Taking Dream next April. Possibly bringing 1 yr old....

Rhitson88

Me and my wife have just booked our cruise on next April's Dream cruise to the western caribbean. It will already be my wife, myself, and our current 4 yr old (turning 5 this September). My 4 yr old has already taken 2 cruises so shes good and we know we can just enroll her in the childrens program which she loves so much. But what if we were to bring our newest addition to the family. Currently 5 months but will be 1 yr and a few months come time for the cruise. We would leave her with my mother in law if necessary but with me being in the military, we kinda wanna do a vacation all together and agree so much that a cruise is the best vacation you can take. I guess my question is, is 1 to early or could we make it happen. Don't mind keeping her with me all day, not a big deal. But do they have childcare services for children that young if we wanna go watch a show alone or something? Like pay by the hour daycare? Like I said, not a huge deal if there isn't because I would have no problem whatsoever keeping her with me if she can handle it at all. Just if anyone has gone with a child this young or knows any information I requested just let me know. Thanks!!

Rhitson,

Understand your desire to have the family cruise together. And BTW a big THANK YOU for your service to our country:)

Just my opine, but a little one that young will retain no memory of the cruise. She'll probably be just as happy staying with your MIL. Then in 2013, she'll be old enough to experience the early memories your oldest has of first cruises, and the oldest will be 6 and ready to show her litle sister all the things she can do. So everyone will have a good time then.

I'm sure others with expereince of toddlers and pre-toddlers on board ships may differ. But there's an excellent sub-board on these pages on cruising with children. That'd be my go to source if I were in your situation.

Whatever you decide, though, regardless of what we may think, just go and have a great, well-deserved cruise.

That's a hard one. We were on the Dream in April, 2011 and I did see lots of people with smaller children. I'm sure it would be a job, but if you don't want to leave her (and I can completely understand if you don't) just bite the bullet and take her with you. I don't think Camp Carnival takes kids under 2, but you might want to double check! After all, a vacation is what you make of it...as long as your comfortable taking her around everywhere with you and taking her out if she gets fussy during a show/dinner or whatever, I see no issue with it. I may be the exception because I know there are lots of people on here who evidently don't think a cruise is the place for children, but I believe as long as your children are well behaved and you respect others if they are being fussy or unruly, they have as much right to be there as anyone does. Actually, I've seen several adults that I didn't think should be on a cruise or out in public at all!

I always said I thought people were crazy for taking very small children to Disney World and dragging them around for a week in the heat and crowds and that I would never do it! Well, last February I ate my words! We had a foster daughter that was 5 months old and we knew she would be leaving our family soon and we couldn't stand leaving her for a week while we were gone so we took her with us! I don't regret it a bit! We had a wonderful time and she was an angel. I'll always look back and remember that trip and the time she was with us! So, do whatever's best for you and your family and don't look back! Have a great time! I wish we were going again soon!

Sailed the Dream last year with my son who was 9 months old at the time. Cruising with young ones is definitely do-able! It will take a little work & patience, but it's worth it in the end. Sure, my son will have no recollection of the trip, but I will. And that's what I want - memories with my family. They have babysitting services from 10 PM - 3 AM if you wanna enjoy some nightlife alone. I never used these services (my mom & aunt were also with us) but I heard the counselors are fantastic with all the kids!

All the waiters & room stewards loved our son, and was very accommodating! Carnival provides a nice clean white metal crib which works for the week. There are plenty of high chairs & booster seats on Lido Deck, as well as the Main Dining Room. Before the cruise, I have taken my son to MANY restaurants so he was fantastic during dinner. If he did get a bit fussy, I would simply walk around outside until he calmed down. My son would normally fall asleep after dinner in his stroller, so sometimes my fiancé and I would sneak into a show with him, and sometimes our son would wake up in the middle of the show & just quietly watch! :)

If a family vacation is what your looking for & expecting - then I will recommend it! The Dream is a fantastic ship for families. I'm cruising with my son in just a few more days (he's 21 months now). I cannot wait since he will be able to do a bit more & enjoy it more.

I would also recommend getting a balcony cabin. That would be perfect for nap times so you & your wife can still enjoy the outdoors. If not, the Dream has fantastic Family Deluxe Oceanview cabins which are spacious & have 2 bathrooms.

I don't know if you deploy often, but I know my husband goes to the desert every other year so when we vacation, we like to keep our family together no matter what. We already spend enough time apart. If your baby has an easygoing personality, I think it would be fine. We've taken our daughter on every vacation with us starting when she was 2 months old. In fact, she's 3 now and I'm taking my first ever trip without her in 2 weeks on the Elation - she will be home with grandma while I go on a girls cruise! So go on your vacation, have a great time, make wonderful memories, cherish your time together and no, baby won't remember, but you will.

Appreciate all the posts. I think we may just end up taking her with us. I mean, yeah worse case scenario we have a bottle on stand by or a pacifier. No biggy. I mean with her being the 4th passenger, shes only like $249 which is such a small price to pay to at least try it. Live and learn. But once again, I appreciate all the posts regarding this.

If the child is well behaved and is used to going to restaurants, etc it should be fine. I'm all for keeping the family together but I get quite annoyed when I'm at a restaurant or on vacation and someone's baby is crying (or for toddlers/older children just flat out mis-behaving) constantly. It certainly makes my experience less pleasant and I imagine it cannot be fun for the parents either. You know your children so you should be able to make the right decision.

Archived