Am I picking the right cruise line for Alaska? and other questions

Zelindar

Planning for a 2012 7-day round trip to Alaska and have a number of questions. Feel free to express your opinions :-)

There will be 7 adults and one toddler - all first time cruisers. Adult ages range from 40-ish to 70-ish and planning for a bucket-list cruise to Alaska for my in-laws. If I had a magic wand, we'd be taking a small ship cruise but it's out of our price range.

Am I correct that that HAL will have the smallest mid-sized ships and be the most casual? If we can, we'd much prefer to be in jeans and avoid formal dress. It's just not our style. We're also not into late night partying and would prefer a more educational, eco-friendly, laid back type trip.

Will we notice a difference between 1400 passengers and 1900 on a HAL ship? What about the larger Princess, or Celebrity, etc. Is HAL the way to go?

I know it's a matter of opinion but...

1. I've read that Tracy Arms can be skipped and Glacier Bay is much more spectacular.
    Inland Passage VS Gulf of Alaska even if that means we see Tracy Arms and miss Glacier Bay?
  2. We love cultural and historical tours so I'm trying to determine what ports are going to offer more than others, e.g. Sitka, Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau.
    For those of us more adventurous, any day trips for hiking or wildlife viewing that I should research more?
  3. Cabin choices - if we aren't the luxury lifestyle kind of people, inner cabins and use money for day trips or upgrade up a step or two?
  4. Month of trip - looking at late May or early June. Less rain and lots more sunlight.

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to CC

First go here to ports of call here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

You will find many threads, you can use the search function to find specific tops about all things or ask a newbie question.

My 2cents:

Pick Glacer bay especially if you must sail early May/June. I would say all months you should prepare for rain. Depending on what your priority is there are better months for specific things; wildlife, flowers, fishing, dogsledding etc.

I would say to be budget smart with a larger group consider a few inside and a few outside cabins so you have both private views and money savings too. IMHO I think outside cabins offer some scenic views but if they require to to sacrifice a excursion not worth it. There are thousand of free open space and even covered space on the lower decks that are FREE for scenic viewing.

I think ship size in Alaska for Celebrity, HAL, Princess, NCL are small patatoes. The larger question is do you want the more formal affair of HAL, free style of NCL, or something inbetween like Celebrity and Princess. I'm one to pick the cruiseline for the schedule/price and ports.

Happy planning

Planning for a 2012 7-day round trip to Alaska and have a number of questions. Feel free to express your opinions :-)

There will be 7 adults and one toddler - all first time cruisers. Adult ages range from 40-ish to 70-ish and planning for a bucket-list cruise to Alaska for my in-laws. If I had a magic wand, we'd be taking a small ship cruise but it's out of our price range.

Am I correct that that HAL will have the smallest mid-sized ships and be the most casual? If we can, we'd much prefer to be in jeans and avoid formal dress. It's just not our style. We're also not into late night partying and would prefer a more educational, eco-friendly, laid back type trip.

Will we notice a difference between 1400 passengers and 1900 on a HAL ship? What about the larger Princess, or Celebrity, etc. Is HAL the way to go?

1. I've read that Tracy Arms can be skipped and Glacier Bay is much more spectacular.
    Inland Passage VS Gulf of Alaska even if that means we see Tracy Arms and miss Glacier Bay?
  2. We love cultural and historical tours so I'm trying to determine what ports are going to offer more than others, e.g. Sitka, Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau.
    For those of us more adventurous, any day trips for hiking or wildlife viewing that I should research more?
  3. Cabin choices - if we aren't the luxury lifestyle kind of people, inner cabins and use money for day trips or upgrade up a step or two?
  4. Month of trip - looking at late May or early June. Less rain and lots more sunlight.

Thanks for your help.

HAL and Princess have the most permits into Glacier Bay. That was the big thing for us, so those were the two lines we looked at. We ended up with HAL. After two years we will be boarding on Sunday :D

We will have 10 in total, a present from my parents on their 50th. We will have 6 adults and 4 kids (12-17). Alaska cruises will be a little less formal. For our "formal wear" the men are packing suits or sports coats and ties. The women will be wearing dressy pants/tops, our one teen girl a nice "church dress", our 17 and 2 tweens will be in ties and dress pants. That is so we may eat in the MDR. If you do not prefer to wear "going to a wedding" type clothes on formal night then there are other places to eat. Our everyday wear will be jeans, fleeces, t-shirts, polos with smart casual pants (no denim) for dinner each night.

Alaska is port intensive, so I don't believe you will find many hard core stay up till the wee hours types....but I may be wrong.

