Norwegian Fjords Advice

We are on a Seabourn cruise at the end of June and are trying to finalize our planning. Our ports are:

Flaam

Aalesund

Olden

Bergen

Stavanger

Oslo

There are two quite expensive and long fjord excursions offered by the cruiseline: Flaam railway up the mountain, then train to Voss and motorcoach back to Flaam; and in Olden the "Roof of Norway and Geirangerfjord".

Our group of two couples are fit and experienced travellers and like to do things on our own. Should we bit the bullet and do the ship's excursion in Flaam or should we just get train tickets on our own and go up and back on the train?

We were considering renting a car in Aalesund. Could we do Geiranger on our own from this port and avoid the ship's tour in Olden?

We don't want to miss either of these fjords but given our druthers we would rather explore on our own.

I know Olden is not a large port - is it possible to hire a taxi to do mimic a "Roof of Norway" type tour?

Anyway - advice and experience is much appreciated!!

the CC hosts are on cruise,,hahaha,,,should be Mon...answered most of your questions there,,but,,,taxis are very expensive,,more than ship tour,,and don t go to places you want,,like Geiranger,,etc...saw NO taxi at all in Olden,,,bite the bullet and do at least 2,,,the Flam one,and Roof or Norway,,rest can be HOHO buses..or walk,,,any questions after ,,let me know...:)

we are on the same cruise. For Flaam we are doing the fjord safari on the rib boats on our own. Then taking the train up and back to Myrdal on our own also.

Look at fjordsafari.com They are the ones who do the RIBs for Seabourn.

The only option for Olden is the boat Roof of Norway tour.

Thanks for the advice! Will check out the fjord safari as well. Looks like we should sign up for the Roof of Norway tour. Should we sign up now or wait to see what the weather will be like once on the ship? Is there a chance it will sell out?

I understand that is the most popular tour of the cruise. I did sign up, just in case. Even if it is bad weather, I would do it for the cruise on Geirangerfjord. The waterfalls are the most spectacular during the rain. (Small consolation.)

I am on the same cruise and while we often do things on our own, we are going to sign up for both the Roof of Norway tour and the Flaam railroad. I know we could do the railroad on our own, but I understand it can get crowded, and so I will go with the ship's advance arrangements. However, I am waiting to book everything until I get on board because of the new pay in advance for advance bookings policy. I want to first use my shipboard credits. Plus, neither of these cruises is listed as a limited participation cruise, so I am assuming they will not sell out.

The train could be crowded, but if you do the round trip, you stay in the train and pick your seats for the return journey before others get in.

We signed up for the excursions before you had to prepay.

spaced it out so one bus,,or so,,went on train first,,,other tour etc...so no crowds,,or less,,but do book rail tour online,,,not problem with just 1 ship in port,,but a big one will overwhelm the town and train....if not going with ship...also,,the rib boat tour great in good weather,,but was cold and rainy,,,weather varies all day,,and glad I didnt go on it..but we re seniors and like things easier..plus so much of same scenery,,it seems on our ship...good to see the interior scenery of Norway too....IMO,,of course...;)

moffat mimi -

Flaam info for July 1. Two ships in port in the morning: Soujourn (dock) and Pride (tender). Large ship arrives in the afternoon.

The train should not be crowded in the morning (I hope).

Thanks for the advice - I didn't notice a roll call for the cruise when I had a quick look a couple of weeks back and but it seems there are at least six (well eight cause we are bringing two friends of ours on the trip) on the ship at least :)

I think we are leaning towards booking the cruise tours for Flaam and Olden. After that we'll just meander around on our own I think. Our friends are considering the concert in Stavenger. I have read good things about the Petrochemical Museum (I can't believe I just wrote that...)

I have been reading about Denmark and they are the third largest exporter of oil in the world and it influences a huge part of their economy and mindset - so thought it might help get into the pysche of the Norwegian people.

With only two ships in the morning - taking the train ourselves in Flaam does look more promising though. So many decisions huh?

We are staying in Copenhagen for five days beforehand. We have rented an apartment (http://www.stayincopenhagen.com) and look forward to enjoying that awesome city.

but a little out of city center,,do get exact address,,since 2 taxi s did NOT know where its at,,,right on canal and very nice room,,have breakfast area,,but extra....great Italian rest...about 3 blocks walk...called Ponte Vecchio...can buy food at market in bldg..and eat breakfast,,full kitchen...

re..Oil,,museum...easy walk from ship,,,very interesting,can see real oil drilling platform,,,sounds boring at first,right,,,,but not...only in Stavanger for 5 hrs...so get early start,,,but museum doesnt open till 10....see old town area first....lots of things we found out hard way....have fun...:)

Thanks for the advice - I didn't notice a roll call for the cruise when I had a quick look a couple of weeks back and but it seems there are at least six (well eight cause we are bringing two friends of ours on the trip) on the ship at least :)

Make that 12!

Our friends are considering the concert in Stavenger. I have read good things about the Petrochemical Museum (I can't believe I just wrote that...)

We are doing the boat tour to see Pulpit Rock, but I'm intrigued by the museum.

With only two ships in the morning - taking the train ourselves in Flaam does look more promising though. So many decisions huh?

Two ships that total 600 pax!

We are staying in Copenhagen for five days beforehand. We have rented an apartment (www.stayincopenhagen.com) and look forward to enjoying that awesome city. We'll be there 4 days. See you on board!

