Grand Princess - newbie questions

summerhols

I'm looking forward to going on a 2 week cruise of the Med with my 2 children aged 12 and 10 this summer. We board in the UK, then travel round Spain, France, Italy & Gibraltar before returning to the UK. Could I ask a few questions of those of you who have cruised with Princess before?

Firstly, would I be right in thinking that as it's an American ship the plug sockets in the cabin will be American-type? So do I need to bring along an adaptor for my hairdryer/mobile phone recharger etc?

My next query relates to the system of paying on-board. On the tickets I've just received it says I can register to have my kids be able to sign for expenses. I'm not sure this is a really good idea - heaven knows what they might buy! - so would rather give them small amounts of cash to pay for little drinks or snacks that they might need if they are away from me. Perhaps this is a stupid question, but can you actually pay in cash on board and if so, does it have to be in dollars? I'm trying to get my head round which currencies I should take with me. Obviously I'll need Euros and £s, just not sure if we'll need $s too.

Also, I've read that it's possible to buy soft drinks packages for the children and coffee/tea packages for adults. Anyone know what these include and do people think they are generally a good deal?

Very grateful for any help you can give. Thank you.

I'm looking forward to going on a 2 week cruise of the Med with my 2 children aged 12 and 10 this summer. We board in the UK, then travel round Spain, France, Italy & Gibraltar before returning to the UK. Could I ask a few questions of those of you who have cruised with Princess before?

Firstly, would I be right in thinking that as it's an American ship the plug sockets in the cabin will be American-type? So do I need to bring along an adaptor for my hairdryer/mobile phone recharger etc?

My next query relates to the system of paying on-board. On the tickets I've just received it says I can register to have my kids be able to sign for expenses. I'm not sure this is a really good idea - heaven knows what they might buy! - so would rather give them small amounts of cash to pay for little drinks or snacks that they might need if they are away from me. Perhaps this is a stupid question, but can you actually pay in cash on board and if so, does it have to be in dollars? I'm trying to get my head round which currencies I should take with me. Obviously I'll need Euros and £s, just not sure if we'll need $s too.

Also, I've read that it's possible to buy soft drinks packages for the children and coffee/tea packages for adults. Anyone know what these include and do people think they are generally a good deal?

I can only answer the cash question. No, you cannot pay anything onboard with cash. Your room card will be directly tied to your credit card, and the charges will be deducted from it at the end of the trip. Or, another way you can pay for these charges is bring enough cash and give it to the purser's desk on embarkation, and the charges will then be deducted from that. Food is free on the ship and if you get your kids a soda card or the ultimate kid package, they should be fine.

The Ultimate Kid Package costs about $9.00 (+ 15% gratuity) per day and includes all juices, sodas, mocktails, and smoothies. The soda package costs about $4 something per day (+15% gratuity) and includes unlimited sodas (fountain - not cans).

It sounds like a wonderful cruise, have a good time!

Yes it is an American ship and you will need to bring adapters. A hairdryer is supplied in the cabin, not the fastest hairdryer in the world but its good enough.

With regard to payment on board. You are given a card which you can wear on a lanyard as you will need this to use as a key for the cabin. This card is also a charge card, always in dollars which is charged to your onboard account when you register a credit card. When you fill in the bording pass there will be a note that says something on the lines of tick here if you would like Princess to convert for you. Tick no as it will cost you more if they do it. What we do is to take dollars in cash with us and then pay off as much of the account as we can to avoid credit card charges at home. You may also like to bring some small dollar notes to give as extra tips if needed. We keep the automatic service charge on but some people have it removed and tip independently. There are long threads on tipping if you use the search box top right of the page.

As you are doing Europe you will need to take euros with too for when you go ashore. Any Princess excursions are paid for with your charge card/key always in dollars.

I think you can have the childrens card loaded with just the information to open the cabin door. If this is correct then they cannot order anything with it. You can purchase soda cards for them to use. Again do a search using the search this forum box.

Have you found your roll call yet? That would be a good source of information and friendship.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Hope this has helped you.

If you are american or Canadian you will not need any adptors for useing the plugs. the only thing I sugest is an exteition cord because there are limited outlets in the cabin. Also you will need pound sterling if you plan to buy anything cash in Gabralter. Another thing that is fun to do is to have a star chart to find the different consatlayions. There is very little light polution out at sea. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Soft drinks (12 oz. can) are $2.24 ($1.95 + $0.29 gratuity). I believe the soft drink card is now $5.18/day ($4.50 + $0.68 gratuity) and includes soft drinks from the "guns" (Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale) at the bars or the dining rooms. The soft drink card is a good deal if your children will be having more than two soft drinks on average a day. The Ultimate package is now $8.05/day ($7.00 + $1.05 gratuity). It can be a good deal as it also includes fruit juices (only free during breakfast), non-alcoholic mocktails ($5.15) and milkshakes. With all the food available at the Horizon Court, International Cafe, the Pizzeria and the Grill, with one of the drink cards your children should not need charging privileges on the cruise card. You could limit them to just putting cash in their account but I have heard the minimum is a high as $300 and that would not limit their spending very effectively.