HAL and Princess will have National Parks people board the ship for the day in Glacier Bay. There will be lots of educational events to take part of, or not take part of. Your choice. Today I downloaded HAL audiobooks/podcasts from their site on Glacier Bay (found them to be really interesting).

The only rule our party of 10 has (well, maybe it is two rules) #1 we don't need to be stuck together all day, each day. We are expected to go and do our own thing and #2 we must eat dinner together each evening so we can hear about what everyone did during the day.

I had a dear friend go on an Alaska cruise with her extended family (in-laws) and they did not have those rules....needless to say she didn't have too much fun as they were always waiting on someone who would be there in just a minute. She has decided she doesn't like cruising because of this ("I was trapped!"). Maybe I can change her mind- that it was the company and not the cruise :p. They also did "any time" dining, but then found they really preferred eating together with the same servers- so they had to really work to get the same table and servers each night. She was surprised when I told her that we always get fixed early dining...she didn't even know that was an option!

If you are new to planning big trips, find a great travel agent to work with. We have a great gal who has helped us a lot. Have fun and good luck!

We recommend Holland America as your first choice for your group.

First because they have very nice, larger, cabins. They have

excellent experience in Alaskan waters - and have experience personnel

on board to provide announcements and advice.

Also - you may have room service from the Dining Room Menu in

your cabin. Great if you are tired from an excursion and/or

just don't want to dress up for dinner. (There are specific

time frames to place your order). Also there are other more

casual dining options. Example: the Lido Buffet - a Grill

with Burgers, Tacos, Pizza; as well as a very nice 24 hour regular

room service breakfast. And my favorite: breakfast -

order your favorites - room service in your cabin.

Am I correct that that HAL will have the smallest mid-sized ships and be the most casual? If we can, we'd much prefer to be in jeans and avoid formal dress. It's just not our style. We're also not into late night partying and would prefer a more educational, eco-friendly, laid back type trip. You can go on Island Princess or Coral Princess for smallish ship, 1900 passengers. Alaska is almost always casual and you can skip formal nights by going to the Horizon buffet, the grill by the pool for burgers, hot dogs, chicken sandwiches, or you can have Pizza. There is also the Specialty Restaurants Sabatini's or the Bayou Cafe Steakhouse which would be "smart casual".

1. I've read that Tracy Arms can be skipped and Glacier Bay is much more spectacular. Definitely Glacier Bay!!!
    Inland Passage VS Gulf of Alaska even if that means we see Tracy Arms and miss Glacier Bay? Inside Passage... port side cabin southbound, starboard side northbound.
  2. We love cultural and historical tours so I'm trying to determine what ports are going to offer more than others, e.g. Sitka, Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau. It's Alaska, you'll find history everywhere. We loved Skagway![/COLOR]
  3. Cabin choices - if we aren't the luxury lifestyle kind of people, inner cabins and use money for day trips or upgrade up a step or two? This is one trip that you'll spend a good bit of time inside due to the temperatures. Book at least oceanview.
  4. Month of trip - looking at late May or early June. Less rain and lots more sunlight. We went in July and it was light almost all night... maybe 2 hours dusk. Not a lot of rain, but plenty of cold while on the water, nice in port.

Thanks for your help.

Have a great cruise. Look into adjoining cabins for your group.

We did HAL last summer. Formal was defined as sports jacket and tie for men, although there were many less dressed on formal nights. Also, the buffet serves many of the same items as the dining room during dinner hours.

If you can go out of Vancouver, rather than Seattle, you will have much more scenic viewing and won't waste an evening in Victoria (when there isn't much time to do anything).

We went the second half of June and never needed our rain gear (no guarantees on that). Sitka is probably the best port for history.

But, whatever you choose will be great and leaving you wanting to go back to see more.

Personally, I think the itinerary is much much more important than the cruise line or ship. The experience of Alaska is mostly off the ship with the exception of glacier days. If you go from mid-June on, I'd choose an itinerary with Hubbard Glacier over Glacier Bay every time. As far as ports go, it really depends on the kinds of excursions you want to do. We loved Sitka since it's still very quaint and not taken over by DI stores! We thought the few hours in Victoria were silly (but meeting a foreign port requirement) and would have loved more time there.

As far as HAL goes, I found it just shy of catatonic - NEVER again! If you want to go to Glacier Bay, I'd go with Princess. If going to Hubbard, X would be my choice.

Princess has onboard naturalists who provide commentary during scenic cruising, keep a watch for whales and other wildlife and make announcements so passengers get a chance to view them, offer presentations re: the history, things/places to see in the ports (not sales pitches), etc.

