Norwegian Pearl Review in the Carribean...ehh

MisterVile

Hello, i am debating on whether or not to take a $200 discount on the Norwegian Gem coming up in December. I would really like any thoughts or comments from my March review of the Pearl. Thanks.

The Norwegian Pearl is beautiful on the outside and the decor is in the inside. This was going to be a great cruise as i first entered the ship on 3/20. I was wrong, because the cruise was good, not great. I am 25 years old and this was a great time of year to cruise, mostly because spring breakers were on the cruise (even a whole sorority from West Virginia U!)and there were many people in my general age group.

Instead of bore you with all the mundane details (like half of these reviews do, i read many of them). I am just going to point out things that made the trip better or worse.

The Stateroom- I don't spend much time in my room (why would you?) so we opted for the inside cabin. Our steward was great and was very friendly. The inside is pitch black and you need to watch your time if you need to wake up early. Happy with our state room.

The Food- I like having many options for lunch and dinner. The problem is the best cover charge restaurants cost too much. a $57 bill for Tappenyaki is just too much for something i can pay $28 total at home. Le Bistro was great too, but also just too much for the experience. The Lu Cucinia(sp?) was good and was much more fair $10, but of course, not as good. The food at the Buffet is just mediocre for all three meals. Overall, i would say the food is a strong point if you shell out the cash and don't mind about shelling it out.

The Ship- From the start of my review, you would guess i would rate this positively, but i cannot. The most important aspect of any structure is the interior architecture. There were simply not enough common rooms and not enough space within those common rooms. Want to take a beautiful picture in the ship? well, they do that in the medium-sized common room with two restaurants upstairs and a shop, bar, projection screen and reservation desk downstairs. Simply put, there was not enough room is the supposed "big" room. The decor is very nice and i like the overall look to the ship, but the functionality is lacking. The stateroom hallways are too narrow, you will likely not be able to walk next to anyone. The sundeck is too small, if you want to tan and you don't wake up early, you will have to go lay out where there is no pool or jacuzzi somewhere on the upper deck sides. I also thought the ceilings were too low in between decks. Maybe one less deck and adding some inches from the floor would make me feel less claustrophobic.

The Entertainment- I would have given this the most scathing review i could if it wasn't for Second City, the improv comedy group. The entertainment was terrible. How they got the best entertainment award in 2008 is beyond me. Our cruise director did her job, but Jill was not funny at all, something that should be a prerequisite of a CD. The singing and dancing was very odd, they stole other broad way shows acts and of course, would not let you tape or photograph it. They were good i guess, but singing and dancing is not my thing. Oh what a night! did the same three songs the three times i saw them (different days too). The hypnotist was EXACTLY THE SAME during her stardust theater show and "adult" night show at the spinnaker lounge. She finally said or did something different a half hour in when she was giving the recipients suggestions. Brenda Kaye really needs to switch things up in her setup and execution. But what made me more angry than anything else was the comedian. David Naster was just plain awful. He did say some funny stuff, but jokes were few and far between. He cared more about the details of his stories than the actual jokes. His pacing was terrible. I have heard his jokes from elsewhere before. I made the choice to see him several times, so it is partially on me. But what else am i supposed to do at 7:30? His shows got progressively worse through out the cruise. I walked out twice. Thank God for Second City, they were hilarious, witty, and were very clever. I had to miss their first show to eat at Tappenyaki (which was good, but i would have not gone then if i knew i could see Second City)

Nickle and Dime- Just way too much on this cruise. I am on vacation, i don't want to have to worry about this type of thing (yes i knew it was going to happen to an extent, but knowing it and experiencing it are two different things). Excursions were too expensive, Drinks are too expensive(the $31 total with tip bucket of 5 beers is the best deal!), No toothpaste in the bathroom, overpriced mini-bar, and the annoying "additional tip" on every receipt got to me after 5 days. Of course, NCL is the only line that does not let you bring on your own alcohol, so it makes things worse.

