UK Coastguard shows amazing skill during Indy rescue last night.

Press Notice No: 156-11

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Posted 23:40 GMT

SICK PASSENGER AIRLIFTED FROM SHIPS MOVING DECK BY COASTGUARD HELICOPTER

At 8.30 pm this evening, the cruise liner Independence of the Seas called Portland Coastguard to report they had a very sick passenger on board in need of urgent evacuation.

The passenger is wheelchair-bound with very little mobility and the ships captain reported that she was in a critical condition.

The coastguard rescue helicopter was scrambled from Portland and flew out to intercept the cruise ship approximately 23 miles south of Portland Bill.

Additional complications were that the casualty and wheelchair were too heavy for the helicopter winch capability, and the ships helicopter landing pad too light for the six tonne all-up weight of the helicopter. The helicopter winch-man was put on board the ship to assess the situation, and while doing so the rescue helicopter flew back to the airbase to take on more fuel.

When the helicopter arrived back on scene at 10.16 pm, the passenger was ready for an airlift and the ships crew had cleared the decks of benches and other loose items which might have endangered the helicopter.

As the ship was approaching the beginning of the Off-Casquets Traffic Separation Scheme south of Portland Bill, Portland Coastguard broadcast a request to all shipping in the area to give the rescue operation a wide berth. Several ships were seen to comply.

In a supreme example of skill, the coastguard helicopter pilot touched the wheels of the aircraft onto the moving deck of the Independence of the Seas, keeping the rotors powered-up so that no weight was taken by the relatively fragile landing pad.

The passenger, in her wheelchair, was lifted into the hovering helicopter, along with her husband, and airlifted to Dorset County Hospital, Dorchester, where they were met by coastguard rescue officers from the Wyke Regis Coastguard Rescue Team at 11.35 pm.

Posted By: Joanne Groenenberg

For further details contact:

The Maritime & Coastguard Agency Press Office

023 8032 9401

Sounds like a great rescue. However, this happened in England, not the US. I think this is the type of rescus work Prince William is trained to do.
Yes, it did, which is why it said UK Coastguard. Portland is about half way between Plymouth & Southampton.

I have never thought about the the helo pad having weight limitations like the ones discussed here. They had to have known what CG helos weigh when they built the ship. I wander why they did not build a more robust design?

Any medics who could explain why this lady could not be transferred to a stretcher as is usually the case - surely she doesn't sleep in a wheelchair? Not criticising anyone - just curious - so don't get too excited and start flaming!!:D:D:D

I have never thought about the the helo pad having weight limitations like the ones discussed here. They had to have known what CG helos weigh when they built the ship. I wander why they did not build a more robust design?

Good Question.... I would also like to point out that some of the other ships do not even have a place for a helicopter to land. I don't recall a helicopter pad on the Epic or the newer Carnival ships.

This is my first time on the RC forum, as I haven't yet cruised this line. However, I came along to post the link about last night's rescue as I thought it may be of interest.

Quite frankly I'm astounded by some of the posts on this thread, which seem to be attempts at point scoring. I couldn't see any mention or inference that it was any other nations rescue than the UK, so why debate it?

Surely the point the OP was making, is the bravery of those involved in the rescue, which could no doubt be replicated in many other parts of the world.

This is my first time on the RC forum, as I haven't yet cruised this line. However, I came along to post the link about last night's rescue as I thought it may be of interest.

Quite frankly I'm astounded by some of the posts on this thread, which seem to be attempts at point scoring. I couldn't see any mention or inference that it was any other nations rescue than the UK, so why debate it?

Surely the point the OP was making, is the bravery of those involved in the rescue, which could no doubt be replicated in many other parts of the world.

There is no doubt about the bravey of the UK Coastguard nor do I see anyone debating this point. A poster highlighted the fact this rescue took place in the UK and made sure it was clear to everyone, there was no real debate. If you think this is a debate make a mention of RCI vs Carnival, smoking on the ship, chair hogs on deck, etc. and you will see real debate. Your post seems a bit sensitive, perhaps you should go back and read the posts with more of an open mind. The UK coast guard did a great job, end of story.

Just on a point of note, the UK Coastguard, 19 stations around the UK are presently going through a consultation period over Governments cuts (Modernisation according to them) From these station their intention is to reduce these 19 stations to 2 full time Main operating Centers (MOC's), one 24 hr Channel navigation station (Dover) and 5 day stations (8 til 8 appx)

The compliment, present 435 Coastguard officers will be reduced to 250. The two main stations are to be one situated down in Southampton somewhere and the other in Aberdeen.

The outcome of the consultation will be known in the next few months and it will then mean drastic reductions in stations, some of these stations are already running with reduced compliments, one especially should have 20 staff and is currently running with 11, which only puts lives at risk.

Hopefully the Government will see sense over these threats but with their past record its not looking good

The number of Coastguard helicopters will remain the same, these are presently stationed at

Shetland, Stornoway, Portland and Solent, all other Search and rescue helicopters are Military, a mixture of RAF/RN.

The Coastguard helicopters ued to be Seakings but have recently changed to a new more modern one.

In thise case the reason was due to landing limitations of the deck, they were not built for landing what is basically a large military styled aircraft on its decks and thus had to use the hover mode

Archived