Princess has a huge presence in Alaska ..... several ships to choose from every Alaska season. .... ie. there are 5 this current season. They offer Inside Passage cruises, north or southbound itineraries, as well as cruisetours. You might want to look at the mid-size ships such as the Island or the Coral. Both lovely ships with just under 2000 passengers.

My vote goes to HAL. They often offer 3rd and 4th passengers per cabin free or for little $$$ (plus tax/gratuities), which could be a huge cost savings for your family. Choose one of their R or S class ships (smaller, less passengers) instead of the Vistas, Sail out of Vancouver (though you can still book flights to Seattle and take the train/bus up to Vancouver). Would recommend an itinerary with longest port times, preferably Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay over Tracy Arm.

We love HAL - have sailed to Alaska three times with them and I'm about to go w/them again this Aug. 5th on their 14 day itinerary. Excellent service, great food, terrific comfy beds, and smaller ships - without all the bells and whistles of rock climbing walls, skating rinks, cartoon characters, wave pools, etc - none of which is necessary for a cooler weather cruise, and which certainly takes a back seat to the spectacular scenery, glaciers and wildlife that fills your senses in Alaska. Good luck!

As far as HAL goes, I found it just shy of catatonic - NEVER again!

My best friend, the one who found "she was trapped" was on a Princess cruise. I don't think that one can judge a cruise line with a broad brush. I believe each line has something to add (as you can see in my signature we have no loyalty) and that the individuals make the cruise. If you are sailing with a large group can't you always make your own fun? Similarly you can also create your own nightmare (my friends extended family cruise also had 10 people).

Go for the itinerary you want- and then look at the cruise line.

My best friend, the one who found "she was trapped" was on a Princess cruise. I don't think that one can judge a cruise line with a broad brush. I believe each line has something to add (as you can see in my signature we have no loyalty) and that the individuals make the cruise. If you are sailing with a large group can't you always make your own fun? Similarly you can also create your own nightmare (my friends extended family cruise also had 10 people).

Go for the itinerary you want- and then look at the cruise line.

I would say in most cases, I would agree but I had my fill of those with walkers, canes, scooters & wheelchairs feeling entitled to run over my feet - never with an excuse me or kiss my LWA. The "never again" light bulb came on when I witnessed the afore mentioned passengers cutting in front of children for ice cream - more than once. THAT is where I draw the line! Don't get me wrong - I loved the service, the food in the MDR, choices in the buffet, and our cabin layout and space, but it's the other passengers whom I wish to distance myself and my family from.

Am I correct that that HAL will have the smallest mid-sized ships and be the most casual?

NCL is the most casual. Sometimes too casual.

If we can, we'd much prefer to be in jeans and avoid formal dress. It's just not our style.

NCL again.

We're also not into late night partying and would prefer a more educational, eco-friendly, laid back type trip.

Have only been to Glacier bay. But I can tell you it's amazing. As far as I can tell, the consensus among frequent travelers to AK is that a first time cruiser, especially one that might not go back should really experience Glacier bay.

If you can afford it, and it does NOT take away from your excursion budget, a balcony is wonderful in Alaska. However, my opinion is that the good excur$ion$ should be given priority over the balcony if you can't do both.

We went the last week of June, and it rained every day, never got much over 50* The crew, and also folks in the ports told us that the previous few weeks had been unseasonably warm, and that everyone was in shorts and tee shirts. Bottom line, be ready for anything.

Thanks for your help.

As someone else said, the ports and itinerary outweigh the ship and line in Alaska. Look at port times closely when making your choice.

For example, we docked in Juneau from 2pm until 11pm. It was the last week of June, so there was plenty of light to do everything we wanted. Early or late in the season, it may have not been enough light. We were on the NCL Pearl, and we could not dock until the NCL Star pulled away. They use the same berth. If the Star would have been late getting out, we also would have been late getting in. I don't know if other lines have similar arrangements. You could probably find out on the Alaska ports of call board here though.

In Ketchikan we were in port from 6am until 1:30pm. There were lots of excursions and tours to take at that early hour, but I would have preferred more sleep and a longer day in port.

Just some things to keep in mind. No matter what line or itinerary you pick, you're gonna love it.

Whichever ship and itinerary you finally settle upon, chances are huge that you will have the time of your life and that you will become a dedicated apostle for that cruise line until you have a terrible experience -- norovirus, a fat boob at your table, a storm that keeps your ship out of the port you most wanted to visit.

Archived