What does Brest have to offer?

charabanc

Hello,

I will be in Brest fairly shortly, on Azura A116, and have no idea what to expect town itself.

Can anyone give any ideas as to what we might find a short stroll from the ship? Or would we need a shuttle to the town and then go for a short stroll?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Regards,

Ann & Peter

I did a 7n Azura cruise to Cobh, Dublin Brest and Bilbao last year, at Brest was advised to go on a trip to Quimper which we did and it was lovely. photos here;

https://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/AzuraIrelandEurope1623rdJuly#5497603374187696098

If you haven't been on Azura yet, do try the Glasshouse for lunch on a sea day, wonderful...photos in album.

We spent a couple of hours walking round Brest and could find NOTHING to recommend it. Sadly this is probably because most of the town had to be rebuilt after WW2.

I can only agree with others. We've visited Quimper several times including once on a cruise. We paid for the coach only and had a lovely day, including a visit to the typical french market and lunch on the market sqaure. There's a great atmosphere, lots of old buildings with a lovely church and water-mill - bliss!!

We spent a couple of hours walking round Brest and could find NOTHING to recommend it. Sadly this is probably because most of the town had to be rebuilt after WW2.

I can only agree with others. We've visited Quimper several times including once on a cruise. We paid for the coach only and had a lovely day, including a visit to the typical french market and lunch on the market sqaure. There's a great atmosphere, lots of old buildings with a lovely church and water-mill - bliss!!

So it was you following us in April. That is exactly what we did, apart from lunch which, for us was French stick and emmenthal.

So the answer to the op question is ---Not a lot.

Gan canny

Dai

I did a 7n Azura cruise to Cobh, Dublin Brest and Bilbao last year, at Brest was advised to go on a trip to Quimper which we did and it was lovely. photos here;

https://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/AzuraIrelandEurope1623rdJuly#5497603374187696098

If you haven't been on Azura yet, do try the Glasshouse for lunch on a sea day, wonderful...photos in album.

Hello LibraLass41,

Lovely photo's thank you.

So it would seem I should give Brest a miss and go to Quimper instead. Can you tell me if you did the organised guided tour, or just the transfer to Quimper?

Many Thanks

Ann.

Hi

It was the P&O transfer tour -takes you there ,4 hours freetime takes you back, it is a bookable tour not a free shuttle or anything. I would pre-book that if I were you, nothing much in Brest from what I have heard.

Hello LibraLass41,

Lovely photo's thank you.

So it would seem I should give Brest a miss and go to Quimper instead. Can you tell me if you did the organised guided tour, or just the transfer to Quimper?

Many Thanks

Ann.

Hi Ann, I researched the train times and it looked to be too risky timewise so we have booked the transfer to Quimper and will then do our own thing.

Archived