Elegant Casual / Semi formal?

thecumbrian

Doing a crossing from New York to Southampton on the QM2. I have done a few cruises before but not with Curnard.

The dress codes are given has Formal which I understand.

But ELEGANT CASUAL and SEMI FORMAL are new ones to me?

I will have my tuxs for the formal nights (4), but don't really want to take a suit or jacket for the other evenings (two elegant casual and one semi formal). I normally just wear dark trousers and a dress shirt for anything that is not formal.

Will I be ok with dress shirt and trousers, or will I feel like I have turned up at the table in speedo's ? :D

Doing a crossing from New York to Southampton on the QM2. I have done a few cruises before but not with Curnard.

The dress codes are given has Formal which I understand.

But ELEGANT CASUAL and SEMI FORMAL are new ones to me?

I will have my tuxs for the formal nights (4), but don't really want to take a suit or jacket for the other evenings (two elegant casual and one semi formal). I normally just wear dark trousers and a dress shirt for anything that is not formal.

Will I be ok with dress shirt and trousers, or will I feel like I have turned up at the table in speedo's ? :D

Elegant casual and semi formal are very similar, you require a jacket for both and the main difference is that with EC you do not need a tie.

Ah, the dress code again, again.

There is no night when shirt sleeves are acceptable. It's jackets all the way.

Will you not be wearing one when you embark? If not, you should. One less item to pack.

The only difference between ELEGANT CASUAL and SEMI FORMAL is a necktie, but you may well find that most men wear a tie every night.

Get into the spirit, you'll enjoy it!

Stewart

Thanks for the advice and information.

In the UK the wearing of jackets seems to gone out of fashion, unless its for something that requires a suit such as a wedding. But going to a restaurant is normally dress shirt and trousers, if that.

I will be wearing tuxs for the formal evenings. But don't really want to be taking a jacket and using some of my 23kg allowance up. I will be flying to NY and sailing back to Southampton.

I have been on other cruise lines on formal evenings and been sitting at the table with people in just shirts and thinking why do I bother wearing tuxs. I think a lot of people are rebelling against dress code.

So now I know Cunards elegant and semi formal dress code, if I turn up in dress shirt and no tie, will I just be one of many who are dressed that way with some in jackets.

Or are you refused admission to the restaurant? Not that I would ever want to push the recommended dress code to this limit, but I have seen people in tee shirts and jeans on formal nights.

In the QG you would not be allowed in. I've heard that sometimes in the Britannia an odd person has got away with it (emphasis on the "odd").

You have to understand the whole ethos of Cunard and about 99.5% of us would not like to see it dumbed down.

It would be so much easier if you just adhere to it rather than try to make statements. Honestly, you will enjoy the atmosphere better.

I have met people on board who've admitted it was a big mistake to go with Cunard as they prefer casual dining etc. That's fine and there are plenty of lines that cater for that style. It's just Cunard isn't one of them.

Stewart

Thanks Stewart

Think I will just take my tuxs and my dark suit. Tuxs for the formal and dark suit for the ELEGANT CASUAL and SEMI FORMAL and just wear a tie for both with the suit.

It would be easier to just wear tuxs all the time, but then I would be over dressed for the ELEGANT CASUAL and SEMI FORMAL evenings.

You will feel out of place if you do not adhere to the dress code -- Cunard is not like other lines where almost anything goes. Most who travel on Cunard like the formalness at dinner -- such a change of pace from normal. Bring a jacket -- you will be glad you did.

Thanks Stewart

Think I will just take my tuxs and my dark suit. Tuxs for the formal and dark suit for the ELEGANT CASUAL and SEMI FORMAL and just wear a tie for both with the suit.

It would be easier to just wear tuxs all the time, but then I would be over dressed for the ELEGANT CASUAL and SEMI FORMAL evenings.

You could leave the tux at home, just take a dark suit and that would work for all of the dress codes. A lot of people do just that.

Doing a crossing from New York to Southampton on the QM2... don't really want to take a suit or jacket for the other evenings... I normally just wear dark trousers and a dress shirt for anything that is not formal. Will I be ok with dress shirt and trousers... ?

