Just canceled 2 2011 and 1 2012 cruises and sold 5600 shares of CCL Stock SMOKING BAN

Synthetic

People keep harping on the fact that the Paradise tanked....and that was HOW many years ago???? Legislation has changed the paradigm over the last decade....we are seeing smokers decrease in numbers now, instead of increase, probably for the first time ever. Many cruise lines already have this policy in place, Carnival is merely joining the ranks, it's not like it's anything new.

B*tch all you want...but here's the thing....airlines cut out smoking a number of years ago and yet, some how, people have adapted and are still flying. Many establishments have gone to non-smoking and yet I have not seen one headline on CNN that says something like, "Olive Garden (or similar large chain) out of business for banning smoking." Sorry. But your argument is not going to fly. Fight though they may, the smoking generation is being forced out by Gen X, Gen Y and beyond. People are much more educated to the health risks of smoking thanks to the internet and in time, the current smokers are going to die off and all of this will be moot.

And yes, I hope to God CCL stock tanks for a bit....why? Because then I can buy more. If you recall, a few years ago it was selling at $15-$16 a share (maybe less, I can't remember) when they had the "Swine Flu Fiasco" but it rebounded nicely (especially for those that bought at $15 or $20). So, yes, I hope it tanks for a bit, because I will buy up many shares and smile all the way to the bank when it rebounds. And it will. In addition, this will allow many people who would not otherwise be able to afford 100 shares get on board and enjoy not only the OBC but benefit from the rebound as well.

- and the problem that Carnival is 'joining the ranks' is partially part of my decision to 'jump ship'.

And (for the record) the lowest price for Carnival stock in the last 10 years was in later 2008 when I believe it hit $15.11 (the price I paid for my stocks). Unless I missed a lower number...

- and the problem that Carnival is 'joining the ranks' is partially part of my decision to 'jump ship'.

And (for the record) the lowest price for Carnival stock in the last 10 years was in later 2008 when I believe it hit $15.11 (the price I paid for my stocks). Unless I missed a lower number...

Yeah, that's what I said :)

Heard about this once I got home. Called Princess immediately to cancel all communications of the company to me. Then did the same with Carnival (since I just got back from my 1st one on them on Monday). Told both reps they'll have 8 weeks during which time I will tolerate marketing communications from them but I will sue them for receiving their stuff afterwards. CCL obviously doesn't want my business which I will take elsewhere.

Will sell my shares on opening bell tomorrow as well.

Well, the one I want to see is all of the Carnival Staff that hang out in the Piano Bar and the Disco to smoke and drink with the passengers. I want to see if they enforce the new crew smoking rules (per John Heald) and that there will be no more smoking in passenger areas......want to see if they enforce that one in the Disco in particular. Not likely.

LOL, incorrect. It should be "sale".

2 ships that are for SALE.....

Is there anything worse than correcting someone and then being WRONG!!:p

John Wayne was right! Life is harder when you're stupid!! (and I've had a HARD life!!:D)

Heard about this once I got home. Called Princess immediately to cancel all communications of the company to me. Then did the same with Carnival (since I just got back from my 1st one on them on Monday). Told both reps they'll have 8 weeks during which time I will tolerate marketing communications from them but I will sue them for receiving their stuff afterwards. CCL obviously doesn't want my business which I will take elsewhere.

Ongoing proof of how polite and accommodating smokers can be.

No, but if what you say is true, both spellings are acceptable. Therefore, Diva is correct.

CC is a worldwide forum. What if Diva happens to be from Britain?

Interesting that the OP decides to focus on this, rather than respond to the 50 other people against him...

Respond to what? The 'Canceling' statement was a joke (hence the 'heh' at the end of it)...

And what should I respond to? "You are irrational because you smoke"? No thanks...

Well - for the record, the OP's point in posting this was to alert other smoker's that we are being discriminated against once again by Carnival (who else remembers the fiasco we went through when they banned smoking in the aft lounges? Anyone, anyone, Beuhler?)

Oh - and for the person who commented that I wouldn't get a refund for the cruise I canceled prior to December... Well, one of the perks of Milestone status isn't just our own call center reps to cater to us, but the Carnival policies are far different once you've logged at least 25 cruises and they don't give you much hassle when you tell them you want to cancel.

Fire at sea is the only real danger when cruising. There have been several incidents where a row of rooms have caught fire due to someone setting their cabins on fire. I personal have seen atleast 50 cigarettes get flicked off of a balcony. Several LIT cigarettes have ended up OUR Balcony. This is no longer a lifestyle choice.

This AND the problems with second hand smoke is a LIFE choice. As someone who has watched several loved ones die due to smoke related illnesses? I applaud CCL

We are non smokers and I assure you our $2,000 Sail and Sign will not be affected in a negative way. If anything, we may actually GO to a bar now and buy more drinks!

Also, just as an FYI to anyone already booked.....in 2009 when they closed Mexico and had to fill ships quickly...we ended up getting a week long cruise out of NOLA on the Fantasy for $200 pp TOTAL--tax included. So, as the smokers bail on Carnival, if you are booked ES, or even if you're not and outside final payment...please watch your prices over the next few weeks. This may end up being very, very nice indeed for us :)

This smoking thing is going to be a hot button for a while. There are many that will feel the need to vent to the public thier feelings on the changes, and on a public forum, that is thier right.

