Belize city

jkjkjk

Of on the crown princess on 7th Jan 12 and can't see much mention of Belize city, maybe its a new stop off. Any info would be appriciated. We have cabins Baja 704 + 706 any problems? Also as only going on my 2nd cruise (1st being QM2) is it possible to request a cabin once they have been allocated? Any other tips?

Many thanks

Of on the crown princess on 7th Jan 12 and can't see much mention of Belize city, maybe its a new stop off. Any info would be appriciated. We have cabins Baja 704 + 706 any problems? Also as only going on my 2nd cruise (1st being QM2) is it possible to request a cabin once they have been allocated? Any other tips?

Many thanks

I’m glad to hear that Princess now stops in Belize. It’s one of the best diving and snorkelling sites in the world. My DH wanted to go there a couple of years ago and we had to go with Carnival, as Princess ships didn’t stop there at that time. I also remember that other people took a tour to see some famous ruins. BTW, it’s a tender port and Carnival used local tenders. You might want to check out port of calls for Belize on these boards to find out what else you can do there.

Chelsea

They took it off the Crown Princess as a port stop for the December 10.2011 Voyage!!!-replaced it with Costa Maya-I hope they switch it back-I think it had to do with tender safety or Port taxes.

Belize City itself, in our opinion, is a big zero. You MUST book some sort of shore excursion or stay on the ship. The immediate port shops are really the only shopping (and not good at all) and we were discouraged from wandering into the city itself. :(

But we had a wonderful day on a ship excursion to the Mayan ruins at Xunantunich. It's one of the largest and is on the Guatamala border. Our bus ride was about 2 hours through beautiful countryside and tiny villages. We then transferd to small vans to take us to the ruins high on the mountain top where our excellent guide met us. We spent about 2 hours at the ruins, which in the tropical heat was plenty of time. There were local ladies selling their crafts where we reboarded the bus. We stopped for a wonderful lunch, complete with native musicians and dancers, and then headed back to the ship. We would have arrived in plenty of time had our bus not broken down. We spent over an hour for a replacement bus but everyone was in good humor thanks to our full tummies and the local beer so it wasn't bad. Our bus got the last, and late, tender back to the ship that had waited for us. We normally book private excursions but for Belize, I would highly suggest a ship excursion, especially if venturing "out of town". :)

Hello, my Wife was wondering if it is very claustrophobic?

Many thanks

Jk

I totally understand her concerns. When I read the description of the tour I was concerned, because I don't like tight spaces myself. The cave is pretty wide & tall and as I recall you can always see light at the end of the tunnel. The cave wasn't packed with people and everybody has minor lights, which supplies plenty of light in the cave. I didn't feel uncomfortable at any time and was so glad that I didn't let my fears stand in the way of having that experience. Here's a pic I found inside a cave on CC pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=7969. Maybe do a seach for more pics to ease her anxiety. For me, it was an event to remember. It's been 7 yrs and the group we cruised with still talk about it. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Have fun!

I agree with the poster that said there was not really much to see in Belize City. An excursion is much preferable. There are some great things to go and see and as someone else mentioned, the diving and snorkeling are outstanding.

WE loved Belize when we were there last and i can't wait to go back.

This is one port with historical excursions offered. There are usually at least 2-3 Mayan ruins tours offered. We did Altun Ha and loved it. I'm anxious to return and do one of the ruins tours that's further away.

Belize is noted for it snorkling and Mayan Ruins. Don't expect much at the pier, but if you sign up for one of the many excursions you shouldn't be disappointed. Just don't bother with a city tour, there's not much to look at in the city. The beauty is out side the city or on one of the many cayes (small islands off shore).

Archived