Hello thecumbrian

If it helps (and I know you've decided to take a dark suit), I've just returned from a Transatlantic Crossing on Queen Mary 2 and didn't see gentlemen NOT wearing jackets in the evenings in the restaurants, bars or on deck (on the odd occasion the back of a bar chair was wearing the jacket, but that was an exception).

Have a great time, Bon Voyage!

Why? :confused:

It probably makes more sense to read the whole paragraph rather than quoting a few words out of context, as I went on to point out that it's one less item to pack. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

When I embarked last month, I had 2 jackets in my case and one on my back.

Stewart

I hope this doesn't offend anyone.

The dress standards required are available in places such as the Cunard web site, the welcome pack etc. Why do people keep asking about the minimum requirements? If we are told that the recommended dress is trousers, shirt, tie and jacket, then that is what you should wear.

Cunard should add a sentence stating that anyone falling below the recommended standard will be refused entry to the restaurant and any nominated bars. I have cruised on other lines where people have not adhered to the required standards and the staff don't seem to care. In fact, we went on an Alaskan cruise last year and between us we both managed to pack enough clothes to meet the required standard and plenty of hiking type stuff as well. If two of you are flying, that will mean 23Kg each, in other words a total of 46Kg between you. Then don't forget you have a cabin allowance that can be used and also you can wear bulky clothes as well (just take it off once onboard and stuff it in the overhead locker).

Jackets are not unfashionable in the UK as some establishments still insist you wear them.

Please Cunard maintain the standards as some of us really appreciate them.

Thanks all for the replies. I will be wearing a jacket / suit for the non formal evenings.

But I will go slightly off post now, please don't tell me that before the 6pm introduction of dress code, that if I want to wear a tee shirt, shorts and sandals that won't be allowed.

I draw the line at wearing tailored shorts, polo shirt or tailored shirt with white knee length socks, black shoes and pith helmet. lol

I hope this doesn't offend anyone.

The dress standards required are available in places such as the Cunard web site, the welcome pack etc. Why do people keep asking about the minimum requirements? If we are told that the recommended dress is trousers, shirt, tie and jacket, then that is what you should wear.

Cunard should add a sentence stating that anyone falling below the recommended standard will be refused entry to the restaurant and any nominated bars. I have cruised on other lines where people have not adhered to the required standards and the staff don't seem to care. In fact, we went on an Alaskan cruise last year and between us we both managed to pack enough clothes to meet the required standard and plenty of hiking type stuff as well. If two of you are flying, that will mean 23Kg each, in other words a total of 46Kg between you. Then don't forget you have a cabin allowance that can be used and also you can wear bulky clothes as well (just take it off once onboard and stuff it in the overhead locker).

Jackets are not unfashionable in the UK as some establishments still insist you wear them.

Please Cunard maintain the standards as some of us really appreciate them.

Don't worry the dress code is safe in my hands, I did start this post before going to the Cunard website. I asked the question because I did not want to show myself up or spoil things for other people. But I am not on a campaign to wear swimwear in the restaurant :eek:

If Curnard are refusing people entry into certain areas if they are not following the dress code, then they should say it is compulsory and not recommended.

You don't know my wife, just because we have 46kg between us, means that I have 23kg allocated. But I will try and get a bigger allowance.:D

I have always wanted to do a crossing from New York, so this will probally be my only time with Curnard.

During the day, you may wear what you like (within reason), but remembering that shorts etc are not permitted in any of the restaurants, only the "smash and grab".

After 6 pm, and if you are casually, but reasonably dressed, then you won't be thrown out of the bars (eg polo & slacks), but you may be asked to leave if it's shorts & a T shirt.

I can guarantee that you'll understand better when you get aboard and doubt if this will be your last trip!

I'm really not sure how consistently enforced the dress code is. A few years ago on a QM2 TA in QG, there was a gentleman sitting at an adjacent table who wore jeans almost every evening, even on a formal night. And by the third formal night, many men in QG were simply ignoring the recommended dress, and pretty much dressing in elegant casual mode.

On a 12-night Mediterranean last year on the QV, many, many men were wearing shorts to lunch in QG on the sea days. No one looked askance.

My sense is that the dress code is less strictly enforced in the Grills. But certainly, all the men wore at least a jacket to dinner every night.

