swollen feet during cruising partially answered.

Carolin

I think everyone is right, to some point and visa-versa.

Fact: Alaska cruise, no swelling (CCL Spirit)

Fact: Last Cruise to E. Carribean: very little swelling (Freedom)

Fact: Large ETOH consumption all cruises:eek:

Fact: Had breakfast in MDR on Spirit and Freedom almost everyday

Fact: Did not inhale large amounts of bacon in MDR.:o

Fact: Medical Dr. suggest change in altitude (live at 5800ft.), but this doesn't account for last two cruises.

Fact: Have always drank ships water.

Cannot differentiate further and both of us experienced similar results.

Change in diet, lack of exercise, salt intake, water intake, booze intake, and in my case dessert intake. Sad as it is, I try to eat on the cruise, as I eat at home, no salt! DH hates that, but I'm the one with high blood pressure. When I did start feeling poofy I took a mile walk around on the jogging track, and don't forget to put your feet up once in a while.

Has anyone else noticed the amount of salt from ocean air, and spray that accumulates on your balcony railings and such?

So, in addition to other added salt sources, you are absorbing salt through your skin?

I'm thinking those who live near an ocean this may not be as bad a problem...hmm.

Mike

Has anyone else noticed the amount of salt from ocean air, and spray that accumulates on your balcony railings and such?

So, in addition to other added salt sources, you are absorbing salt through your skin?

I'm thinking those who live near an ocean this may not be as bad a problem...hmm.

Mike

Interesting theory. Along those same lines, we're CONSTANTLY in the water on the beaches in port as well. Hmmm....

I have to disagree with this. My feet did not swell and we brought bottled water on board. However within a day or two I noticed some kind of deposit in my hair. I started rinsing it with a bottle of water after washing and it went away. I am positive it was the ship's water that was causing it.

Kathleen

um, that would be the sea air.

Mike

Your right. I live in the land of no salt water so there's more salt added to my intake. :D

Mike

According to netdoctor.com :rolleyes:, IF any salt is absorbed through the skin it would be minute, much less than normal intake from meals. As far as being in the water, that would only dehydrate you, as the concentration of NaCl in seawater is much higher than in your body. Therefore, water would be drawn from your cells.:o

Mike

I have terrible problems with swelling hands and even worse swollen ankles. I doublt being on a ship getting salt on your skin is the culprit since I live a couple of miles from the ocean.

I am a believer it is the food

According to netdoctor.com :rolleyes:, IF any salt is absorbed through the skin it would be minute, much less than normal intake from meals. As far as being in the water, that would only dehydrate you, as the concentration of NaCl in seawater is much higher than in your body. Therefore, water would be drawn from your cells.:o

exactly. that's why you don't drink seawater if you're in a lifeboat. they drink "other things" to survive.

my Rx water pills help immensely. I also think my swollen feet have to do with the fact I'm sitting upright so much of the time while travelling, like stuck in a plane and such. I also don't cook with ANY salt, so whatever they use in the galley has to be more than my body is used to.

same here. only thing i put salt on at home is cucumbers and corn on the cob. Travelling sees us sitting upright alot or walking/standing in line where blood can pool in your feet.

I have terrible problems with swelling hands and even worse swollen ankles. I doublt being on a ship getting salt on your skin is the culprit since I live a couple of miles from the ocean.

I am a believer it is the food

I think it's a combination of a number of things. I live near the ocean too but i don't have any swollen feet or fingers until summertime. Then i get "cankles" (calf and ankles sorta swell into one lol)

On a cruise, my feet are constantly swollen due to the heat and being on my feet all the time. I assume it's also from the food as i don't cook with salt here at home but there is no doubt tons of salt used in the food on the cruise.

Many reasons why people swell.. mine is medical due to DVT... and my one leg will swell immensely feels like it will bust... it is due to the humidity... I am here at home now .. in an A/C house but was out and about for work and such .. and my leg and ankle is now swollen.. 90 here with the heat index for the US people.. of 96... for us Canucks that would be 32.. humidiex 42... I have been on 10 cruises and my leg doesn't swell on everyone.. it will a tad but most often in the very warm humid ports...;)

Archived