Cruising Canaries in January?

We're thinking of booking for a Canaries cruise 6th Jan12, or maybe a cruise and stay, but my DH is dubious about the weather. I'm not expecting it to be hot, but don't want to be too wrapped up. Has anyone any experiences to share or recommendations for a hotel for the stay part?

Thanks,

Rosie:)

Hi Rosie,

We were not here in Jan. but the end of December 2009 and it was warm to hot throughout. A bit dull in Tenerife and Gran Canaria, but it was sunny and hot in Madeira and Morocco. So hot in Morocco we could not sit out on the balcony.

My colleague in work was persuaded by our Canaries cruise to take her 1st one and she had lovely weather and that was January this year.

Berwyn

We went to Lanzarote 4 years ago and the weather was so bad we haven't been back since! However I'm sure this isn't always the case, we were just unlucky and if you're on a ship at least it will be warm, we were in a hotel and it was freezing.

We went to Lanzarote 4 years ago and the weather was so bad we haven't been back since! However I'm sure this isn't always the case, we were just unlucky and if you're on a ship at least it will be warm, we were in a hotel and it was freezing.

You always get some awkward sod to put the dampers on it :D

Berwyn

Sorry:( but it is the truth.

On a different topic I hope you enjoy your cruise, and as I believe you are going to Italy have a pizza for me:).

Hi Happy,

Fair doos, weather is not your fault

Sounds like typical British weather. Like her this weekend, we had 2 days where the temps were high 70's then next day it was 57F. Brrr!!

We are in Italy and other ports from Saturday onwards, I'll have a pizza for you and one for me too :D

What sort do you like? 6.gif

Berwyn

Hi Happy,

Fair doos, weather is not your fault

Sounds like typical British weather. Like her this weekend, we had 2 days where the temps were high 70's then next day it was 57F. Brrr!!

We are in Italy and other ports from Saturday onwards, I'll have a pizza for you and one for me too :D

What sort do you like? 6.gif

Berwyn

Depends on where you are? In Rome any, but when we went to Naples thought we should really have magherita:D and it was stunning

Depends on where you are? In Rome any, but when we went to Naples thought we should really have magherita:D and it was stunning

Hi we satrt cruise in Venice then next Italian stop is Napoli :D The home of pizza.

Itinerary is Venice (Stay overnight on ship), Dubrovnik, Corfu, Olympia, Athens, Mykonos, Kusadasi( for Ephesus) Rhodes, Santorini, Naples and Ctavecchia to fly home :(

Sop only chance of good pizza is Naples

Berwyn

You'll have a great time lots of lovely destinations and like a lot of people I am really looking forward to your review of the "big ship" when you get back.

Yes, I've already been given instructions to report back here as to how the "big ship" compares to the small Thomson ones.

Berwyn

hi berwyn just make sure you come back after your cruise to let us know how it went. dont get pouring any alcohol over the laptop this time. have a great cruise and then when you are back i go not that i will wish your cruise away still got loads to do at work before i go.

hi berwyn just make sure you come back after your cruise to let us know how it went. dont get pouring any alcohol over the laptop this time. have a great cruise and then when you are back i go not that i will wish your cruise away still got loads to do at work before i go.

Hi Shirley,

Don't worry i will report back on the difference between the two cruise lines. Dw is not let anywhere near alcohol+ laptop any more :D .

Same here,I am working till Friday 8a.m. and we are off to the airport at 3.30 a.m Saturday morning. So no sleep for me Friday until bedtime for a few hours.

We are determined to have a good time, I hope you do too.

Berwyn

We've been to Tenerife for New Year and Gran Canaria in December for land-based holidays. The weather was pretty hot, in the 20's, most of the time. You might get some rain and it can be chilly if you go up into the mountains. Take some layers and a waterproof.

We are going on Destiny to the Canaries for New Year, flying out on Boxing Day. I'm hoping for some sunshine but accept it won't be as hot as last New Year on her in the Caribbean.

