$210 to park for week at Pier??

AFT_LOVER

For those of you who are choking at $30 per day to park your car at the pier in some parts of Midtown it can be over $50 to park for 8 hours during the week. :eek: Space is at a premium! It is an island after all.

wow, I realize it is NYC but we parked in NOLA (at a garage about 3 blocks from the terminal) they offered shuttle and it was $14 per day I think. It seems like by the time you pay to park anymore, pay the pet sitter and pay for at least one night in a hotel prior to the cruise you have paid for the cruise double.

Nita

Amen. We are trying to cruise closer to home to save money.

Why not be imaginative. For example, park in NJ. Near Newark airport one can park for $8 per day. Taxi to Newark's train station. Train to Penn Station in NYC, taxi to the port. In reverse when you return.

There are many other options.

Bill

10/30 we sail her to Bermuda. I love my Tucson with AC, heated seats, 6 CD changer, and 30 mpg; just set the cruise control and sit back and enjoy the ride. 9 hour ride fom CLE to NYC, and if we arrive early, like 3AM, can we still park? or plan for after 9AM?

The parking facility isn't open unless there is a ship in port. So, plan to arrive after the Gem docks. BTW, the Gem is beautiful!!! You'll enjoy it VERY much!

Check out Icon Parking for other parking near the cruise port (assuming Manhattan?). We usually park at Hudson View garage for day trips into NYC, which is quite close to the port. The guy who always seems to be running it on weekends is surly (to say the least), but the prices are about the best I've found, for day trips, anyway. I imagine they probably also provide a good price for weekly parking. There are others close by, as well.

Icon Parking also has coupons/specials on their website. The last coupon I used was a flat rate and included taxes.

http://www.weparknewyork.com/index.asp

Web site quoted $166. $45 dollar difference is a lot but not enough. The bullet will be bitten- in a few hours $210 it is.

Web site quoted $166. $45 dollar difference is a lot but not enough. The bullet will be bitten- in a few hours $210 it is.

Have a GREAT time Hockey! Please leave the ship in one piece for us... we'll be embarking when you're disembarking next week!

Have a GREAT time Hockey! Please leave the ship in one piece for us... we'll be embarking when you're disembarking next week!

Gloomy day for sail away but the sun always shines when you are cruising. We promise to leave her in good shape. Reviews have been great.

We worked around the parking by taking Amtrak from Connecticut to Penn.

There are often many smaller stations that Amtrak stops at which do NOT even charge for parking. We left our car for free at the Berlin CT station and rode the train to Penn and walked to the NY dock (you might want to take a taxi as it's about a 15 block walk).

We drove from Ontario in March and parked at the pier. We spent the night before our cruise in Parsippany, New Jersey for $90(breakfast included) and drove in on the Sunday morning. We were pleasantly surpised at how easy it was to get to the pier and felt that the parking was quite secure. In fact, we plan to park there again next March.

When we disembarked after our cruise the experience was not so great. We are very disappointed that NCL didn't inform it's passengers that there was a marathon being run in NYC. We knew the route we needed to take to get to the Lincoln tunnel. but because of the marathon, every street we needed to take was closed, as was the tunnel itself. It was a stressful time until we managed to get out of the traffic and head for the George Washington Bridge. None of us had been to NYC before, but three families and vehicles managed to stay together. If NCL had told us about the marathon and road closures we would have taken a left out of the pier and headed straight for the bridge. So, check for marathons or other road closing events if you're driving to the pier! lol

Archived