However, attacking one another will not change any of the new rules. Only time will tell what effect this is going to have on CCL. There is a difference in disagreeing with each other and being discourteous to one another.

On another note... I do agree the Paradise's original "no-smoking" concept would've been much more successful in more recent years.

That's exactly what I want you to respond to. You started this thread, now you should defend your actions to us! Otherwise, what was the point of this thread?

I love it - READ THE WHOLE post you pasted this from... duh

I'm actually quite glad they no longer allow it. I work for a hotel and you wouldn't believe all of the smokers, that don't even want a smoking room. It smells nasty and it seeps into your clothes. I'm sorry but maybe the guest after you doesn't WANT to have their room smelling like smoke for the duration of their vacation.

Kudos to Carnival!

That was then, this is now. Paradise was ahead of its time.

You are correct.

If Carnival had had the vision that Oceania had back then and used the Oceania model...the Paradise would be sailing "almost smokefree" today.

The Paradise never lost money...but since every group (even the smallest family group) can have at least one smoker.....the group bookings just were not there.

And groups are the major force of the cruise booking industry....

They didnt BAN smoking.. they basically said you just can't smoke IN the room anymore. Good luck finding other cruise lines that you like enough to be a milestone member with who also allow smoking in their rooms because guess what, you won't find them since the other lines already prohibit smoking in rooms and balconies as well as most public areas and if they don't yet, they will.. they always follow CCLs lead.

They didnt BAN smoking.. they basically said you just can't smoke IN the room anymore. Good luck finding other cruise lines that you like enough to be a milestone member with who also allow smoking in their rooms because guess what, you won't find them since the other lines already prohibit smoking in rooms and balconies as well as most public areas and if they don't yet, they will.. they always follow CCLs lead.

Giggles - rule#1 is usually read the whole thread... or at least know what you are talking about. I don't care about smoking in rooms (as I've never smoked in my stateroom) - it is the FURTHER public restrictions...

Yes - I received word from John Heald that this rumor is, in fact, true and will be policy. Too bad - I was looking forward to my next level of Milestone but will now not cruise any of CCL's lines.

I remember the debacle and laughing stock that Paradise was in the late 90's then when they painted over the NON-SMOKING signs in 2003.

I am in the night club business and Carnival should have learned by the paltry liquor sales aboard Paradise that banning smoking=lower occupancy and far lower alcohol sales. Oh well.

Not my problem anymore - shame on you Carnival... You had a good thing going and are now trying to be everything to everyone and that isn't why I cruised your line.

[and yes, I did cancel my Seabourn cruise as well. Why cruise with a company that makes ignorant decisions?]

so you paid a broker's commission because of this new policy? Hope you used a deep discount broker because if not the commission on 5600 shares is hefty. Did you get a capital loss or gain? up to $3000 can be deducted per year on the loss.....not sure what the tax on capital gains is at this time.

TOTAL RESPECT to you man!

Take my hat off to you, give you my hand!

Here in Scotland, the SLA are now trying to push a law bach through the Scottish parliment, to allow smoking back in bars where food is not served, children are not permitted, and the pubs are owned privately. MILLIONS of jobs have been lost here, with over 37% of pubs closed down, and others on the road out. Standing up for your principles, whether the next man thinks they are right or wrong..is fabulous!

Lang may yer lum reek! (which means incidentally long may your chimney blow smoke but in other words LONG LIFE!)

x

Government will save millions in health care costs. Too much drinking in Scotland anyway. Bad reputation.

No smoking in work places, restaurants, airplanes, hotels, ships...see a trend here? Dah!

my competitors choose to be non-smoking
Your competitors choose to follow Ohio state law. :rolleyes: But I digress...

You won't be missed. Not by Carnival, and certainly not by 90% of the passengers onboard.

Good luck with that NCL thing.

I agree with the first post and dont blame him for cancelling his upcoming cruises,i am booked on the dream for april 2012 and if i hadnt booked a cove balcony then i would cancel mine as well ,and i will be seriously considering not to cruise again unless i can afford a balcony stateroom,i really think there will be alot of smokers doing the same,if theres one place we enjoy having a smoke its usually when we are relaxing in our room but thats been taken away now so i hope all you non smokers are happy,we pay alot of money to enjoy our holidays just like you but non smokers seem to think its all about what they want,what about what we want. maybe there should be a couple of ships that are completely smoke free and we can choose which one we would rather go on and see who makes more money,the non smoking 1 or the smokers and i bet its the smoking 1 cause i reckon that we buy more alcahol as well.

maybe its "non smokers want everything" because we enjoy our health.

Smokers wanting everything harms people.

What non-smokers are pushing for keeps people healthy.

Its not that non-smokers want this policy just to spite all the smokers.

No, we dont like the smell, health effects, anything.

This wasn't a decision made in haste. I'm sure it was thought out and much debated. I find it interesting that 20% of the US population smokes, but yet carnival claims only 10 percent of their guests are smokers. If that's the case smokers cruise far less already. Its a smart business decision if its truly 90 percent that don't smoke!

Archived