Alaska help

Jls08234

hi and congratulations on booking your alaska cruise. go too the alaska thread and you will find all questions answered there. we will be glad too help. too summerize, take layers and be prepared for the most gorgeous landscape you will ever see. have a great time.

You are going to have a wonderful time. Just a few helpful hints you might want to consider.....bring some extra hangers (like the ones you get from the dry cleaners) I never seem to have enough. Don't forget an alarm clock - becasue your sleeping might be a bit off. I also like to bring a shoe holder -- the cheap ones that you can find in a dollar store. This can keep all your little "things" organized. Chip clips are great for the bottom of the shower curtain - it will stop it from blowing in on you while you are showering. These are just general hints....not necessarily for Alaska...but maybe they will help a bit.

Hi everyone! My husband and I just booked Spirit on June 28th to Alaska. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We have no idea where to start. Thanks. :cool:

So happy you joined us on the roll call! :D

I agree with the PP about going to the Alaska Port of Call board. TONS of information there. Also, feel free to ask any questions you'd like on our roll call (we're a nice bunch. ;)).

Some tips for planning in such a short time:

• Start thinking about clothing now (think layers--t-shirts, long sleeves, jackets--so you can take things off if we have warm weather)
  • Reports are that the bugs are bad this year, so get some insect repellant
  • If you're prone to seasickness, figure out your plan (Sea Bands, Bonine, etc)
  • Take a look at the excursions offered (look at the Carnival site) to get an idea of what you'd like to do in the ports
  • One excursion you can book only through the ship is the Tracy Arm excursions (there are several of us from the roll call doing that one) where you get on a smaller boat and hopefully get closer to the glacier
  • Make sure you have plenty of media for your camera--I always take extra cards and at least one extra rechargable battery

And, that's probably enough for now without overwhelming you! :D

Cheers!

My wife and I will take our 4th Alaska cruise in Aug. Last time we sailed there on the Spirit and loved it. All of what has been offered to you I agree with. Our favorite excursion is the Train Ride at Skagway--It is just spectacular and just about the right length. Enjoy!!

I did Carnival's Tracy Arm itinerary on the Spirit and the whole thing was awesome. I cruised last year with Holland America on an Alaskan cruise and the food and service on the Spirit was every bit as good if not a little better. (Be sure to order the chocolate melting cake at least once and go to the steakhouse if you can)

Our family booked a train ride and mushers camp tour in Skagway, Whale watching in Juneau, (Incredible tour), salmon fishing in Ketchikan, (DW caught a 22 lb salmon), we had a nice evening in Victoria walking around.

Bring layers of clothing and sunscreen and extra memory cards for your camera.

Have fun!

Get a good Camera,(take alot of pictures its not like you are there everyday ) ... Get some good Binoculars,(for your Balcony or Lido Deck).... Bring your Appetite and your good attitude,... be ready for some Rain and read these boards and reviews when you get closer to Sail Date ...and the rest should work out

The Spirit is a Great Ship you will love Alaska The Inside Passage is like Sailing on Ice.

When we went four years ago, I was so impressed on the Alaska board with "budgetqueenalaska" and the info she gave. If any of these tips help you half as much as she helped me, I will have paid it forward.

1. Juneau - book whalewatching with Orca Enterprises in Juneau for top-notch professionalism

2. Don't miss the Skagway Railroad - must bring your passport off the ship, you'll go into Canada!

3. Ketchikan - book with Island Wings for an 8-person seaplane flight you will remember the rest of your life. I am not kidding. With your experienced pilot who knows her Misty Fiords like they are neighborhood streets, you can relax and watch the most exquisite scenery of your life. Don't take a small boat - they barely get into the fiord in 4 hours. Take the plane!

4. We flew into Anchorage, spent the night at a perfectly nice Comfort Inn, acclimated to the time, and toured this nice city for a day. We left the following day. If your schedule permits it, it's a relaxed way to start. Two words: reindeer chili! Yes you will like it!

5. See if you can book the Leopard Comedy Tour Bus to the port. History, trivia, prizes, corny jokes, and a stop at a wildlife refuge nursery on the way.

6. Enjoy all the wildlife on the shore; if possible, book a balcony room, order up some coffee and hot chocolate, and curl up on your balcony for the living, ever-changing show.

A different Carnival Spirit Alaska itinerary, but here are lots of pictures from a couple of years ago:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalSpirit/Alaska/index.htm

I peeked in to this thread, 'cause I've never been to Alaska and have a cruise in May 2012...

I've never gone wrong following your advice!!! THANKS!!!

My first time ever to Nassau, I lead a tour with your walking tour photos and directions!!!

THANK YOU!!!!

Get a good Camera,(take alot of pictures its not like you are there everyday ) ... Get some good Binoculars,(for your Balcony or Lido Deck).... Bring your Appetite and your good attitude,... be ready for some Rain and read these boards and reviews when you get closer to Sail Date ...and the rest should work out

The Spirit is a Great Ship you will love Alaska The Inside Passage is like Sailing on Ice.