Why? :confused:

While I probably won't be wearing one, IF I were flying into a debarkation port AND I need to keep my bag weight down for the flight, wearing a jacket might help. Also, for the first night, I would probably be wrinkle free. As far as I've been able to observe, ALL first nights are Smart Casual.

I'll be leaving for my 2nd Cunard cruise in a few days and besides my Tux, I'll be bringing a sports jacket that I'll wear on both Semi-Formal and Casual nights. I'm guessing that on my last 21 day Cunard cruise, on Semi-Formal nights, close to half if not more of the men were wearing a sports jacket with a tie in stead of a boring black/navy suit.

To satisfy Cunard's 3 dress codes, I had tailor made in Bangkok a dark navy blue suit with 2 pairs of pants -- normal pair with cuffs, and a pair with satin stripe down the side, no cuffs. That set, plus a pair of khaki slacks, meant I combine the jacket with the 3 pairs of pants, and the appropriate shirt with bow tie, regular neck tie, or tie-less, and I'm good for formal, semi-formal, or elegant casual. Cost of the suit in Bangkok, US$280.

For shoes, I use my ballroom dance shoes for tuxedo nights and for ballroom dancing in the Queen's Room. All other times, I use a Bally casual shoe with rubber sole and black leather upper for travel, semi-formal, elegant casual, and light sports use like paddle and table tennis tournaments. Total 2 pairs of shoes, the Bally worn and the dance shoes packed.

With this general set-up, including other items, my luggage is carry on for air flights -- usually an Antler roller plus a personal bag -- total weight about 13 kgs, all in. On embarkation and disembarkation, I carry my own luggage on/off board the ship. I travel solo on Cunard only. No waiting for luggage, first off the ship, etc.

Are you staying a couple of days in NYC? If so, go to Macy's or Bloomingdales and buy yourself a new jacket or suit - at 50% the price you would pay at home in the UK. That way you can save on your 23kg baggage allowance when flying, still meet the Cunard dress code and bag yourself a good bargain too!

Also, I find a blazer works well on Elegant Casual nights.

Are you staying a couple of days in NYC? If so, go to Macy's or Bloomingdales and buy yourself a new jacket or suit - at 50% the price you would pay at home in the UK. That way you can save on your 23kg baggage allowance when flying, still meet the Cunard dress code and bag yourself a good bargain too!

Also, I find a blazer works well on Elegant Casual nights.

What excellent advice. Travel light and get a new wardrobe whilst in NY :)

Whilst you are there make sure you buy a new suitcase to get all your new clothes home.

We want to do an Eastbound crossing and we will shop in NY.

Aboard th QM2 last week , at the World Club repeaters party , the Captain Wright actually polled the audience as to who prefered to have more Formal nights and who prefered more Semiformal nights.

The response seemed week for more Formal nights and to be louder for more Semiformal nights .

However , we did not applaud either choice as we were waiting for a 3rd choice , to cheer for more Elegant Casual nights (which the Captain never asked :()

Aboard th QM2 last week , at the World Club repeaters party , the Captain Wright actually polled the audience as to who prefered to have more Formal nights and who prefered more Semiformal nights.

The response seemed week for more Formal nights and to be louder for more Semiformal nights .

However , we did not applaud either choice as we were waiting for a 3rd choice , to cheer for more Elegant Casual nights (which the Captain never asked :()

If you want casual, then choose a different line.

rosler28:

There is a difference between Elegant Casual and Casual .

Cunard offers Elegant Casual . Who said anything about "Casual"?

Point of my posting was that perhaps not everyone that enjoys Cunard

is wanting more Formality than it is currently onboard, and perhaps less?

Yes, we are not stuck on one cruise line . We enjoy them all for their differences as well as their simularities.:)

rosler28:

There is a difference between Elegant Casual and Casual .

Cunard offers Elegant Casual . Who said anything about "Casual"?

Point of my posting was that perhaps not everyone that enjoys Cunard

is wanting more Formality than it is currently onboard, and perhaps less?

Yes, we are not stuck on one cruise line . We enjoy them all for their differences as well as their simularities.:)

I would be happy with no Elegant Casual at all. We, in fact, enjoy the odd week where we can dres up. That is why we book Cunard.

So why book Cunard when you know their standards and then complain about them?

Archived