Unique Eats/Drinks?

Jrabbit128

We are going on our first Alaskan cruise in September going to Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, and Victoria. My husband (not me) is an adventurous eater/drinker and loves trying local foods where ever we go. Anyone have any suggestions about restaurants or bars we should not miss? Any information would be great!

Thanks!

Not really "unique"....well, except for their MASSIVE size - try the King Crab Legs (and crab bisque doesn't suck either;)!) at Tracy's Crab Shack right on the dock in Juneau, next to the parking garage/library. YUM!!!

I see you aren't going to Sitka where we've had excellent reindeer sausage, but I'm sure either Skagway or Ketchikan has those as well. Try it, you'll like it!

Will you be spending any time in Anchorage before your cruise? I have family up there and one of our favorite places to go when we visit is Alaska Wildberry. This is a candy store that carries a lot of interesting alaskan food products. We like to buy fireweed honey and reindeer jerky! They have a website with directions if you want to check it out. We are going on Princess's Voyage of the Glaciers in July and we will be spending one night in Anchorage. I hope we get a chance to go by there while we are in town! :)

Reindeer sausage has been mentioned, and is available a lot of places for breakfast, etc.

Lots of salmon, and we had great salmon club sandwiches at Annabelle's in Ketchikan.

I also saw a recommendation to buy some birch syrup. It isn't cheap, but I bought a small bottle, and have since ordered some from this year's production.

King crab and dungeness crab are also plentiful and delicious.

After king crab, our favorite is fried halibut and chips. The two small food shacks on Ketchikan's dock are good.

Does feel weird though. 100-200 feet away on the ship is a free buffet, yet we are spending money for food. :D

I second Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau. We ate there in May and it was AMAZING! Much better than I could ever have imagined. Everyone on the boards said it was worth the price. I just couldn't fathom it. So glad I decide to just do it and forget the price. Yes, it was very pricey, but I truly think it was the best food I have ever eaten. It tasted like heaven on my tongue. Can't wait to go back there the next time I am in Juneau!

If you have a sweet tooth, try Russian tea. It is made without alcohol and with alcohol. The old fashioned recipe is without alcohol and is served hot.

Eash family generally has their own recipe. Ours included steeped black tea (strong), sugar, Tang (that 1950's era orange drink powder), more sugar, spices and more sugar.

The younger folks in the family make it with orange Gatorade instead of Tang and add booze.

Amazing we have any of our natural teeth, but Russian tea was a treat.

We are going on our first Alaskan cruise in September going to Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, and Victoria. My husband (not me) is an adventurous eater/drinker and loves trying local foods where ever we go. Anyone have any suggestions about restaurants or bars we should not miss? Any information would be great!

Thanks!

Well you might consider these meat options: moose, caribou, bear, buffalo, sheep, goats, Ptarmigan (similar to a grouse), Salmon Roe (eggs/caviar) and snowshoe hares.

I am not sure you can find whale meat, whale blubber or seal meat as harvesting whale and seal is very restrictive to tribes who will only use it for personal consumption and not for public sale.

Veggie Options: Fiddle Fern, Giant Dandelions, Rose Hips and a large variety of wild berries.

Now all you have to do is find these things in the ports of call you are visiting.

Happy Chomping

Thank you for all the options!! My hubby specifically said to me, "I want to see all the wild animals in Alaska, and then find out how they taste!" As I mentioned, he is the adventurous one! I made a list of all these items and will be keeping an eye out for all these things!! Does anyone know if there is any liquor/beer that can only be found in Alaska?? He would REALLY enjoy that!

King Crab Legs and fish are a must in Alaska!! We had reindeer sausage from a street vendor in Anchorage. They serve them like hot dogs and it was delicious! In Denali, we had reindeer sausage, ground elk, and buffalo mozzarella pizza from Prospector's Pizza!

Read the detailed review with photos of my Alaska cruise, packing list, and shopping tips:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/category/cruises/alaska-2010/

Thank you for all the options!! My hubby specifically said to me, "I want to see all the wild animals in Alaska, and then find out how they taste!" As I mentioned, he is the adventurous one! I made a list of all these items and will be keeping an eye out for all these things!! Does anyone know if there is any liquor/beer that can only be found in Alaska?? He would REALLY enjoy that!

There seems to be a brewery at most ports.

Skagway brewing company http://www.skagwaybrewing.com/

Alaskan Brewing Company http://www.alaskanbeer.com/

Archived