The Ports:

Samana- Received a free tender (uncomfortable, btw) to Cayo Levetando. We had to get a ticket and wait for the tender. The island was packed because NCL made it free. We could not find chairs for 2 hours. We walked around, had a coconut drink and swam. Then we finally got a seat and laid out. I would not go to Samana again, just not enjoyable enough. Maybe an excursion that wasn't free would be better.

St. Thomas- Great Port. We went to Coral World without the excursion. It cost the exact same amount of money (cab, entrance fee), so you may as well just do the excursion. I fed a stingray and had a great time with all the wild life. Very interesting. We then did all of our souvenir shopping and got that done.

Tortola- meh, we walked around to figure out what to do. We ended up taking one of the island tours ($20 pp). The sights were very nice, but they get you to a beach for a half hour where you have to pay to sit, lol. I didn't like any of the excursions listed, so i would not come back to Tortola, the island just seems limited for tourists.

Great Stirrup Cay- Another Tender(ugh)and you go to NCL's private island. The island is small with not many things to do, but it does its job of giving you another port on the way back to Miami. We went snorkeling and had fun doing that. The free BBQ was nice. We laid out and i would say that this was the second best port.

This itinerary is just OK, i would strive to find a better one in the future. Less tenders is a good thing and excursions are your friend.

Overall, i had fun on my vacation and the cruise was good, not great. I will probably not be back on an NCL ship in the near future. But minor to medium flaws for me may not be the same for you. I don't let things like this ruin my vacation, i just keep them in mind when picking out my next vacation.

Mrviles,

I don't know how much you have cruised before, but I would guess not many times or certainly not in the past few years. Why do I say this? Because first, the nickle and diming, what does NCL charge for that other lines do not? You mentioned the only line that does not let you bring liquor on board: Carnival will not allow anything, not even wine and this has been their policy for over a year, the same with RCI. The only things with added tips are spa treatments and bar orders, these are standard and have been for years on all cruise lines. You way you paid $57 for the tappenaki's. I am a little confused, how come $57.00, last I knew it was $25 per person...If you can get a great habachi dinner at home with good entertaining chefs, I would love to know where you live cause that isn't the way it is here. In most cities we have visited or lived in, we are talking $20 to $30 per person, you are saying $14 per person, right? I have eaten in many specialty dining rooms on other cruises, NCL charges less than most others. Carnival is $30 or $35, Celebrity charges $35, Princess $20 and up. So I am amazed you didn't even think Le Bistro, at $20 was worth the money.

I will not comment on the rest of your review as much of it is subjective, but I would say, no, do not go on NCL again, your opinion is just too negative and your experience will be very similar to what you encountered on the Pearl. If you have never cruised before, I would saying cruising is not for you as you don't understand it, if you have, it must have been years ago and the industry has changed.

Oh, I just read some of your other posts, it looks like your only previous cruise experience was on Carnival (a 5 day cruise) and you mentioned your got bored from time to time. Maybe this is telling you something.

Nita

Hello, i am debating on whether or not to take a $200 discount on the Norwegian Gem coming up in December. I would really like any thoughts or comments from my March review of the Pearl. Thanks.

The Norwegian Pearl is beautiful on the outside and the decor is in the inside. This was going to be a great cruise as i first entered the ship on 3/20. I was wrong, because the cruise was good, not great. I am 25 years old and this was a great time of year to cruise, mostly because spring breakers were on the cruise (even a whole sorority from West Virginia U!)and there were many people in my general age group.

Instead of bore you with all the mundane details (like half of these reviews do, i read many of them). I am just going to point out things that made the trip better or worse.

The Stateroom- I don't spend much time in my room (why would you?) so we opted for the inside cabin. Our steward was great and was very friendly. The inside is pitch black and you need to watch your time if you need to wake up early. Happy with our state room.

