Transatlantic - Spring or Fall?

4Grandcats

Is the weather any different with the seasons?

I looked in the Review section and can't find much about how the weather is on deck - is it cold on the Atlantic? Shorts? Long pants?

I'd love all the sea days but are the activities mostly indoors due the time of year?

Thanks!

I just returned last month from the Eclipse's crossing from Miami to Southampton (April 16-29, 2011). We had fantastic weather sailing from Miami to the Azores - temps were in the 70's, calm seas (in fact one day the Atlantic was nearly flat!) and sunshine. We had one "rough" day between the Azores and Lisbon (seas were about 9'-12') - not too bad but noticeable. It is interesting to note that, while in Lisbon, ran into some folks who were making the crossing on a HAL ship (the Ryndam I think) and they said that they had a few rough days at sea - so, it really is up to Poseidon as to what the crossing will be like!:D

As far as clothing, shorts and flip-flops for daytime as we had great weather. Once we left Spain and headed towards Cherbourg it did become noticeably cooler - long pants and fleece during the day.

We have done both Spring 2010 to British Isles and Fall 2010 from Rome. Weather was great both trips...the spring trip was NOT short weather but very pleasant - while on the fall trip was considerably warmer with many making use of the pool. HOWEVER I don't think you can assume any guarantee of particular weather on a TA journey..just enjoy the ship, generally great pricing and interesting ports of call.:)

Many prefer fall crossings. On average the weather is warmer (as the ocean has been heating up all summer instead of cooling all winter) and you end up with 25 hour days during the crossing instead of 23 hour days.

Archived