Best Lechon in San Juan?

LadyPemberley

I've heard that the lechon in Guavate is fantastic. But I don't want to travel very far from San Juan. So which restaurants in San Juan serve delicious lechon for a reasonable price ($ or $$)?

The Latin Roots in Old San Juan (across the street from the piers behind

the Sheraton), is very good. There is a Lechonera attached that serves

up all the delicacies you want at reasonable prices. You can take out

or order and eat in the restaurant.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I correct in assuming that Latin Roots does not actually spit roast whole pigs right there in sight? I sure wish we'd have time to rent a car and drive out to Guavate. I've heard nothing but great things about it.

Am I correct in assuming that Latin Roots does not actually spit roast whole pigs right there in sight? I sure wish we'd have time to rent a car and drive out to Guavate. I've heard nothing but great things about it.

I've never been to Latin Roots (I don't eat lechón and I hate salsa LOL) but I've seen pictures that show the whole pig on the spit behind the restaurant plate glass. This one is from TripAdvisor. Look for the restaurant on Google Images and you'll see others.

lechon-pork.jpg

Or more technically, at least in Mexico and by the San Juan pic above, a roasted suckling pig. Think veal versus beef.

Actually, these are not suckling pigs (cochinillo lechal). These pigs are about 1 year old and 100-110 lbs on the hoof. Suckling pigs are less than 6 weeks old and between 10-20 lbs. (for someone who doesn't eat pork I seem to be quite versed in it :p)

Amapola: Awesome! Thank you for posting!

You're welcome! Hope you enjoy it :-)

• 2 weeks later...
One of the reviewers on Trip Advisor says Raices and Latin Roots are one in the same, is that right ?:confused: The reviews for ths place seem to be split down the middle - either great or horrible service.

No, Latin Roots is one block up from the waterfront, behind the Sheraton. Raíces is on Recinto Sur street, one block north of Latin Roots, across the street from the 2 multi-level parking garages. Raíces means roots, though, so maybe that's why the reviewer mixed them up (and for all I know they could belong to the same owner; I've never been to either so I have no knowledge or opinion on them). HTH!

No, Latin Roots is one block up from the waterfront, behind the Sheraton. Raíces is on Recinto Sur street, one block north of Latin Roots, across the street from the 2 multi-level parking garages. Raíces means roots, though, so maybe that's why the reviewer mixed them up (and for all I know they could belong to the same owner; I've never been to either so I have no knowledge or opinion on them). HTH!

Ok, that makes sense, plus I learned a new word ! Now to figure out how to say it properly - lol !

Archived