The Food- I like having many options for lunch and dinner. The problem is the best cover charge restaurants cost too much. a $57 bill for Tappenyaki is just too much for something i can pay $28 total at home. Le Bistro was great too, but also just too much for the experience. The Lu Cucinia(sp?) was good and was much more fair $10, but of course, not as good. The food at the Buffet is just mediocre for all three meals. Overall, i would say the food is a strong point if you shell out the cash and don't mind about shelling it out.

The Ship- From the start of my review, you would guess i would rate this positively, but i cannot. The most important aspect of any structure is the interior architecture. There were simply not enough common rooms and not enough space within those common rooms. Want to take a beautiful picture in the ship? well, they do that in the medium-sized common room with two restaurants upstairs and a shop, bar, projection screen and reservation desk downstairs. Simply put, there was not enough room is the supposed "big" room. The decor is very nice and i like the overall look to the ship, but the functionality is lacking. The stateroom hallways are too narrow, you will likely not be able to walk next to anyone. The sundeck is too small, if you want to tan and you don't wake up early, you will have to go lay out where there is no pool or jacuzzi somewhere on the upper deck sides. I also thought the ceilings were too low in between decks. Maybe one less deck and adding some inches from the floor would make me feel less claustrophobic.

The Entertainment- I would have given this the most scathing review i could if it wasn't for Second City, the improv comedy group. The entertainment was terrible. How they got the best entertainment award in 2008 is beyond me. Our cruise director did her job, but Jill was not funny at all, something that should be a prerequisite of a CD. The singing and dancing was very odd, they stole other broad way shows acts and of course, would not let you tape or photograph it. They were good i guess, but singing and dancing is not my thing. Oh what a night! did the same three songs the three times i saw them (different days too). The hypnotist was EXACTLY THE SAME during her stardust theater show and "adult" night show at the spinnaker lounge. She finally said or did something different a half hour in when she was giving the recipients suggestions. Brenda Kaye really needs to switch things up in her setup and execution. But what made me more angry than anything else was the comedian. David Naster was just plain awful. He did say some funny stuff, but jokes were few and far between. He cared more about the details of his stories than the actual jokes. His pacing was terrible. I have heard his jokes from elsewhere before. I made the choice to see him several times, so it is partially on me. But what else am i supposed to do at 7:30? His shows got progressively worse through out the cruise. I walked out twice. Thank God for Second City, they were hilarious, witty, and were very clever. I had to miss their first show to eat at Tappenyaki (which was good, but i would have not gone then if i knew i could see Second City)

Nickle and Dime- Just way too much on this cruise. I am on vacation, i don't want to have to worry about this type of thing (yes i knew it was going to happen to an extent, but knowing it and experiencing it are two different things). Excursions were too expensive, Drinks are too expensive(the $31 total with tip bucket of 5 beers is the best deal!), No toothpaste in the bathroom, overpriced mini-bar, and the annoying "additional tip" on every receipt got to me after 5 days. Of course, NCL is the only line that does not let you bring on your own alcohol, so it makes things worse.

The Ports:

Samana- Received a free tender (uncomfortable, btw) to Cayo Levetando. We had to get a ticket and wait for the tender. The island was packed because NCL made it free. We could not find chairs for 2 hours. We walked around, had a coconut drink and swam. Then we finally got a seat and laid out. I would not go to Samana again, just not enjoyable enough. Maybe an excursion that wasn't free would be better.

St. Thomas- Great Port. We went to Coral World without the excursion. It cost the exact same amount of money (cab, entrance fee), so you may as well just do the excursion. I fed a stingray and had a great time with all the wild life. Very interesting. We then did all of our souvenir shopping and got that done.

Tortola- meh, we walked around to figure out what to do. We ended up taking one of the island tours ($20 pp). The sights were very nice, but they get you to a beach for a half hour where you have to pay to sit, lol. I didn't like any of the excursions listed, so i would not come back to Tortola, the island just seems limited for tourists.

