$210 to park for week at Pier??

AFT_LOVER

I chocked when I was told that we could drive from CLE-NYC and park on the roof of the cruise terminal for $210 a week. Granted it is cheaper than flying there and gas with 30 MPG. Last time we drove & parked, it was $70 a week.

I chocked when I was told that we could drive from CLE-NYC and park on the roof of the cruise terminal for $210 a week. Granted it is cheaper than flying there and gas with 30 MPG. Last time we drove & parked, it was $70 a week.

I believe there are some other garages nearby that are less expensive. Maybe someone can chime in.

It must have been a while since you sailed out of NYC!

wow, I realize it is NYC but we parked in NOLA (at a garage about 3 blocks from the terminal) they offered shuttle and it was $14 per day I think. It seems like by the time you pay to park anymore, pay the pet sitter and pay for at least one night in a hotel prior to the cruise you have paid for the cruise double.

Nita

I believe there are some other garages nearby that are less expensive. Maybe someone can chime in.

It must have been a while since you sailed out of NYC!

But if someone chimes in make sure you're comparing apples to apples. ;)

The $30 per day at the pier includes all taxes, while many garages quote a price that excludes the nearly 20% tax on parking in Manhattan.

Check out Icon Parking for other parking near the cruise port (assuming Manhattan?). We usually park at Hudson View garage for day trips into NYC, which is quite close to the port. The guy who always seems to be running it on weekends is surly (to say the least), but the prices are about the best I've found, for day trips, anyway. I imagine they probably also provide a good price for weekly parking. There are others close by, as well.

Icon Parking also has coupons/specials on their website. The last coupon I used was a flat rate and included taxes.

http://www.weparknewyork.com/index.asp

We live in NJ--parking at the pier is very convenient and less expensive than a car service. Being used to NYC costs, I don't think it's an unreasonable price.

wow, I realize it is NYC but we parked in NOLA (at a garage about 3 blocks from the terminal) they offered shuttle and it was $14 per day I think. It seems like by the time you pay to park anymore, pay the pet sitter and pay for at least one night in a hotel prior to the cruise you have paid for the cruise double.

Nita

Another reason I <3 sailing out of NOLA as well.

I use Fulton Place. For $12 a day they pick you up and drop you off and are typically waiting when you get off the ship.

Smoooooth like butter everytime.

One word - Boston. Half the cost to park and often the cruise itself is cheaper. For us its three hours to NYC or three hours to Boston - a complete no brainer. That being said, if it has to be NYC, I would suck it up and pay for the parking at the pier. No taxi from the park garage to the pier and no worries about whether your car will be there when you get back - well, not as many worries. Good luck.

deb:D

Your driving from Cleveland to NY? I live in Brooklyn and worked in Manhattan for many years..$30 a day to park is nothing..New York is one of the most expensive cities in the country..your getting a good deal..but I would think driving from Cleveland to New York would cost more than that!

Hi Aft Lover! When are you going? I think the 30 per day has been the cost for a few years now. I am surprised it is not higher given other parking rates.

It's New York. I'm surprised 30 a day will cover it and I'd also be surprised to see my car intact when I returned.

We actually felt our car was very safe in the terminal/port parking lot as it seemed very secure. Well, that and the fact we parked it next to a nicer one than ours...!;)

coka

Hi aft lover

Have you considered taking the train from cle to ny?

It's a 12 hour trip and then a quick taxi ride to the pier.

Just another option!

The NYC terminal layout is excellent! You park on top of the pier, go down the elevator, drop off your luggage and check-in. You literally park 100 ft from deck 10. Check out a Goole maps satellite view. The best part is when you get back and just jump in the car and you are off. We were on the 10 day (GEM) 1/1/11 the $300 was well worth not having any hassles. I looked into other local parking options but none were much better than this. Just plan on an extra $15 per day per person and it won't seem like much - of course it's all relative depending on what kind of cabin you are booking.

$30 a day for New York is very reasonable. What is a drag is they no longer have a weekly or monthly rate. When we cruised out of NY on the Dawn, it was $30 a day to a max. of $180 for a month. Made it a really good deal.

I guess they realized they could make a lot more money by doing away with this rate structure. VERY safe secure parking lot though and easy on and off the ship.

I find the rates most reasonable. As you said it's cheaper than flying and when you add up the costs of airfare, transportation to and from the pier, etc. parking in NYC is a real deal!

Plus the convenience of just hopping in your car after the cruise -- it totally beats the hassle of long lines at the airport which usually get me so frustrated that my relaxing vacation ends up with me being all stressed out.

Enjoy your cruise!

TracyE

10/30 we sail her to Bermuda. I love my Tucson with AC, heated seats, 6 CD changer, and 30 mpg; just set the cruise control and sit back and enjoy the ride. 9 hour ride fom CLE to NYC, and if we arrive early, like 3AM, can we still park? or plan for after 9AM?

Hi Aft Lover! When are you going? I think the 30 per day has been the cost for a few years now. I am surprised it is not higher given other parking rates.

We actually felt our car was very safe in the terminal/port parking lot as it seemed very secure. Well, that and the fact we parked it next to a nicer one than ours...!;)

coka

I checked Boston rates and they were higher than NYC. We had to take 10/20 to get the best deal for a nice balcony. My TA went nuts with me as she had the best price for us and $150 OBC too thanks to AMEX & her co.

One word - Boston. Half the cost to park and often the cruise itself is cheaper. For us its three hours to NYC or three hours to Boston - a complete no brainer. That being said, if it has to be NYC, I would suck it up and pay for the parking at the pier. No taxi from the park garage to the pier and no worries about whether your car will be there when you get back - well, not as many worries. Good luck.

deb:D

since they do not get us seats together for a 12 hour ride. Leaves at 6AM arrives at 6PM. So hotel needed and cab to pier then cab to train when we arrive and that is 5AM train back, so another hotel for the arrival night.

We can get a PA hotel on the ride home, if I am not ready to drive 9 hours. Plus we can stop for coffee, food, ice cream or smoothies at SHEETZ. We have a great time driving and I hope for a hotel shop to use in NYC and PA or OH

$30 a day for New York is very reasonable. What is a drag is they no longer have a weekly or monthly rate. When we cruised out of NY on the Dawn, it was $30 a day to a max. of $180 for a month. Made it a really good deal.

I guess they realized they could make a lot more money by doing away with this rate structure. VERY safe secure parking lot though and easy on and off the ship.

They have a flat rate of $300 for cruises from 10 to 30 days.

http://www.nycruise.com/parkNYC.html

$30 which includes the 18.75% sales tax on parking is very reasonable for Manhattan. The max rate is $300. All parking in Manhattan is very expensive and overnight parking is worse.

Check out parking rates at other locations in Manhattan, near 5th Ave you'll pay $30 an hour forget about a day.

Just point out one and it's uptown:

Central Parking $45 for a day, $32 for 12 hrs, $27 for 6.

http://nyc.centralparking.com/Manhattan-157-West-83rd-Street.html

Or you can try: http://nyc.bestparking.com/index.php

Archived