NCL Upgrades

soccer71

How does one get upgraded on NCL. I have heard the policy is NCL does not upgrade like other cruise lines.

I have also heard that lattitde members do get upgrades.

Has anyone been upgraded and can you share how you accomplished it

I booked my first NCL cruise 9 months in advance. The price dropped... a lot! Cabins in our booked category (balcony) were about 1000€/passenger cheaper then when we booked (even though it's main vacation time in Germany and usually those prices do not drop that much). I called them (NCL Germany though if that makes a difference) and asked how it could be that even mini suites were way cheaper then our balcony. I didn't ask for an upgrade, I was just curious.

Tremendous price dropping 3-6 months before a cruise was one reason for not booking my favored cruise line anymore and trying a new cruise line... I was sick of paying a lot more for the same cruise just because I book (or have to book) months or years ahead.

Then they offered me an upgrade and I took it ;) I loved the service and I even booked the next cruise with NCL even though I've never been on a ship before.

Edited by chocolatemuffin

I booked my first NCL cruise 9 months in advance. The price dropped... a lot! Cabins in our booked category (balcony) were about 1000€/passenger cheaper then when we booked (even though it's main vacation time in Germany and usually those prices do not drop that much). I called them (NCL Germany though if that makes a difference) and asked how it could be that even mini suites were way cheaper then our balcony. I didn't ask for an upgrade, I was just curious.

Tremendous price dropping 3-6 months before a cruise was one reason for not booking my favored cruise line anymore and trying a new cruise line... I was sick of paying a lot more for the same cruise just because I book (or have to book) months or years ahead.

Then they offered me an upgrade and I took it ;) I loved the service and I even booked the next cruise with NCL even though I've never been on a ship before.

Definitely pays to keep checking prices. Good Job on the upgrade!

NCL will call passengers close to sailing to offer an upsell to a higher category cabin at a much reduced price. These calls seem to be random. They do not accept calls requesting upsells. It is luck of the draw. A recent post indicated that latitudes member would get the call first but there was also a post from a new NCL cruiser who received a call for an upsell.

NCL will call passengers close to sailing to offer an upsell to a higher category cabin at a much reduced price. These calls seem to be random. They do not accept calls requesting upsells. It is luck of the draw. A recent post indicated that latitudes member would get the call first but there was also a post from a new NCL cruiser who received a call for an upsell.

However, that post was for an upsell from a handicapped cabin to a handicapped suite, wasn't it? Unless I misunderstood. That might have been why he/she was called.

I think there is a difference between an upgrade and an upsell although posters seem to treat them as the same. To me ( and I could be wrong) an upsell is when NCL calls and wants to sell you a higher level experience at a somewhat reduced price. An example of an upgrade would be ( again IMHO) when prior to or at final payment the price has dropped and you are offered a higher level cabin, suite etc for the $$ you are paying. Happened to us 2 years ago on our Med cruise. We had booked a low end balcony and at final payment the same $$ got us upgraded to an aft balcony. It was wonderful :)

I think there is a difference between an upgrade and an upsell although posters seem to treat them as the same. To me ( and I could be wrong) an upsell is when NCL calls and wants to sell you a higher level experience at a somewhat reduced price. An example of an upgrade would be ( again IMHO) when prior to or at final payment the price has dropped and you are offered a higher level cabin, suite etc for the $$ you are paying. Happened to us 2 years ago on our Med cruise. We had booked a low end balcony and at final payment the same $$ got us upgraded to an aft balcony. It was wonderful :)

Thanks I guess my issue is I have booked with a travel agent and I can't call NCL directly

Thanks I guess my issue is I have booked with a travel agent and I can't call NCL directly

If you booked with a TA, then the TA will get the call from NCL with an upsell offer. We sailed only 2 times with NCL so far, and both times we were offered an upsell just prior to sailing. The first time was on the Jade (7 night Western Med.) last July booked directly through NCL. We got an upsell offer from a mini-suite to the A2 Deluxe Owners Suite for $740 extra total for the 2 of us. It truly was a "sweet" deal IMO. We loved that room and all the perks that came with it.

The second time was on the Pride of America just this past April booked through a TA. We got an upsell from a BA to a penthouse suite for $530 total for the 2 of us. Again, a "sweet" deal IMO. I even got the same upsell deal for the other 2 couples traveling with us whose reservations were linked to mine since I was the one doing all the bookings and planning.