Carol x

We're thinking of booking for a Canaries cruise 6th Jan12, or maybe a cruise and stay, but my DH is dubious about the weather. I'm not expecting it to be hot, but don't want to be too wrapped up. Has anyone any experiences to share or recommendations for a hotel for the stay part?

Thanks,

Rosie:)

Hi Rosie...............planning another eh? Don't blame you - go for it and enjoy!!! ;)

Haven't done the Canaries in January but have stayed at the Guayarmina Princess in Costa Adeje, Tenerife (with Thomson) and found it pretty good;

http://www.thomson.co.uk/destinations/europe/spain/tenerife/costa-adeje/hotels/hotel-guayarmina-princess.html

After doing quite a few cruises though I must say it has affected our impressions of hotels a bit - the entertainment is nothing like on board and evening meals are buffet style but with plenty of choice and good but just not as good as the ship. It is in a good location though by the sea with quite a lot of sun-loungers and pool space and we enjoyed it sufficiently to go back a second time.

The only draw back I'd say is that we elected to have a room on a higher floor overlooking the pool (good views) but they are arranged on walk-ways around an impressive atrium which does echo a bit. The noise from the bar could be heard in the rooms we had but it did quieten down by around midnight. But the rooms on the ground floor (I think they may be mainly family rooms) have no outlook much at all.

The sister hotel, the Bahia Princess is directly behind the Guayarmina. the Bahia is 5T rated and the Guayarmina 4T.

http://www.thomson.co.uk/destinations/europe/spain/tenerife/costa-adeje/hotels/hotel-bahia-princess.html

We had a look round the Bahia and found it's situation less appealing than the Guayarmina (not on the sea front) and it has a lot of steps to get down to the dining room which seemed a bit detached from the rest of the building. I don't know why it has a higher rating but we returned to the Guayarmina rather than the Bahia for our second visit - although to be fair the judgement was made on very superficial issues. Having not stayed there I can't actually say anything about food, service etc.

Anyway, happy planning Rosie - not long until you're off again. Have a great time! :D

Thanks Kruzseeker, that's very helpful.

We were thinking of the Caribbean and doing the stay part in the Dom Rep, but now they're doing room only in Barbados. I love Barbados but it's mega expensive for meals and drinks.

Because of some health concerns with my DH, we'll probably have to leave it fairly late to book and just keep fingers crossed that we'll get in.

Failing that it could be the Mersey Ferry as I'm determined to be 'on the water' on my 60th!

Rosie :)

we went to los cristianos for 2 weeks in february 2010 and had horrendous weather rain and flooding was glad to come home and spent an absolute fortune. saying that would try cruising. i think the seasons are changing as we always used to go early january and had fab weather. this year went to mexico all inclusive for 2 weeks hardly spent anything and had the most fantastic experience. and it wasnt any dearer than the canaries and overall worked out cheaper

We were thinking of the Caribbean and doing the stay part in the Dom Rep, but now they're doing room only in Barbados.

There is 1 hotel they do that is AI.

Doing a trial booking, cheapest price coming out in Janaury with a stay is £1438 each, at a room only hotel, but the Barbados Beech Club is coming out at £1588 each, so only £150 each more, and that includes all food and drink.

Hi Rosie...............planning another eh? Don't blame you - go for it and enjoy!!! ;)

Haven't done the Canaries in January but have stayed at the Guayarmina Princess in Costa Adeje, Tenerife (with Thomson) and found it pretty good;

http://www.thomson.co.uk/destinations/europe/spain/tenerife/costa-adeje/hotels/hotel-guayarmina-princess.html

After doing quite a few cruises though I must say it has affected our impressions of hotels a bit - the entertainment is nothing like on board and evening meals are buffet style but with plenty of choice and good but just not as good as the ship. It is in a good location though by the sea with quite a lot of sun-loungers and pool space and we enjoyed it sufficiently to go back a second time.

