Jewish Friday Night - Are Prayer Books Provided?

DoverHeights

Thought we will attend on Friday Night(s) on NA cruise ex Venice 28th July. We were wondering if siddurim - prayer books are provided. If someone leads - I (Michael) can't - but can join in and know "all the tunes" - sing them in a choir every week. I'm used to the traditional/orthodox/conservative style - so would there be say, Artscroll books. Looking to reduce weight (in suitcases that is).

Michael and Judy (cheese-caked out) in Sydney Australia

There have been siddurim provided for the Friday night services that I have attended on various HAL ships. I have had two different types of books -on one ship the book had mostly English wording in it, so I assume that was less of a Conservative/Orthodox one. The other book provided on most of the ships was close to what I'm used to in Conservative synagogues. I am not familiar with "Artscroll books," so don't know if these books resembled them or not. Usually someone volunteers to lead the service. On my last cruise on the Veendam, the couples who attended were Orthodox, and as we didn't have enough men present to conduct a service, only the prayers over the wine, bread, and candles were said.

On other cruises, the prayer service was done, with the prayers over the wine, bread, and candles, done afterwards. HAL has always provided a bottle of sweet wine, gefilte fish, hallah, and some type of cake for these services. On the Veendam, we also had apple slices with honey provided. It is always a nice event, however many people turn up for the service.

DH and I try to go to all the Shabbat services. There is a Rabbi aboard during holidays such as Pesach and Chanukah; I would guess there is also one for the High Holidays... I have seen a great range of "praying"; even when there was a minyan, there was not necessarily someone who could (or would) conduct the service, so we just chose assorted prayers and songs.

There have been siddurim provided for the Friday night services that I have attended on various HAL ships. I have had two different types of books -on one ship the book had mostly English wording in it' date=' so I assume that was less of a Conservative/Orthodox one. The other book provided on most of the ships was close to what I'm used to in Conservative synagogues. I am not familiar with "Artscroll books," so don't know if these books resembled them or not. Usually someone volunteers to lead the service. On my last cruise on the Veendam, the couples who attended were Orthodox, and as we didn't have enough men present to conduct a service, only the prayers over the wine, bread, and candles were said.

On other cruises, the prayer service was done, with the prayers over the wine, bread, and candles, done afterwards. HAL has always provided a bottle of sweet wine, gefilte fish, hallah, and some type of cake for these services. On the Veendam, we also had apple slices with honey provided. It is always a nice event, however many people turn up for the service.[/quote']

It's great to see that HAL continues to actively encourage and contribute towards religious observances.

On our recent Maasdam cruise, the Catholic priest, Father Jacques from Canada who celebrated daily Mass, had previously been assigned as a Chaplain in Afghanistan with the Canadian Troops serving in the field.

Shalom.

The prayerbooks on the Westerdam in 2008 were reform.

HAL provides a nice spread for Friday night. Challah, Manischewitz, candles with matches:eek:, sweets and IIRC lox and such. More of a Kiddush than an Oneg.

On Statendam, Veendam, and Zaandam, the books were the Reform denomination Gates of Prayer (for Shabbat) and Gates of Repentance for High Holidays. Sometimes the rabbi brings an adapted siddur (photocopies) that combines Reform and Conservative practice. As other posters have noticed, HAL is very supportive and welcoming. However, since the rabbis, cantors, and cantorial soloists placed on ships for the holidays include women as well as men, this would not conform with Orthodox practice.

The prayerbooks on the Westerdam in 2008 were reform.

HAL provides a nice spread for Friday night. Challah, Manischewitz, candles with matches:eek:, sweets and IIRC lox and such. More of a Kiddush than an Oneg.

I wonder what the corkage fee is on the Manischewitz.

lol

No corkage as we had to unscrew it ourselves. Would you believe not one of us was tempted to take it back to our cabin?:p

OP- the food provided is not necessarily kosher (except for the Manischewitz). As with everything else it all depends on your level of kashrut.

On a recent Panama Canal cruise on the Amsterdam, about 20 people came to a lovely Fri evening service. As stated by others, the ship provided delicious Challah, gefilte fish, wine and cake. The next week only about 4 people came and one gentleman was a 7th Day Adventist but was curious about a Jewish service.

I think it is important for Jewish passengers to attend -- it encourages HAL to continue to have the services.

For those who discussed Orthodox travelers,I don't think they would travel on HAL since the food, dishes etc. isn't kosher and they would be traveling on Shabbat--but who knows-everyone has their own level of observance.

Regarding the meal question: You can absolutely order frozen kosher meals (Webermans usually provides them, at least within the U.S.) to eat aboard HAL ships; consult your travel agent or the line (and do call to confirm a few weeks beforehand). I just had them on my Alaska cruise two weeks ago. The quality varies according to selection, but some of them were quite tasty.

We were on the Volendam for one Passover and a Rabbi was onboard who led the Seders, with an attendance of about 40 each night. We were served a nice chicken dinner-the same both nights though. The prayer books on the Volendam had more Hebrew in them while the books on the Prinsendam were Reform. For Fridays nights someone needs to volunteer to lead the service. Once we had a retired cantor and another time an assistant Rabbi. Once we just had someone who knew the prayer book very well. It is a nice service with challah and wine and gefilte fish and sponge cake and a good time to mingle with other Jews onboard. Yours, Naomi2

:D

Good one! To Dover the siddurim are reformed. Would advise bringing your own Art Scroll. You can probably be the cantor. I have been the cantor twice on the Noordam to give it a more traditional taam.

HAL goes all out with the candles, challah, wine, gefilite fish, etc. More should make the effort to attend. Usually 30-40 but half as many as the daily Catholic mass.

• 3 weeks later...

That's cool to know. My wife and I are going on the Volendam Alaska cruise in two weeks, and we'll be sailing over a Friday night.

We'll make an effort to attend the Friday evening service. I can even lead it if necessary.

Archived