New york shopping

Having just viewed the shore excursions for our trip in sept 2011

qe maiden new england and canadian adventure apart from being shocked at some of the prices also found them to be disappointing please can anyone advice me how is the best way to do your own thing in new york mrs fondue (vanilla) wants to spend time shopping in macys and tiffanys etc (also do we dock at manhatten terminal or brooklyn terminal )

thanks in anticipation

fingers fondue :)

Having just viewed the shore excursions for our trip in sept 2011

qe maiden new england and canadian adventure apart from being shocked at some of the prices also found them to be disappointing please can anyone advice me how is the best way to do your own thing in new york mrs fondue (vanilla) wants to spend time shopping in macys and tiffanys etc (also do we dock at manhatten terminal or brooklyn terminal )

thanks in anticipation

fingers fondue :)

You will probably dock at Manhattan, as this is the normal dock for the Vistas.

Is it just New York that you have found the trips to be disappointing, or the whole cruise?

The best way to do your own thing is to walk into Manhattan, or to get a cab to the store of your choice, depending on how fit you feel. Me? I'd get a cab.

Don't forget Tiffany's on Fifth Avenue.

Tiffany's main NY store is on 5th Ave at 57th Street which is the heart of the shopping area. Macy's is at Herald Square, 151 West 34th Street, which is about 2 miles southwest of Tiffany's. Unless taking a cab my advice is to head to Tiffany's then walk around that area. Near Tiffany's is Bergdorf Goodman, Bloomingdales, Prada, Saks 5th Avenue and much, much more. I also recommend walking up Madison Avenue which is one block east and runs parallel to 5th. Madison has many very high end boutique stores.

For more information and a map with directions I suggest: http://www.nyctourist.com/shopping_fifthave.htm

Fingers, QE will most likely dock at the Manhattan Terminal, but as NYC is usually the start or finish a voyage, its not clear to me if you will be spending the day in NYC and then continuing the cruise. If its a continuation, then exit the terminal and hail a taxi, they should be plentiful, unless there are also passengers ending their cruise at the same time.

Should that occur, walk a block into Manhattan to 11th avenue and hail a cab. Since 11th avenue is one way headed south, you will be on your way. 57th St. is a two way street and tell the driver you want to go to 57th and 5th, far corner and he will drop you at Tiffanys. After you have spent some if not all of your money, Hail other cab and tell him you want to go to Macys W 34th between Broadway and 7th avenue.

When you have spent the rest of your money, then hail a cab back the Manhattan Cruise Terminal at 12th Ave and 55th St. where you enter the cruise terminal. I give you these instructions by location as not all NYC cabbies, know locations by business names, but do know streets.

You will need USD for the taxis, but most also take credit cards (if your from the US, please excuse my comment on dollars. )

Mayor Bloomberg thanks you in advance for your spending.

Cheers Mike.

Fingers, QE will most likely dock at the Manhattan Terminal, but as NYC is usually the start or finish a voyage, its not clear to me if you will be spending the day in NYC and then continuing the cruise. If its a continuation, then exit the terminal and hail a taxi, they should be plentiful, unless there are also passengers ending their cruise at the same time.

Most Cunard trips begin or end at Southampton. This particular call is an overnight call on a 24 night (if I recall correctly) ex Southampton round cruise.

Macys at the Herald square store has an accommodation desk on the Mezzanine...show a foreign or out of state id and get a pass for about 13% off of most items...

On Fifth Avenue beside the stores mentioned above are lots of specialty stores and department stores each worth a trip...including Lord and Taylors...

• 2 months later...

We're on the same cruise and I asked similar questions last week.

We dock at the Manhatten terminal, which is a few blocks walk from Times Square. The cream of 5th avenue is a bit more of a walk. I've not done NY before but my wife has. She's already got the shopping itinerary for the first day sorted, including a lunch stop off. My daughter also has kindly provided a list of what she wants bought and from where.

For the second day, we might take one of the tours, but only because I've got reduced mobility. Otherwise we'd be doing one of the hop-on, hop-off tours, which includes a river cruise if you want it. DW used it last time to get to all of the interesting shops, plus the major tourist sights on subsequent days.

I've enquired of Cunard if there will be any shuttle buses available and the answer was "don't know yet, ask when you are on board".

We bought an updated copy of the pocket tour guide today for about £6. I thoroughly recommend it.

Archived