Hi,

We are also on this cruise and facing the same decisions. I am planning on buying the Flam railway tickets in advance and doing it on our own. Has anyone heard much about the Hike to Briksdal Glacier? We are signed up for that but now I am hearing a lot about the Roof of Norway tour and reconsidering.

Thanks.

Shay

for seniors,,like us,,little too physical...plus,have been on glacier s in Alaska,,,think you d love Roof tour,,,gets you inland and on Geiranger fjord..one of best tours IMO....re.rail,,remember,,,tour is 30 min ea way to Myrdal,,,then change trains and back...will have plenty of time to do something,,in small town....the ships tour was 8 hrs...and loved it...saw more of inland Norway, winding roads,scenic waterfall,s,rail was nice,,but bus views actually more spectacular....glad I choose that one...worth every penny.plus lunch and coffee break inc...only 2 tours I took...rest easy to do on own....have fun...;)

You do NOT change trains in Myrdal if you are doing the round trip. I understand you stay on it and come back down. You do change trains to continue to Vos and do the rest of the ship's tour by bus.

I'm saving the inland scenery for the Roof of Norway tour out of Olden.

And now, there's 14!

We just got back from a cruise in which we went to Bergen and the ship Fjord tour was full. We found this tour when we got to Bergen and it was great:

Departed from the Information center(right across the street from the fish market) at 12 noon by bus and then you come back by way of a boat at 5:15pm.

Route 1. - Boat from BergenRoute 2. - Bus from Bergen Dep. Dreggekaien

(Bryggen)14:00Dep. bus

Turist Informasjonen12:00Arr. Modalen15:30Arr. Modalen14:30Dep. bus Modalen16:00Dep. boat Modalen15:45Arr. Bergen18:30Arr. Bergen17:15

Route 1. - Boat from BergenRoute 2. - Bus from Bergen Dep. Dreggekaien

(Bryggen)14:00Dep. bus

Turist Informasjonen12:00Arr. Modalen15:30Arr. Modalen14:30Dep. bus Modalen16:00Dep. boat Modalen15:45Arr. Bergen18:30Arr. Bergen17:15

The bus ride was great and wonderful. It goes up the Osterfjord. The price was NOK 480 per person (approx $96 usd). Just go to the Information center and you can pay there and get your tickets.

www.rodne.no

Janelle

for seniors,,like us,,little too physical...plus,have been on glacier s in Alaska,,,think you d love Roof tour,,,gets you inland and on Geiranger fjord..one of best tours IMO....re.rail,,remember,,,tour is 30 min ea way to Myrdal,,,then change trains and back...will have plenty of time to do something,,in small town....the ships tour was 8 hrs...and loved it...saw more of inland Norway, winding roads,scenic waterfall,s,rail was nice,,but bus views actually more spectacular....glad I choose that one...worth every penny.plus lunch and coffee break inc...only 2 tours I took...rest easy to do on own....have fun...;)

Does the winding "hairpin" turns road seem safe enough? I'm interested in the 8 hour Geiranger fjord tour (called "Scenic Norway Full Day Excursion" by RCCL) but frankly the description is fairly scary!

Thanks--

Linda

We are also on this cruise and facing the same decisions. I am planning on buying the Flam railway tickets in advance and doing it on our own. Has anyone heard much about the Hike to Briksdal Glacier? We are signed up for that but now I am hearing a lot about the Roof of Norway tour and reconsidering.

My husband and I hiked to the Briksdal Glacier as part of a shore excursion in 2008. We were tendered ashore in Hellesylt where we met the the bus. We drove along some scenic roads before arriving at the hiking trail. I don't remember the hike being particularly strenuous - just a steady, uphill climb for the first half and then a corresponding steady descent back to the trailhead. Those who didn't feel like walking had the option of paying to ride up to the glacier in an ATV that held 6 passengers or so. After hiking back down to the trailhead, we had a very nice lunch and more sightseeing before arriving at the Dalsnibba lookout. The last stop was Geiranger where we met the ship.

We had a great day; in fact, my husband regards this as one of our best shore excursions ever. The scenery on the hike to the glacier was just beautiful!

and I dont like heights or scary rides,,,and I did fine,,,just scenic and felt very safe,,go for it...saw great waterfalls,,,snowy passes,,,other traffic winding down roads in front...PS..I thought even more spectacular than Flam rail views,,,but enjoyed BOTH....;)

Oh, thanks so much. I really wouldn't want to miss all of the scenery on that excursion. I'm a high stress person, just had visions of the bus falling off the cliff, etc etc. Maybe their description of the road is what scared me!

Linda

• 7 months later...
Hi there, It sounds great. We would like to be able to do the same as you did. Can you tell me where to hire the car please?

We've been in many of these different ports along this super scenic Norway coast, plus in their great fjords. Which specific location are seeking to do a car?? Do you just want a rental car or a vehicle with a driver?

From my live/blog noted below, you can see many more detail on many key stops in these areas. Below are a few picture previews for visitors can see and do. Tell us more about your personal interests, travel style, budget flexibility, etc. Norway is not a cheap country, but this type of cruise can allow you to see and experience lots!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 59,277 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 64,728 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. Here is this view, at a lower level, that provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background of this charming Norway coastal town with so much great history and architecture. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

Archived