Would you visit Dominica again?

sweets2323

We've been there twice and I plan to visit again. We've visited Trafalgar Falls, the Emerald Pool, Mr Nice Fruit Stand, Middleham Falls, Titou Gorge, a black sand beach and snorkeled at Champagne Reef. Next visit we plan to visit the Carib Territory. Dominica is a beautiful island, with very friendly people.

Absolutely. It's unique in being one of the least developed Caribbean islands. As a result, it has one of the lowest hassle factors, and lots of beautiful unspoiled nature spots and hiking. Also one of the only surviving populations of Carib indigenous people.

If you prefer duty-free shopping in every port, this may not be the island to pick (although there were a few shops). But even people on our cruise who were not into pristine nature had a good time, just hanging out in town enjoying cheap drinks. It's a very unique place.

Would you visit this island again.

I am trying to pick where I would like to go on the cruise,.

So i wanted your input

Thanks so much Guys and Dolls

Cruised on Ruby Princess in 2009. Am going back on Norwegian Dawn in 2011.

If you are of the aquatic inclination, try Champagne Springs snorkeling!

champagne.jpg Amazing.

I hope to get back there again soon. I loved Dominica. We did the river tubing excursion through Princess this past April and it is my favorite excursion to date. The guides were terrific and the ride there and back was breathtaking. Next time, I do want to get to the Emerald Pool, Titou Gorge, etc. Simply a great port stop!

• 5 weeks later...

I would love to do the tubing but I have a back that can go out. It's fine now and has been for months.

Looking at the tube, I think it might be a problem. So does my chiropractor.

Has anyone done a tubing tour had back problems?

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
We've been there twice and I plan to visit again. We've visited Trafalgar Falls, the Emerald Pool, Mr Nice Fruit Stand, Middleham Falls, Titou Gorge, a black sand beach and snorkeled at Champagne Reef. Next visit we plan to visit the Carib Territory. Dominica is a beautiful island, with very friendly people.

Wow rjscott, that sounds like an incredible time in Dominica!!! We are going in 2 weeks and I love the idea of everything you mention but you've been there twice. What would you recommend that we do that fits in a one day visit definitely including the Champagne reef snorkeling? Did you hire a guide or use taxi or have recommendations etc??? Truly would appreciate your input;)

Thanks!

Kim

Hi, Kim! Yes, what I've listed there was done over the 2 visits. ;) For a first-time visitor, I would recommend the Emerald Pool (so beautiful!), Mr. Nice Fruit Stand (fun, and some local flavor) and Trafalgar Falls, if there's time to do this as well as Champagne Reef. We did use a local guide both times, as we had such a great time on our first tour. We used Reyno Tours http://www.reynotours.com/ Reyno has modern vans with good A/C, and he provides a guide with his tours, which is a very nice touch. We had Rosalyn both times. She is a lot of fun, but also very informative in pointing out places of interest along our drive and plants and flowers along our hikes.

Wow such great reports, i must have missed something, as its one place i wouldnt particuarlly want to return too. we went 2 years ago. We are just back from ventura, and chose the itinary without dominica and st vincent, much prefering the option for curacoa, and aruba.

When in dominica, Feb 10, we did the river tubing, which i love, but unfortuately the waters were quite low, and we kept scraping along the bottom of the river in lots of places, but with more rainfall, it would have been great, having done it in jamaica, and it was awsome.

Think Dominica is one of those places you need to do a tour, so if i do go again, i will plan ahead more. Having said all this, the people were probably the most friendly and welcoming of all our cruise stops.

Wow such great reports, i must have missed something, as its one place i wouldnt particuarlly want to return too. we went 2 years ago. We are just back from ventura, and chose the itinary without dominica and st vincent, much prefering the option for curacoa, and aruba.

When in dominica, Feb 10, we did the river tubing, which i love, but unfortuately the waters were quite low, and we kept scraping along the bottom of the river in lots of places, but with more rainfall, it would have been great, having done it in jamaica, and it was awsome.

Think Dominica is one of those places you need to do a tour, so if i do go again, i will plan ahead more. Having said all this, the people were probably the most friendly and welcoming of all our cruise stops.

Yes, from friends who also did river tubing in Dominica; if the water levels are too low, it is a huge disappointment. You will end up dragging your tube more than you are floating in it.

And, yes, you definitely want to take a tour while on Dominica. There is not a whole lot of interest that is walkable from the port.

Archived