Short or Long Form Birth Certificate

My husband and I are going on our first cruise in October. We have decided to travel with our BC. I plan on going get the copies this week. When I printed out the paperwork it says I can get a short-form or a long form???!!! Which one do I need???!! :confused:

It all depends on what state it was issued in. On my first cruise, we didn't have passports. I am from Alabama and have an 8 1/2 x 11 bc and my ex husband is from Ohio and his is a small bc. I was told by carnival that if our state offered the long form, we must use it. It has more info on it like parent's names etc.

I am traveling with a friend of my child's (19) and he has a "transcript of birth" with a raised seal from the State of New York. I called the city he was born in and they said it is fine.....BUT THEY DON'T WORK AT THE PIER FOR CARNIVAL!!!!

The last thing I want is to see this kid standing on the pier alone as the ship pulls away with the rest of us on it.......

Has anyone ever traveled with the "Transcript of Birth" issued by NYS with a raised seal and watermarks on the paper. It is also 8 x 10......

I cruised in 2007 with a "Birth Announcement" which I had always thought was my birth certificate. This was OK by Carnival then. I only found out when I went to get a passport that it was not the correct form. I ended up getting the correct form from the state I was born in. I'm would guess that what your child's friend has is probably OK but that's a GUESS. Maybe try calling Carnival and explain what you have to see if that will work.

I would always recommend getting a passport when traveling out of the country. They are relatively cheap and last a long time. Without one you may not be able to fly back to the US in case of emergency.

No one wants to be stuck in a foreign country while they or their loved one is dying.

I would always recommend getting a passport when traveling out of the country. They are relatively cheap and last a long time. Without one you may not be able to fly back to the US in case of emergency.

No one wants to be stuck in a foreign country while they or their loved one is dying.

They will not stop an American citizen from getting back into the Country without a passport. They may have a more difficult time getting back in, but please don't make people feel they will NEVER get back in the USA because they don't have a passport!

They will not stop an American citizen from getting back into the Country without a passport. They may have a more difficult time getting back in, but please don't make people feel they will NEVER get back in the USA because they don't have a passport!

I don't think the poster was trying to make anyone feel this way. I do see his point though. It would be more diffiicult and can be very time-consuming.

I would, personally, never leave the country without my passport. We feel much more secure by having it.

I used to work at a passport issuing agency and there are a lot of people out there who do not realize that what they have is not an official birth certificate.

If it has a foot print on it - it's not official

If it was issued by a hospital - it's not official

If it is a birth announcement - it's not official

If it is a baptismal - it's not official

If it is a birth registration - it may not be official.

It's hard to say what it should look like because they vary from state to state, year to year. One of my children was born in Florida and had a laminated card with a raised seal in addition to a 5 x 7 paper copy with a raised seal - both were "official", my other children were born in NY and some have 5 x 7 sized, one has 8 1/2 x 11 - all official issuances from the state.

What you need is a document issued by the government agency in charge of such documents in your state. They do not always bear a raised seal. When in doubt, go on the internet, spend $25 and get one by mail in less than 2 weeks. I would rather spend $25 than be left standing on a pier somewhere.

Edited by BaseballMomof4

You could spend a many days somewhere waiting on the US consulate for travel documents.

You will not get on an airplane in a foreign country without a passport.

It is not a pleasant experience to get put off the ship somewhere and having to spend days trying to get travel documents so you can get back to the USA.

Yes, eventually you will get back into the USA. Eventually could be a long time when your sick or have a family emergency.

Thanks everyone!! We live in Louisiana and the office that issues them is about 10 minutes from where I work. I plan on going some time this week. They say that you get them while you wait and they are $15 each.

We have never cruised before and are hopeful that the BC will be fine.

If you are going to the office, ask what the difference is between the short and long forms. In some states the short and long forms have basically the same information so both are acceptable for all purposes. In other states, the short form is missing information that is required for certain things (like getting a passport). You want the birth certificate with the most complete amount of information.

You could spend a many days somewhere waiting on the US consulate for travel documents.

You will not get on an airplane in a foreign country without a passport.

It is not a pleasant experience to get put off the ship somewhere and having to spend days trying to get travel documents so you can get back to the USA.

Yes, eventually you will get back into the USA. Eventually could be a long time when your sick or have a family emergency.

than just stay on the ship! This post was not about the merits of a passport and all the what if's that you might encounter that are slim to none, but whether the OP can get on a ship with a particular type of BC.

When we board do I need to bring my marriage lic. too??!! My BC is gonna be in my maiden name and my drivers lic in my married name!!:confused:

Plenty of people told me I didn't need it, but I'm bringing mine anyway for the same reason (along with my birth certificate, drivers license and social security card! I like to be over-prepared!)

Plenty of people told me I didn't need it, but I'm bringing mine anyway for the same reason (along with my birth certificate, drivers license and social security card! I like to be over-prepared!)

I think I might do the same!! This is our first cruise so I don't know what to expect. I would hate to get there and not have something that I need!!

• 2 weeks later...