Great Stirrup Cay- Another Tender(ugh)and you go to NCL's private island. The island is small with not many things to do, but it does its job of giving you another port on the way back to Miami. We went snorkeling and had fun doing that. The free BBQ was nice. We laid out and i would say that this was the second best port.

This itinerary is just OK, i would strive to find a better one in the future. Less tenders is a good thing and excursions are your friend.

Overall, i had fun on my vacation and the cruise was good, not great. I will probably not be back on an NCL ship in the near future. But minor to medium flaws for me may not be the same for you. I don't let things like this ruin my vacation, i just keep them in mind when picking out my next vacation.

Some ports are better than others.. and truthfully, Caribbean is just to layout on beach and relax, not for the sights. Not in Samana and certainly not in Tortola. If you want sights, go on a different itinerary.

I agree with you on Samana, I cruised with Royal last year, and it was the worst port. They didn't even make the island free, it was a $40 excursion.

I love NCL for the specialty food, but like you said, you have to set your budget. For example, we only eat in specialty restaurants, but I know beforehand I will spend $400 extra just on food and tastings [2 people].

Maybe cruising is not for you?

We went on the same ship and itinerary and actually thoroughly enjoyed it. We went with an expatriate Terry in Samana and had a wonderful time horsebackriding through the island and enjoying local fare. St Thomas we had an amazing time snorkeling at Sapphire Beach and went to Virgin Gorda on a ferry ride on Tortola (or maybe it was the other way around??...)...anyway, I thought the center room was gorgeous and really enjoyed the layout of the ship.

I say all this since as you can see we are NCL fans. Their ships and variety suit us well. Pearl was arguably my favorite and I think you would come home feeling about the same with the Gem.

Not sure if you went on the Port of Calls Board. I have always found AMAZING things to do there on my own and through NCL when the time was short. Good luck on your next trip!

I've never even stayed at a hotel that had toothpaste in the room (unless you asked for it at the front desk) why would you think a cruise ship would have this?

Because carnival did, but i really don't care too much about that. I bought some toothpaste from the gift shop that day.

Thank you for your review. The only thing that really surprised me was your reaction to Tortola since one of my all-time favorite excursions was out of Tortola. Seeing The Baths at Virgin Gorda on a private charter! Just heavenly!! Lots of ports don't have much to say for themselves if you don't plan something ahead of time.

Thank you for your review. The only thing that really surprised me was your reaction to Tortola since one of my all-time favorite excursions was out of Tortola. Seeing The Baths at Virgin Gorda on a private charter! Just heavenly!! Lots of ports don't have much to say for themselves if you don't plan something ahead of time.

I haven't missed many islands in the Caribbean and The Baths is one of the coolest places I have seen down there. Very interesting with all the rocks and not just a flat beach.

To answer your question...no, you probably shouldn't take the discount and try the Gem. Normally, I'm in the camp that believes you can't just write off an entire line based on one experience. But, in this case, many of the things you took issue with on the Pearl are also going to be present on the Gem so unless you decide to adjust your expectations and decide that some things are not that important to you, you'll be setting yourself up for the same disappointment.

There won't be toiletries in your bathroom on the Gem. There will be specialty restaurants with the same cover charges on the Gem (I admit that I don't get this one - where do you get the same meal and experience as Le Bistro for less than $20 on land? Because you certainly can't in my hometown!). The space issues you had on Pearl will also be present on Gem given that they are the same class of ship and therefore have similar layouts. The "nickel and diming" will be the same and as others have pointed out, you will find extra charges for things on every major cruiseline, though maybe some are more overt than others about it. Entertainment will be similar.

You have every right to feel the way you did about your cruise, that was your experience. But, based on your comments about the Pearl, you will more than likely have the same experience on the Gem.

By the way, NCL does allow you to bring wine onboard. They charge $15 corkage per 750 mL bottle. No liquor, though.