On a two week cruise the coffee card could be a good deal if you like good coffee and "Starbucks" type drinks even if you never take another Princess cruise :eek: We were charged $33.35 ($29.00 + $4.35 gratuity) for our recent card. You get 15 free specialty drinks and as long as there is one drink left, all of the fresh brewed coffee and specialty teas at the International Cafe. Unfortunately the Coffee Card can't be used at Leaves, the tea library on the Grand. Two can share a card for specialty drinks but the will typically only give one cup of fresh brewed coffee at a time. If there are two coffee drinkers you should buy two cards. Note: There is free coffee made from syrup at the Horizon Court (HC) and the dining rooms and free tea in the dining rooms and HC. There is usually a good selection of regular and herbal teas at the HC

These are the outlets you will find at your desk.

Power%252520Outlets%252520at%252520Desk.jpg

These are the outlets behind the TV

Power%252520Outlet%252520Behind%252520TV.JPG

This is the outlet in the bathroom. It is both 120V/230V and will charge a cell phone or mp3 player,

Shaver%252520Outlet%252520in%252520Bathroom.jpg

There is a euro plug under the bed near the bathroom where on one of the nightstand lamps is plugged

Euro%252520Outlet.JPG

There is a hair dryer by the desk

Emergency%252520Light%252520Above%252520Hair%252520Dryer.jpg

I'm not sure which nationality you are but if you are from the UK just one word of advice re the electrical sockets / your appliances. On our first cruise, we took adaptors for our electrical appliances. My hair tongs didn't warm up at all! :eek: This was because they were not dual voltage. The US uses 110v while here in the UK we use 240v. If you are from the US you won't have a problem - if you are from the UK then ensure all your electrical appliances are dual voltage. Enjoy your cruise - we holiday frequently around the Med and love it! :)

I'm not sure which nationality you are but if you are from the UK just one word of advice re the electrical sockets / your appliances. On our first cruise, we took adaptors for our electrical appliances. My hair tongs didn't warm up at all! :eek: This was because they were not dual voltage. The US uses 110v while here in the UK we use 240v. If you are from the US you won't have a problem - if you are from the UK then ensure all your electrical appliances are dual voltage. Enjoy your cruise - we holiday frequently around the Med and love it! :)

This is the outlet in the bathroom. It is both 120V/230V and will charge a cell phone or mp3 player,

Shaver%252520Outlet%252520in%252520Bathroom.jpg

Most modern appliances are dual voltage. DWs newest hair dryer works on both 110V and 240V. Almost all electronic equipment is now rated to work on voltages between 100V and 240V and both 50 Hz and 60 Hz. If some electronics rely on the frequency of the electric supply for timing (such as a clock) they might not work properly. As Nylsor said, check the rating on your electronics to be sure.

Thanks all. We're leaving on 6 August and (sorry for not being clearer earlier) we are from the UK, so yes, our appliances use 240 voltage.

However, if there is a plugged-in hairdryer provided, the only things we'll need a socket for will be the mobile phone recharger and the recharger for the kids' Ipads etc. No idea whether they are dual voltage or not - I suppose I can check. Although, frankly if the children couldn't use their games consoles for a fortnight it wouldn't exactly break my heart! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Some further questions please:-

I've been reading on these boards about coffee made from syrup (which sounds pretty foul to me!) so if I buy a coffee card, could I get a brewed coffee in the dining rooms after lunch/dinner or is it all syrup coffee there? I'm not a huge coffee drinker but I do like a proper cup after a big meal.

Ditto soft drinks cards for the children - could they use their cards to get fizzy drinks in the dining rooms at mealtimes? What about round the pool areas? Again, they are not huge consumers of fizzy drinks, so just trying to work out if they will actually use them when they will want drinks i.e. at mealtimes and round the pool.

Finally, anyone know if decaff is part of the coffee card deal?

Thanks a lot.

Cant remember if the dining room has brewed or syrup based. Anyway, the coffee card has 15 'punches'. It is used mainly for espresso based coffee, eg Latte, cappucino etc. as long as you have at least one punch unused then you can get brewed coffee (i.e. filter coffee) at a couple of places on ship, e.g. International cafe, Crooners. Decaff is included in that.

If you do not plan to drink 15 speciality coffees then it may just be cheaper to pay as you go. Brewed coffee is $1 (might be $1.50). the card is now $32 and worth it if you think you will use it. I would suggest you see how you go with the standard syrup stuff before buying a card - you dont have to buy it on the first day - they are available all the time. Also, in the coupon book that will be in your cabin, there is a voucher for an insulated mug that can be redeemed if you do buy a card.

For my morning/early afternoon coffee I take Nescafe stick packs (type you find in hotel rooms) with me to use in pace of the free coffee as they take no space or weight at all. You get hotwater at the same place in the buffet area as you would get the coffee, and is also available form room service.

For the power outlet, the european socket under the bed is 220v. iPad, modern phones etc will have dual voltage power supplies. If you already have a UK to Europe adapter bring that as well.

soda card - can be used anywhere. A can of coke etc is $2.50, so if having more than 2 per day then the card is cheaper. It is not actually a card, it is just a sticker that is put onto the cruise card (room key). If ordering more than one soda they will ask to see enough cards to cover the number of drinks ordered. (they were doing this religiously last week on the Grand)

Archived