I've been thinking about this!!!

I want to get a good zoom lens. I think it will be helpful and necessary here!!!

I did Carnival's Tracy Arm itinerary on the Spirit and the whole thing was awesome. I cruised last year with Holland America on an Alaskan cruise and the food and service on the Spirit was every bit as good if not a little better. (Be sure to order the chocolate melting cake at least once and go to the steakhouse if you can)

Our family booked a train ride and mushers camp tour in Skagway, Whale watching in Juneau, (Incredible tour), salmon fishing in Ketchikan, (DW caught a 22 lb salmon), we had a nice evening in Victoria walking around.

Bring layers of clothing and sunscreen and extra memory cards for your camera.

Have fun!

My roomie just sent off the email to reserve the Tracey Arm excursion for us!! Can't wait!!!!

I need to look at the train ride. I LOVE trains!!!

My Alaska cruise was one of my favorites!!! You have to splurge and get a balcony!!! We saw all kinds if wildlife from ours!! Alaska is breathtaking!!! I agree with everyone else remember to bring layers of clothing, a good camera, binoculars, a rain poncho, gloves and sunshades.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!!!

If you can swing the helicopter to a glacier that would be my recommendation. It was truly a once in a life time experience. I did it in Skagway 8 years ago and still talk about it. Have been on an Alaskan Cruise twice and would like to go again - all of the suggestions are excellent ones especially going to the Alaska Board great info.

Just thinking and wonder:

Since Alaska is US... Will we have free Internet connections in port, if our Internet Provider has wi-fi in Alaska??? Does anyone know???

Do many post live, for free, while in port???

---OR--- since we're on vacation, do most folks just wait till they write their review???

---AND--- can we download to our photo-memory on-line, while in port -- letting us empty our media cards???? (Places like Photobucket???)

Just wonder if anyone knows...

Since Alaska is US... Will we have free Internet connections in port, if our Internet Provider has wi-fi in Alaska??? Does anyone know???

---OR--- since we're on vacation, do most folks just wait till they write their review???

---AND--- can we download to our photo-memory on-line, while in port -- letting us empty our media cards???? (Places like Photobucket???)

It all depends on how you connect. If you have an air card, you will be charged domestic rates, Same with your phone. When in port it is just like at home, if you carrier has service in Alaska.

When we were in Haines and Juno I was able to Hack into other networks for Internet but we were on the Princess Regal ...not sure if you can get a different signal from the Spirit...I am sure it depends on where you dock the ships as well if you can get a signal

THANK YOU!!!!

Woodey and zqvol... We'll see how connections work, and I'll ask my carrier for tips!!! :)

So, I have my Tracy Arms excursion booked and a confirmation letter back...and I don't cruise till May 2012!!!

I keep popping in to look for new tips...

What fun this is! I do appreciate everyone taking the time to help us. It is making Randy and I even more excited, if that's possible. :D

I'll be looking for your review!!! I want photos and all the fun!!!

I'm a year away till my cruise... but this thread has been a blessing with ideas and tips!!! Thanks for starting it!!!

Maybe there will be more ideas!!! PLEASE!!!!??????!!!!!

We just got off the Spirit 2 days ago. I have AT&T cell phone service and was able to get a strong signal everyday except the Days-at-Sea. I even had a signal for about 4 hours after leaving Seattle, then I got a text message from AT&T saying International data rates of $14.36/min would now apply. So that's when I switched over to airplane mode. But in each of the Alaskan ports of call I always had a signal. My husband looked into it before we left and it does appear, though, that AT&T is the only carrier with service throughout Alaska. So I don't know if service would be the same for those with other cell phone carriers. A few times, I would write reviews for my blog (http://www.TourMyTexas.com) at night and then post them in the morning after we arrived at port. But that's a project I'm still working on...Ha!

My husband looked into it before we left and it does appear, though, that AT&T is the only carrier with service throughout Alaska. So I don't know if service would be the same for those with other cell phone carriers. A few times, I would write reviews for my blog (www.TourMyTexas.com) at night and then post them in the morning after we arrived at port. But that's a project I'm still working on...Ha!

We have Verizon and had service at all of the Alaskan ports (just not Vancouver)

Fantastic cruise. I recommend it to everyone. In Junea, we just caught the bus in town ($5?) out to Mendenhall Glacier (first 2 pictures). At Sitka (3rd picture) we just walked up to the historical building (don't remember the name right now, but where the totem poles are), but before you got there there was a small aquariam aka college lab area where you could see native sea plants/creatures like their brightly colored starfish all at no charge. Then we went back and sat on the aft Lido deck and watched a whale do flips all across the bay. One of those perfect days!

864431465_MendenhallGlacierrev.jpg.c1303cd44dfbdd3424fe384ca6993ac5.jpg

1566495759_Mendenhallrev.jpg.e8438d4e3cbd662a01b9d74b24193e22.jpg

419237519_Sitkarev.jpg.443dab23c9d2bbbaf02bde47e808c483.jpg

Archived