swollen feet during cruising partially answered.

Carolin

I was watching the news this morning. We have a heat wave in our area. The news reporter was talking about hands and feet swelling. My cruiser ears perked up. Apparently, if our bodies are not use to the heat, our hands and feet swell. AH HA!! So when I travel from Michigan(approx. 20 degrees) in the winter to the Caribbean(80s) in February , my body is not acclimated to the new temp so my feet swell. TADA! Thank you Channel 4.

Here's an article. I hope it helps. :) Happy Cruising everyone.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5489057_reason-feet-swell-heat.html

How would the water on the ship cause your feet and hands to swell???

That question is debatable, but there are some who believe that drinking water that lacks minerals changes the way the cardiovascular system works, causing cells to uptake and retain fluid more than normally.

That question is debatable, but there are some who believe that drinking water that lacks minerals changes the way the cardiovascular system works, causing cells to uptake and retain fluid more than normally.

Ok...... interesting theory.

I live in Florida where it's hot (high of 94 today) and my feet are not swollen. However, they always did on cruises until I stopped drinking the ship's water. I drink bottled now and bring an otc diuretic just in case, but haven't had to use it since.

distilled ship water has nothing in it.

Now this is interesting. We know the water is not distilled but has gone through the Desalination process. I did some research on this. The process now includes extra steps to introduce minerals into the water to improve taste as well as provide minerals we need. This addition varies from country to country.

I wonder if we can ask John if the ships systems include this process?

Now this is interesting. We know the water is not distilled but has gone through the Desalination process. I did some research on this. The process now includes extra steps to introduce minerals into the water to improve taste as well as provide minerals we need. This addition varies from country to country.

I wonder if we can ask John if the ships systems include this process?

From what I know, they do add sodium back in but not other minerals. Desalination is distilling. That is how they desalinate the water.

However, ethyl alcohol is also a diuretic, so if you are drinking a lot of alcohol, even with the high amount of salt and MSG (presumably) in the food, you still might be at normal hemostatic levels.

my Rx water pills help immensely. I also think my swollen feet have to do with the fact I'm sitting upright so much of the time while travelling, like stuck in a plane and such. I also don't cook with ANY salt, so whatever they use in the galley has to be more than my body is used to.

However, ethyl alcohol is also a diuretic, so if you are drinking a lot of alcohol, even with the high amount of salt and MSG (presumably) in the food, you still might be at normal hemostatic levels.

Indeed! My concern on a cruise is always being dehydrated from the drinking. :)

The water on every ship I've been on is delicious and refreshing. And makes my feet swell. Could it be the food or as one suggested Heart Failure............ well as a matter of fact no, it couldn't.

For the simple reason that if I bring bottled water and drink only that (although I do drink the ship water at dinner, because that is what they put on the table) I don't get swollen feet or hands. Do I swell up terribly? No, but I'm aware of it, my rings are tighter, my shoes are tighter.

If it's Heart Failure it only happens on a ship or when I fly, and never on a ship if I bring my own water.

I wonder if the argument is more where you live? I live in Nebraska, no salt water anywhere, I'm sensitive to salt, and don't use a lot of it. My heart is fine, the rest of me is fine.

Maybe the people that live closer to the sea or have a higher salt content in their diet are less sensitive.

All I know is that bringing my own water works for me, doesn't have to do with taste but my bodies sensitivity to the water on the ship.

Not really sure why this is such a big deal to some, how about letting people do what they need to and not worrying so much about that which doesn't affect you?

Cheers, Carole

I agree that the food prep makes a big difference depending on the recipes and what you choose to eat. *raises hand* I'm guilt of not watching my salt intake via dining while on a cruise.

Next cruise I think I will bring one of those Brita water bottles and see if that helps. :)

distilled ship water has nothing in it.

I have to disagree with this. My feet did not swell and we brought bottled water on board. However within a day or two I noticed some kind of deposit in my hair. I started rinsing it with a bottle of water after washing and it went away. I am positive it was the ship's water that was causing it.

Kathleen

I have to disagree with this. My feet did not swell and we brought bottled water on board. However within a day or two I noticed some kind of deposit in my hair. I started rinsing it with a bottle of water after washing and it went away. I am positive it was the ship's water that was causing it.

Kathleen

If you read some of the articles on Desalination you will see that there are different levels of effiency with the desalination. Not all ships are created equally, some are much older and maybe don't have the state of the art system. This is just a guess, because I have no idea what they use for their system and to read the info on it would just put me to sleep before I finished.

But I am in agreement with you, the bottled water helps me too. If it works use it!!!!

Cheers, Carole

I'm surprised no one has ADDED the additional walking on the ship and while in ports as a potential cause ?

I'm a nurse and so on my feet walking much of my shift, which is 12 hours long!!! I read an article that stated as much as 15% of people are sensitive to salt. If you drink bottled water and don't get the swelling, to me that proves it IS indeed the water that is making you swell.

The water on every ship I've been on is delicious and refreshing. And makes my feet swell. Could it be the food or as one suggested Heart Failure............ well as a matter of fact no, it couldn't.

For the simple reason that if I bring bottled water and drink only that (although I do drink the ship water at dinner, because that is what they put on the table) I don't get swollen feet or hands. Do I swell up terribly? No, but I'm aware of it, my rings are tighter, my shoes are tighter.

If it's Heart Failure it only happens on a ship or when I fly, and never on a ship if I bring my own water.

I wonder if the argument is more where you live? I live in Nebraska, no salt water anywhere, I'm sensitive to salt, and don't use a lot of it. My heart is fine, the rest of me is fine.

Maybe the people that live closer to the sea or have a higher salt content in their diet are less sensitive.

All I know is that bringing my own water works for me, doesn't have to do with taste but my bodies sensitivity to the water on the ship.

Not really sure why this is such a big deal to some, how about letting people do what they need to and not worrying so much about that which doesn't affect you?

Cheers, Carole

BBM

Great Post!! I agree!!

Archived