once in a lifetime experience.

We did this in Juneau, and it was one of the ship's tours. I took advice from this board, that if you want a true Alaska Experience....do the Sled Dog Camp and Whale Watch.

We also did the land portion, up to Denali on the train from Anchorage.

Upcoming, will be our 4th voyage to Alaska, and everytime we see something new.

I just did it last week in Skagway off the Golden Princess. We took two helicopter flights in one day. The first was called the Heli Hike where they flew us to a remote landing area in the forest and we hiked about 5 miles on an easy trail and then got picked up by the train for an hour on the way home. We then doubled back and did the helicopter flight to the dog sled camp.

First of all - the helicopter flight is unbelievable. Want a preview? I filmed this over the pilot's shoulder:

So you have to do a helicopter something, but I liked the heli hike over the dog sledding because it was longer and was kind of like a best of everything. The dog sledding is fine I guess but being pulled by dogs around in a circle for about 20 minutes (but in a majestic remote location) didn't do a lot for me. Playing with the dogs and puppies in camp was the best part. We paid I think $400 each for this. So my summary is it's $400 for a majestic helicopter flight, 25 minutes of playing with cool doggies in a cool location, and a 20 minute so so dog sledding excursion. Here's what it looks like riding on the sled:

Go on anything involving a helicopter, and use your personal preference to guide the rest. Hope this helps.

Hubby and I did the dogsledding/heli tour almost 2 weeks ago. While I am glad that we did it, I am VERY glad that I took BQ's advice and also saw the Yukon trail that day. Next to Glacier Bay, it was the highlight of our trip. Ty BQ!

Mushing the dogs was fun, and the dogs were truly amazing. I am glad that we had the experience but Hubby and I agree that we preferred the Yukon trail. (and we are from Florida where there is no snow)

P.S. BQ did not advise against dogsledding, she just said that the White Pass Railroad was an amazing tour. We did not do the train but instead rented a car which drives along a similar path as the train. We saw bears and eagles and a lot of other wildlife. The mountains and lakes were breathtaking!

I just did it last week in Skagway off the Golden Princess. We took two helicopter flights in one day. The first was called the Heli Hike where they flew us to a remote landing area in the forest and we hiked about 5 miles on an easy trail and then got picked up by the train for an

did u book this privately (if yes do you have link or name of company?) or did you book through your ship?

Was the hike on trail with snow or mud? and how long did hike take? Did you have to be at the train station (or did they just pick u up along the tracks) at a certain time?

did u book this privately (if yes do you have link or name of company?) or did you book through your ship?

Was the hike on trail with snow or mud? and how long did hike take? Did you have to be at the train station (or did they just pick u up along the tracks) at a certain time?

I booked through Princess but I bet you can go directly with them if you call. In Skagway it was the same company for all helicopter flights as the pad is directly in front of where the ship parks (I forget the name but google it, I doubt there's another there). The hike is on the easiest trail you can imagine, in fact we were commenting on how they got gravel and wood bridges and steps out in the middle of nowhere and the guide told us how they helicopter lifted it all in. It's about 3-5 miles? You do walk up and down moderate grades and at a fairly good clip, but nothing too hard. Imagine walking through the forest on a trail with the occasional tree root and such and that's it. The hike is actually fairly boring in terms of the scenery you already see in Alaska and you double back to your landing pad so it's not all that thrilling but it's nice to be out and walking semi alone.

The train stopped for us and our guide just knew which one was ours because they track it on the radio. We had the entire caboose to ourselves because they keep it open for us and the train just stops in the middle of a run for you. It was nice because the train was fairly packed but the entire last car was empty and there was only about 8 of us. Hope this helps.

We did Mendenhall Glacier Dog Sledding through TEMSCO and LOVED it! Worth every penny and one of the best experiences in our lives!! I highly recommend it and it's definitely on my "must do" lists for Alaska.

You can read my full review with photo here:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/category/cruises/alaska-2010/

Click on the Juneau link. Hope it helps with your decision!!

• 2 weeks later...

Doing this in July with Coastal. At first I thought "way too expensive" and was going to do the musher summer camp since LOVe dogs..BUT then thought this is for us a once in a lifetime opportunity. So, now saving money at Ketchikan and doing this in Juneau. Its such a personal preference thing.

Archived