So, based on my experience, upsells are random and offered to both newbies and lattitudes members. It's just a matter of who accepts quicker. I also think it has a lot to do with what category room you booked originally. I try to book the highest non-suite category so that the only category above mine is a suite. It has seemed to work so far.

If you get an upsell offer from a balcony or other category that does not get suite perks, then the deal is well worth the extra money. I'm not so sure about suite to suite. That would depend on the price offered.

Edited by phillygirl63

Upsells are pretty rare. I've never been offered one. So always book a cabin you will be satisfied with. It's a good idea a few months before your cruise to start talking about what you'd be willing to spend and for which possible upsell. You snooze you lose sometimes.

I love my stern ph on the Sun so much I wouldn't move if they offered me an upsell for $1.

the upsale fairy called here 3 days prior to our sailing. I am not a latitudes member and have not cruised with them-but my dad, who has cruised with them and is a member, did not. I told her my dad was the one who booked and payed for the cruise and asked her to call my dad to offer him the offer first as I did not think it was fair for me to get one and not him. She did while I waited on the phone. We all took the mini suites, 2 are aft on deck 11 and one is a regular mini suite on deck 11 down the hall from us. We booked 3 months ago with 2 balcony and 1 inside on deck 9. The offer was for 200 each mini suite.

You never know........... we sail on sunday, Gem to Bermuda

Edited by brettgirl
adding info

If you booked with a TA, then the TA will get the call from NCL with an upsell offer. We sailed only 2 times with NCL so far, and both times we were offered an upsell just prior to sailing. The first time was on the Jade (7 night Western Med.) last July booked directly through NCL. We got an upsell offer from a mini-suite to the A2 Deluxe Owners Suite for $740 extra total for the 2 of us. It truly was a "sweet" deal IMO. We loved that room and all the perks that came with it.

The second time was on the Pride of America just this past April booked through a TA. We got an upsell from a BA to a penthouse suite for $530 total for the 2 of us. Again, a "sweet" deal IMO. I even got the same upsell deal for the other 2 couples traveling with us whose reservations were linked to mine since I was the one doing all the bookings and planning.

So, based on my experience, upsells are random and offered to both newbies and lattitudes members. It's just a matter of who accepts quicker. I also think it has a lot to do with what category room you booked originally. I try to book the highest non-suite category so that the only category above mine is a suite. It has seemed to work so far.

If you get an upsell offer from a balcony or other category that does not get suite perks, then the deal is well worth the extra money. I'm not so sure about suite to suite. That would depend on the price offered.

I see so I have to let my travel agent know I am interrested, I have sailed 3 times with NCL and have never been offered an upsell

I also think it has a lot to do with what category room you booked originally. I try to book the highest non-suite category so that the only category above mine is a suite. It has seemed to work so far.

The only problem with this theory is that the mini-suites on most ships are on the deck which is right under the pool and buffet area and if you don't get an upsell you are stuck in that room!! I was actually offered a mini-suite once from a BA balcony (after I called to see if they had any suites available) but didn't take it because of the location of the room.

The only problem with this theory is that the mini-suites on most ships are on the deck which is right under the pool and buffet area and if you don't get an upsell you are stuck in that room!! I was actually offered a mini-suite once from a BA balcony (after I called to see if they had any suites available) but didn't take it because of the location of the room.

Thats good to know Mini suites don't seem to have many benefits except they are a little bigger

I thinl your post asks a question that gets at the heart of one of NCL's weaknesses. That is a lack of consistancy. We are booked ***** the Gen and booked early hoping for good pricing and after final payment saw the price on our room drop over $300 per person. We also contacted NCL who we booked directly with and they said a FIRM sorry final paymemnt has been made nothing we can do. This doesn't match with many posts that you will read on this Board so no clear answer here. We are both Platinum and have received upsell calls but ONLY when we have already been booked in a Suite of some sorts already. While we have been told that being a past guests helps on getting upsell calls we doubt it and again many posts on this Board will tell you overwise. We believe that you will not really get a real answer to this question as NCL isn't consistant and it is indeed hit or miss. The old story of book the room you want because it isn't likely you'll get a move is very true. Of course like you we like playing the lottery and enjoy the wishful dreaming.

Edited by Oldsweets

Or book the room you want then check the prices and upgrade yourself. I've actually done that twice myself on our upcoming cruise. I booked early and got a mid ship balcony for a great price then upgraded myself to an aft balcony and finally an aft penthouse.