Everyone has different opinions. We thought David Naster was great and we thought Second City was awful. :D

I have never stayed in a hotel of any caliber that had toothpaste in the bathroom. I'm not sure why you think a cruise line should provide it.

Based on your review I would think that cruising might not be for you.

I think a lot of people expect too much of what is essentially a ship that has to cater to a huge number of people, feed a huge number of people, entertain a huge number of people, and clean up after them. Perhaps they believe those commercials about being catered to all the time. We have taken about 20 cruise on Royal Caribbean, NCL, Princess, and Celebrity. They all seem to offer the same product as far as I am concerned. It is not an upscale product, but we did not pay for one. Go on Cunard. Go on Windstar. Pay for an upscale experience, and you will get one. Most people can't or don't want to pay for it. That's fine. But don't squawk that you didn't get one. We look at a cruise ship as a bus really, one that takes us to ports we want to go to. We expect average food, average entertainment, an average room-- and we are never disappointed. As a matter of fact, one of the best cruises we took was a Mediterranean cruise on that clunker the Galaxy just before they sold her. The ship was a mess. the seat back even fell off ahead of us in the theater. But we had a super time. Lighten up, people.

I will try to answer your questions as best i can.

Mrviles,

I don't know how much you have cruised before, but I would guess not many times or certainly not in the past few years. Why do I say this? Because first, the nickle and diming, what does NCL charge for that other lines do not? You mentioned the only line that does not let you bring liquor on board: Carnival will not allow anything, not even wine and this has been their policy for over a year, the same with RCI.

This is incorrect, carnival you are allowed to bring in one bottle of liquor i believe per person per bag. i am unsure of RCI. Also, NCL charges an insane corkage fee that is usually more expensive than the wine you want to bring.

You way you paid $57 for the tappenaki's. I am a little confused, how come $57.00, last I knew it was $25 per person...If you can get a great habachi dinner at home with good entertaining chefs, I would love to know where you live cause that isn't the way it is here.

$57 was the entire bill (two people plus tip). I live in Buffalo, NY there are several places here similar and they even give you alcohol.

In most cities we have visited or lived in, we are talking $20 to $30 per person, you are saying $14 per person, right? I have eaten in many specialty dining rooms on other cruises, NCL charges less than most others.

Carnival is $30 or $35, Celebrity charges $35, Princess $20 and up. So I am amazed you didn't even think Le Bistro, at $20 was worth the money.

I don't remember any specialty restaurants on the Carnival Triumph at all. I don't quite think those numbers of each line are 100% correct, but i do not have them in front of me. Also, Le Bistro is $25 a person and if i wanted the steak (which i did) it was extra.

I will not comment on the rest of your review as much of it is subjective, but I would say, no, do not go on NCL again, your opinion is just too negative and your experience will be very similar to what you encountered on the Pearl. If you have never cruised before, I would saying cruising is not for you as you don't understand it, if you have, it must have been years ago and the industry has changed.

This is a very rude thing to type. My review i believe was slanted toward the negative, but this does not mean i "do not understand cruising". I also gave pros as well as the cons.

Oh, I just read some of your other posts, it looks like your only previous cruise experience was on Carnival (a 5 day cruise) and you mentioned your got bored from time to time. Maybe this is telling you something.

Please elaborate, since you say i do not understand cruising, please tell me how i am supposed to feel.

From what I understand (reading the reviews) The toothpaste that Carnival supplies in their staterooms is part of an assortment of free (travel size) promotional toiletries. Sometimes there is a razor...antacid...conditioner...etc. The exact product selection can change from cruise to cruise. I would never count on the availability of one of these products enough to avoid bringing my own from home. Ive never sailed on a ship yet, that offered this.

Some ports are better than others.. and truthfully, Caribbean is just to layout on beach and relax, not for the sights. Not in Samana and certainly not in Tortola. If you want sights, go on a different itinerary.

