Feast at Lele on Maui

seabreezer

Robin,

I just booked it. The write up in Maui Revealed was over the top so I couldn't resist. I've been to Hawaii so many times I've lost count but I've never been to a Luau! I bought the Maui Revealed book for some suggestions on things to do since we usually just veg-out. We leave on Easter morning - can't wait!

Operated by the same people that run the Old Lahaina Luau. Menu is more upscale - believe it's table service, not buffet. Have heard multiple good things about it from other cruisers who have gone.

Spleen

We went to the Feast of Lele in 2003 and we did the Old Lahaina in 2001. The show is more elaborate at the Old Lahaina and the viewing angles to watch the stage are better. The food at Old Lahaina is the traditional buffet. The food at the Feast is brought to you in about 6 or 7 courses. It is better, but not enough to recommend it on the basis of the food alone. Both have unlimited cocktails and beverages. The dancers at the Feast perform on a stage on the beach that is unfortunately at the same level as the dining tables. So if you are not at the closest table you may not be able to see the dancers feet or below their knees. Both are excellent shows, and I could recommend either strongly. It is about 1 mile to Old Lahaina from the tender pier. It is about 5 blocks to the south from the pier to the Feast.

Hi Spleen (mr & mrs):D

jc

Has anyone done this? Where is it located and is it okay for kids?

We just got back from the POA cruise and we attended the Feast at Lele in Lahaina on 3/18. It was absolutely fabulous. We had reserved tickets several months in advance and had a front row table near the performance platform. (It is raised about 1 foot off the beach allowing everyone to see.) The food was excellent and varied, and the service was top notch -friendly and professional. The dancers were terrific and the food and show were timed perfectly. I called our booking agent (Tom Barefoot tours) the next day to thank him for recommending it. So yes- do it!! Each group has it's own table - from a table for two to any size group. No buffet lines - hooray! All drinks (including alcoholic ones) were included in the price - we just had to add a gratuity. Enjoy!:)

cruisergirl46, we are cruising on the POA in May. Do you have any recomendations for shore activities/excursions. We are still trying to decide what to do on Maui. We have ruled out the Road to Hana because od the time required. We want to go to the Laua that night. Thank you.

cruisergirl46, we are cruising on the POA in May. Do you have any recomendations for shore activities/excursions. We are still trying to decide what to do on Maui. We have ruled out the Road to Hana because od the time required. We want to go to the Laua that night. Thank you.

Here are some of my experiences with the excursions:

On Kauai we did the Waimea Canyon/Waileua River/Fern Grotto tour. I'd say only do the Waimea Canyon part and save 3-4 hours to explore on your own. (The river and grotto weren't all that exciting and they put you on these barge type boats with about 150 others and then you all trudge up to the grotto together that got wiped out with the hurricane several years ago and is only a shell of its former self.)

On Maui we did a helicopter ride through Air Maui - great experience and great company, but we were there for 2 days when visibility was limited due to the Vog - volcanic fog from the Big Island that wouldn't move out. Maui was hazy for our 2 full days there - disappointing - especially for the price.:cool:

We rented a car and did the Road to Hana with another couple. We all loved it - the experience of the driving those windy roads and the scenic little off-road trips was great. :) Using a Frommer's guide we followed it all the way and got off the main Road to Hana to explore 'hidden' waterfalls and beautiful beaches. It took some extra time, but it was worth it and just beautiful. The drive TO Hana took us 4 hours with those extra side trips, and the trip back took 2 hours. Plan to spend some time in Hana when you get there - we didn't have time to do so and I regret that. The other couple we were with had to get back for the luau so we rushed back.

(One other tip - we rented through Dollar and they didn't come to the pier to get us until 8:50am - the ship docked at 8am and we were on the dock at 8:05. That messed up our timing for the day and got us going late.:mad: For $7 you can take a cab to the airport - and there are cabs waiting for passengers all the time - and get your car and go. We'd also recommend a 4-wheel drive vehicle so you can drive onto one of the black sand beaches mentioned in the Frommer's Guide.) Hertz, however, was there right at 8am and was right on.

Speaking of the Friday night luau on Maui - the couple we were with gave it very bad reviews. For $95 per person they had to line up for an average buffet, they ran out of mai tais (!?!) and they were in a totally open lawn area. They were not pleased at all. I would definitely suggest getting a car as soon as you get to Maui and go to Hana, and then to Lahaina for the Feast at Lele. Long day, but awesome.

The BEST excursion we did was in Kona. We did the Captain Zodiac Snorkeling :p excursion and it was AWESOME. Weather was perfect and on the way to the snorkel site (one of the 10 best in the world!) we saw a pod of spinner dolphins swimming right next to our zodiak and then saw a whale on our way back. Just terrific. The captain and crew was laid back and professional and made the morning extra great. The snorkeling was also terrific and we even saw a moray eel. Cool! Book this early as it sells out and opt for the morning excursion as the weather is usually better in the a.m.

The other excursion we did through NCL was the Volcanoes National Park and Rainbow Falls. This is an awesome place and we loved it. (Our bus driver was pretty bad, though.) But I would do just Volcanoes Nat'l Park and skip the Rainbow Falls part unless there's lots of rain and water before you go. The falls were no big deal and we wasted a half hour standing around looking at a trickle.:cool:

A few other quick notes: we went to Honolulu a few days early and stayed at the Moana Surfrider right on Waikiki. Beautiful hotel - awesome location. Highly recommended. We went to see Society of Seven show and it was fabulous - definitely recommended.

We spent a full day out at the Polynesian Cultural Center and opted for the Super Ambassador Pass. The place is terrific and has 7 villages representing various islands from Polynesia. This is a great place, but we found after visiting 3-4 of the villages that it was starting to get redundant. Best villages: Samoa, New Zealand, Fiji. But with the super pass we had reserved seating and our own personal tour guide, so that was nice not to have to worry about getting around and timing everything.

On Maui my husband was sick in bed on one of the days so that cut into our exploration, but Lahaina is a very fun town. Lots of shops and activities, kind of touristy, bustling and crowded.

Hope this is helpful - enjoy your trip! Pack light, too - not much room for clothing in those cabins! My husband lived out of his suitcase all week. Also, the specialty restaurants were much better than the other dining rooms. Just be careful as sometimes there are specials and the cover price goes up from $15pp to $20pp- they just don't always tell you that ahead of time. Also, service is slow. People get to the lounge EARLY for the 7:30/8pm night time shows so eating early is a must if you want to get to those shows and get a decent seat. Average time needed for a meal in any restaurant: 2 hours. Also, reservations fill quickly in the specialty restaurants, so book early!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• 2 weeks later...

So now that we've returned from our Maui trip I have to comment on the Feast at Lele. After many trips to Hawaii, I had never done a Luau thinking they would be too touristy but I'm so glad we did this one. The food was excellent - each course consisted of several dishes from a different Polynesian region "paired" with a performance from the same region (we really enjoyed the Tahitian course). They also pair a wine or beer with each course or you can order anything from the bar. The service was excellent and the show was very good. Also, a poster above mentioned that the stage was the same level as the tables. That is no longer the case. The stage is lower than the tables and the tables are tiered like an ampitheatre. There's not a bad table there. This is also a fairly small operation so you don't feel too "processed" when it's all over. This is a very well run, professional operation and I would highly recommend it.

Archived