the ride....

ddean52

Hello:

We have done 3 transatlantic crossings on Windsurf (312 pax) with another one booked for next Apr, and have not found the movement bad. She does tend to pitch & roll a little in heavy swells but she does have stabilizers & the ride is not uncomfortable. Not having traveled on a large ship I have no comparison but I would think there would be less movement on a larger ship.

HTH

June

Hello:

We have done 3 transatlantic crossings on Windsurf (312 pax) with another one booked for next Apr, and have not found the movement bad. She does tend to pitch & roll a little in heavy swells but she does have stabilizers & the ride is not uncomfortable. Not having traveled on a large ship I have no comparison but I would think there would be less movement on a larger ship.

HTH

June

June, thanks for the info. We have done many large ship cruises and a river cruise in Europe, but Windstar, has caught my focus, like wind in a sail!!:rolleyes:

Dean

We cruised on Wind Spirit in the Caribbean last March. It was our first Windstar experience and I was very surprised at how little movement there was. I felt it was actually less noticeable than on a large ship.

There are stabilizers and I think because you are travelling close to the water line there is much less "sway". We only had one evening where the swells were pretty high and the only movement in our cabin on deck one was the gentle sway - perfect for sleeping.:D

I've been on a TA and a Med cruise on the Surf and found the motion generally similar to larger ships. The one time it got a little unsettling was on the TA where we ran way ahead of schedule and spent a few hours under exclusive sail power. Under those (very slow) conditions the stabilizers can't do much and the movement was minor but a bit abrupt. If they plan to do that they'll announce it in advance, and you might want to take precautions if you're sensitive.

Haven't yet been on the smaller ships.

Roy

• 1 month later...

We have sailed twice in the Mediterranean on the Wind Star and the Wind Surf. I'm a "fragile" sailor ---easily upset. I had NO problems except one evening when we left a port and it was stormy. I wasn't the only one tho.

The ship had a bowl of free meds at the reception desk for those who wanted them and with one pill I slept thru the night (and the storm). They are wonderful ships, the crews are fantastic and the memory of being under sail marvelous.

Archived