I never said sights were my main concern, that was just one of the few excursions i was interested in. and i did go to the beach, like i said. In fact both Samana and Tortola we tried to just lay out on the beach, and had issues even with that, as described in my review i am confused by your comments.

I agree with you on Samana, I cruised with Royal last year, and it was the worst port. They didn't even make the island free, it was a $40 excursion.

I love NCL for the specialty food, but like you said, you have to set your budget. For example, we only eat in specialty restaurants, but I know beforehand I will spend $400 extra just on food and tastings [2 people].

Maybe cruising is not for you?

this is also confusing as i do not see specialty restaurants to be the "be all end all" reason for cruising. I believe many people would agree with me.

To answer your question...no, you probably shouldn't take the discount and try the Gem. Normally, I'm in the camp that believes you can't just write off an entire line based on one experience. But, in this case, many of the things you took issue with on the Pearl are also going to be present on the Gem so unless you decide to adjust your expectations and decide that some things are not that important to you, you'll be setting yourself up for the same disappointment.

Thanks for the advice

There won't be toiletries in your bathroom on the Gem. There will be specialty restaurants with the same cover charges on the Gem (I admit that I don't get this one - where do you get the same meal and experience as Le Bistro for less than $20 on land? Because you certainly can't in my hometown!). The space issues you had on Pearl will also be present on Gem given that they are the same class of ship and therefore have similar layouts. The "nickel and diming" will be the same and as others have pointed out, you will find extra charges for things on every major cruiseline, though maybe some are more overt than others about it. Entertainment will be similar.

Le Bistro is $25. And i said Tappenyaki equivalents are close to my home in Buffalo. NCL seems more overt than other lines to me, and if the entertainment is similar i am definitely going to skip the Gem.

You have every right to feel the way you did about your cruise, that was your experience. But, based on your comments about the Pearl, you will more than likely have the same experience on the Gem.

By the way, NCL does allow you to bring wine onboard. They charge $15 corkage per 750 mL bottle. No liquor, though.

Yes i did know this, $15 is insanity imo. And no liquor like you stated.

Everyone has different opinions. We thought David Naster was great and we thought Second City was awful. :D

Opinion is right. But there is a huge difference between a hack like Jay Leno and a man with talent like Louis C.K.

to each his own though.

OP sorry your cruise did not live up to your expectations.

I have traveled the same itinerary on the Dawn, and my next hopefully planned very soon will be a different itinerary on the Pearl

My thoughts after reading your review and no I don’t feel anyone including you should feel this way.

Food: I had no problems as a picky eater trying to find food to my liking on either the Dawn or the Star, so I don’t see this being an issue for us on the Pearl. And we do try to do one night at Cagneys as an extra special treat. Food is totally subjective so if you were not impressed with your choices on the Pearl I really doubt the Gem will impress you either.

The ship: I’m sorry I don’t really understand what your issue with here is. I guess I just never paid attention to how big the “common rooms” were. The narrow hallways; yes they are but I would rather have the extra storage space in my cabin than the hallway width. Although I do say, I could see someone having issues with this if they used walking aids, wheelchairs or scooters. Again I’m not seeing the Gem having much different that what you have described as being an issue.

Entertainment; I don’t do many of the shows but know I don’t like second city, yet a lot do. I really have no idea what the Gem has for shows, but probably more of the same.

Your reference to nickel and diming is what I consider lots of a la carte options and that is what NCL is all about freestyle choosing. Therefore you definitely won’t like the Gem because it is NCL freestyle. As for “NCL is the only line that does not let you bring on your own alcohol”, I’m not sure how accurate that statement is.

Ports; I loved the ports on that itinerary. I did lots of research, knew exactly what to expect and what we would enjoy seeing and experiencing. And I wasn’t disappointed in any of it. But I’m glad they have made many upgrades on Great Stirrup Cay since we were there, maybe a little less Robinson Crusoe feeling, but then again that had it’s quaint treasures as well.

