Cruise on the Rhine

UlvaZell

We will be leaving next week for a 2 week cruise on the Rhine. Friends of ours have taken numerous river cruises and they recruited us for this trip. We have done many big boat cruises but this is our first small boat river cruise. Needless to say we are used to the amenities of the larger ships, but realize that this cruise offers an altogether different experience.

For those of you that have cruised on both large liners and river cruises and have enjoyed both, would you please compare and contrast your experiences? Also were there any "Aha's" from your river cruise where you said, "I wish I would have known ______ before going on this cruise"? If so what was that?

Thanks

I think your boat belongs to GCT. If so, don't look for any passengers from countries outside the US. You can bring any drinks on board for cabin or sundeck use. The tours on most lines are included...give them a try. We have been to Cologne 3 times with different lines and the 3 tours were so different...all very good just different. Make sure the CD knows of any physical limits right away. Most lines now have "slo" groups. There is only one seating for meals. Breakfast and lunch are usually buffet. Dinner is plated...more limited choices than on an ocean cruise. The biggest thing to remember is river cruising is addictive...number 15 coming up in Dec. Pat

I went on my first river cruise with Vantage last April on the Tulips and Windmills tour. I LOVED it. You get to know the staff and the passengers because you don't have assigned seating at the meals. The food was wonderful and my room which was on the lowest level was roomy, comfortable and cozy. There was entertainment in the evenings where they bring local entertainment and demonstrations in the daytime. If you are expecting entertainment like the lavish shows on the big ships you maybe disappointed. River cruising is relaxing and I'd do it again in a heartbeat! Oh....I am. In November for the Holiday Markets on the Rhine! Can't wait to shop!!!!

Archived