The only draw back I'd say is that we elected to have a room on a higher floor overlooking the pool (good views) but they are arranged on walk-ways around an impressive atrium which does echo a bit. The noise from the bar could be heard in the rooms we had but it did quieten down by around midnight. But the rooms on the ground floor (I think they may be mainly family rooms) have no outlook much at all.

The sister hotel, the Bahia Princess is directly behind the Guayarmina. the Bahia is 5T rated and the Guayarmina 4T.

http://www.thomson.co.uk/destinations/europe/spain/tenerife/costa-adeje/hotels/hotel-bahia-princess.html

We had a look round the Bahia and found it's situation less appealing than the Guayarmina (not on the sea front) and it has a lot of steps to get down to the dining room which seemed a bit detached from the rest of the building. I don't know why it has a higher rating but we returned to the Guayarmina rather than the Bahia for our second visit - although to be fair the judgement was made on very superficial issues. Having not stayed there I can't actually say anything about food, service etc.

Anyway, happy planning Rosie - not long until you're off again. Have a great time! :D

We must have the same taste, Kruzseeka - we stayed in the same hotel as you as part of our Cruise & Stay :). I must admit, it was a lovely hotel but I would do stay then cruise; it was almost a "come-down" going to a hotel after the superb entertainment, food etc on the ship - I wish we'd done it the other way around!

Also, Rosie, be warned with Canaries Cruise - not sure if you've done one before; we loved it and loved all the stops but if you're not a great sailor, it does get a bit rough heading for Morrocco - we had 2 or 3 quite choppy nights on-board and that was in April - I'm not sure if it would be worse in January! Enjoy Naples soon!:)

We did the ganaries cruise on 2 jan 09 and had lovely weather, was mid twenties all week, was a bit drizzly in maderia when we visited the botanica gardens, was early morning and didn't last very long

We must have the same taste, Kruzseeka - we stayed in the same hotel as you as part of our Cruise & Stay :). I must admit, it was a lovely hotel but I would do stay then cruise; it was almost a "come-down" going to a hotel after the superb entertainment, food etc on the ship - I wish we'd done it the other way around!

Also, Rosie, be warned with Canaries Cruise - not sure if you've done one before; we loved it and loved all the stops but if you're not a great sailor, it does get a bit rough heading for Morrocco - we had 2 or 3 quite choppy nights on-board and that was in April - I'm not sure if it would be worse in January! Enjoy Naples soon!:)

Hi Jules - another conicidence - how often does that happen with us all on here? :) I do know what you mean about cruise and stay - I think I'd adopt your approach and go for the stay and cruise for exactly the same reason. But I do understand how some view the prospect of a 'chiil out' after their cruise is attractive - we always come home exhausted! Must have something to do with me not wanting to miss anything! :eek:

Hi Jules - another conicidence - how often does that happen with us all on here? :) I do know what you mean about cruise and stay - I think I'd adopt your approach and go for the stay and cruise for exactly the same reason. But I do understand how some view the prospect of a 'chiil out' after their cruise is attractive - we always come home exhausted! Must have something to do with me not wanting to miss anything! :eek:

Perhaps a 2 week cruise then a week's stay is the answer??!!!

We were exhausted after our last cruise and really could have done with a week to sleep and recover afterwards - too much burning the candle at both ends! :)

Thanks all, you've given me a lot to think about. The Anderton Boat Lift could be a close rival to the Mersey Ferry - thanks Berwyn.

We might think about about doing a back to back Caribbean cruise if we can get an outside cabin on a late booking. I hadn't fancied two weeks around the islands, thought that they might be too similar, but the islands on this cruise look quite interesting, especially the Dutch ones. I know there are lots of other cruise lines, but I'd rather stick with Thomson as we've really enjoyed the atmosphere and friendliness on board, plus the brilliant entertainment. :)

Archived