The Gem in Dec. does not go to those ports, that problem would be solved. So you are right, perhaps and little more research would probably help with this issues you had there, trying to choose an itinerary that didn’t have as many tendering trips.

I’m glad you had fun, but perhaps NCL isn’t for you if the above mentioned things were a problem. As stated those are NCL (possibly some apply to other lines as well, I can’t speak for those).

Been on the Pearl, and don't agree with everything you wrote.

But David Naster? ¡Caramba! That boy just ain't funny.

I still don't "get" what you and others mean by "nickel and diming." Carnival pushed all the same extra stuff on me that NCL did, I saw no difference. What am I missing?

Coming off Epic recently, having a hard time undwerstnading your negatives, but do appreciate your opinions.

GF and I loved Teppanyaki restaurant. No way could we dine at a hibachi restaurant for that aount of money, and have it taste so good with exemplary service.

Again....a matter of taste but I've hears Louie CK several times, and seen both of his TV shows (one cancelled, the current one about to be cancelled) and he doesn't even make me grin.

Maybe because you went during Spring Break things were worse than expected. That's probably the worst time you can cruise.

This is incorrect, carnival you are allowed to bring in one bottle of liquor i believe per person per bag.

Rules are constantly changing on cruise lines and Carnival is no exception.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx#q-544510

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle (750 ml. size) per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only)

While $15 corkage fee for a bottle may seem excessive most restaurants already have a 100 to 200% mark-up on wine. So wine that you pay $15 for in a store may cost $30-35 on board. This is common for restaurants on cruise lines and in my local neighborhood.

The stateroom hallways are too narrow, you will likely not be able to walk next to anyone. The sundeck is too small, if you want to tan and you don't wake up early, you will have to go lay out where there is no pool or jacuzzi somewhere on the upper deck sides. I also thought the ceilings were too low in between decks. Maybe one less deck and adding some inches from the floor would make me feel less claustrophobic.
Every cruise ship I have been on are like this and I've sailed Carnival, Princess, RCI and NCL. Ceilings are low and it can be hard to find a chair right next to the pool unless you get there early. This has been my experience on all lines, not just NCL.

It might be best for you to look into a all-inclusive land based vacation that includes all drinks, food etc. You can then know the full price up front and not worry about any extra charges.

For myself I find cruising to be the best value around... and I enjoy every aspect of it! To each their own which is the benefit of having so many choices.

Rules are constantly changing on cruise lines and Carnival is no exception.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx#q-544510

Confiscated Items

Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle (750 ml. size) per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only)

Been that way for YEARS. I have watched them confiscate liquor bottles for at least 7 years.

I still don't "get" what you and others mean by "nickel and diming." Carnival pushed all the same extra stuff on me that NCL did, I saw no difference. What am I missing?

I oft ask that same question of people who throw that up and have yet to get a legit answer. It usually involves something along the lines of their "perception". AKA, just my opinion and not based in anything close to reality.

ALL the mainstream cruise lines have extra stuff they try to sell. It's a business, it's what they do.

A person can go on a cruise on ANY of the mainstream cruise lines and not spend a dime beyond the DSC if they choose and have a fantastic time. NCL is certainly no exception.

I also love how especially Carnival fan bois and gurls love to gloss over that CCL does the same stuff. I actually found it more troubling while eating in the MDR on the Carnival Triumph this past fall to be offered a $15 extra charge to get a better steak than the included "flat iron steak".

Of course their rant will typically include some statement about the food in the MDR on NCL being inedible so you HAVE to pay extra to find something fit to eat. Uhm, what exactly is the message if you tell me in order to get a decent steak in the MDR I have to pay you another $15?

Geez, at least stick it in a separate room and call it a specialty restaurant. Of course other Carnival ships have PAY EXTRA specialty venues in the form of their steak house which the same whiners choose to ignore.

Sounds like that could be called nickel and diming to me. shrug.gif

Bottom line is there is always going to be an element of people that simply refuse to have any objectivity.

Archived