Has anyone ever been to Patras?

rubysue

Greetings -

We are on a cruise on Oceania Cruise Lines (Marina) in September that was originally supposed to have a stop at Itea (near Delphi). A few months ago, the itinerary changed and we are now calling at Patras. We surmised that the larger size of Marina made passage more difficult beneath the Rion-Antirion bridge that spans the Gulf of Corinth.

Patras appears to be "off the beaten path" of typical Greek port stops for cruise ships and I have had no luck finding any independent tour companies. Has anyone ever been here on a cruise or land trip? What would you recommend doing? Internet research revealed very little (e.g., Trip Advisor), but there do seem to be some interesting landmarks in the city.

One note: The ship is offering a tour to Delphi and a tour to Olympia, but I am disabled (use a collapsible wheelchair and walk short distances with a cane), so I would be excluded from either excursion.

Thanks

Yes strangely I have been to Patras over 30 years ago backpacking on the Eurail Pass which gave you free transit on some ghastly Greek ferry plying between Brindisi on the back coast of Italy and Patras on the Greek Pelopenese . We travelled as human deck cargo, they charged like wounded bulls for bowls of terrible rice gruel . We arrived at Patras in the dark at 1800 on a Sunday night then onto a grossly overcrowded Greek train for a journey of several hours up to Athens. It was a toss up as to which was the worse journey the ferry from Italy or the Sardine Express Greek train . The only enduring feature I remember of our all but brief stop in Patras was the great local Greek food at a local Taverna whilst waiting for the wretched train . The Taverna Proprietor like every second Greek had a close relative in Australia .

Greetings -

One note: The ship is offering a tour to Delphi and a tour to Olympia, but I am disabled (use a collapsible wheelchair and walk short distances with a cane), so I would be excluded from either excursion.

Do not rule out the ship's tour to Olympia. The ground is flat there and easy to use the wheelchair or cane. Delphi involves a lot of walking uphill and a larger site. I'm sure the bus can take your wheelchair in the luggage compartment.

Hi, Kuldalai -

Thanks for the humorous story! How in the world did we all survive those early traveling days of crowded ferries and trains, backpacking tents and cheap B&Bs (with the facilities not only down the hall but sometimes also down flights of stairs)? The taverna sounds like it was certainly the highlight.

Hi, Marazul - I have heard that Olympia is one of the better ancient sites for disabled access. The ship tour description, however, specifically prohibits wheelchairs and I am quite uncomfortable after standing and walking for a short time. I have not given up, however, and have just sent an inquiry off to a local tour company sponsored by the city government of Patras (they offer local tours and day trips to Olympia and Delphi).

Thanks for the replies!

The ship tour description, however, specifically prohibits wheelchairs and I am quite uncomfortable after standing and walking for a short time.

Don't rely on the tour description. Get in touch with Oceania directly and ask the question. It is a large ship and they must be using full size buses for the excursion. If so, since you can walk short distances and get in the bus by yourself, they must be able to carry the wheel chair in the luggage hold. It's worth a try. Hope you can make it. The Olympia site museum has some spectacular art work and it is a short walk from the parking area.

I found olympia to be one of the most disappointing sites in Europe,They have had some many earthquake's there,it's a pile of ruins.

There is not much left of the old city,it is a pile of stones on the ground & not much to see,i drove there & wish i hadn't .

The scenery around delphi is magnificent,but it is very steep & hard to climb.There is a great train trip near patras,i'll look back on my notes & try and find it .

Archived