Or book the room you want then check the prices and upgrade yourself. I've actually done that twice myself on our upcoming cruise. I booked early and got a mid ship balcony for a great price then upgraded myself to an aft balcony and finally an aft penthouse.

Did you have to pay a higher price for the cabins? Or were they about the same price you paid for the balcony?

I'm thinking about upgrading myself on the April2012-cruise. Got a mini suite for a great price but would rather change to aft mini or aft penthouse.

How does that work? Do I call the TA/NCL and ask if I can upgrade/upsell myself? And then I have to pay the difference?

Did you have to pay a higher price for the cabins? Or were they about the same price you paid for the balcony?

I'm thinking about upgrading myself on the April2012-cruise. Got a mini suite for a great price but would rather change to aft mini or aft penthouse.

How does that work? Do I call the TA/NCL and ask if I can upgrade/upsell myself? And then I have to pay the difference?

I wish! :rolleyes: I had to pay the difference. Original balcony was $579pp with $75 OBC, aft balcony was $899pp with $75 OBC and the penthouse ended up being $1399pp with $300 OBC. I just called NCL directly for the changes. I did the same thing on our first cruise this past Jan. calling NCL to upgrade from a mid-ship balcony to a forward mini-suite.

I wish! :rolleyes: I had to pay the difference. Original balcony was $579pp with $75 OBC, aft balcony was $899pp with $75 OBC and the penthouse ended up being $1399pp with $300 OBC. I just called NCL directly for the changes. I did the same thing on our first cruise this past Jan. calling NCL to upgrade from a mid-ship balcony to a forward mini-suite.

Sounds like you are going in style this winter....enjoy!

Janet

Sounds like you are going in style this winter....enjoy!

Janet

Thanks, yes it will be our first vacation without our son who is now 19 so I thought I'd surprise DH. If I can only keep it a secret now for the next 7 months.

Great prices -- I have never seen a balcony for $579pp!!! and with an OBC too!! I wish. If that were the case, I'd be sailing in a suite too.

Thats exactly what I did, I was booked in a mini-suite, the more I read about the "suite life perks" I got the bug, so I called NCL and told them I wanted to change to a penthouse aft large balcony suite - no problem they switched it and I paid the difference.

We usally book what we want without thinking of upsells or upgrades. We did get an UPGRADE on our Alaska cruise to an Owners Suite!! That was also the time we had dinner with the Captain and had an exclusive party with him---only 6 other couples. Don't know why, but since than have had other chances to dine with the captain, but don't always accept.

Did one other upsell when prices drastically changed, otherwise like I said--we book what we want at the time--maybe a couple months or a couple of years out--just watch the prices and make our PCC aware that we are willing to upsell if price is right!!

I thinl your post asks a question that gets at the heart of one of NCL's weaknesses. That is a lack of consistancy. We are booked ***** the Gen and booked early hoping for good pricing and after final payment saw the price on our room drop over $300 per person. We also contacted NCL who we booked directly with and they said a FIRM sorry final paymemnt has been made nothing we can do. This doesn't match with many posts that you will read on this Board so no clear answer here. We are both Platinum and have received upsell calls but ONLY when we have already been booked in a Suite of some sorts already. While we have been told that being a past guests helps on getting upsell calls we doubt it and again many posts on this Board will tell you overwise. We believe that you will not really get a real answer to this question as NCL isn't consistant and it is indeed hit or miss. The old story of book the room you want because it isn't likely you'll get a move is very true. Of course like you we like playing the lottery and enjoy the wishful dreaming.

I think NCL should have at least met you half way and upgraded you. NCL needs to realize there are several other cruise lines that would love to have your business. They should realize that you will never forget the $600 that they burnt you for.

Here is how NCL won why they lost at the same time. The cost of a balcony now looked good at just an additional $300 plus per person so we PAID for an updrade from Inside to Balcony. So NCL made even more money off us but I don't feel as good about NCL as I once did. I mentioned in other Boards that we find ourselves looking and searching other cruise companies more often and don't feel like we got Platinum Level consideration or service. To be fare with NCL we base this feeling on the Boards that say that many others have been given a upgrade when the prices drop like they did for us even though it was after final payment. I am a big boy and yes I knew the price and yes I knew the rules but yes I expected to be treated the same as others at least. I have three Future Cruise Certificates so I will book NCL but just not as often.

Edited by Oldsweets