Aruba with an infant

globalwife

A year and a half ago my husband and I visited Aruba on a cruise and just took the bus to Palm Beach and walked down to Eagle Beach and then walked the town near the port.

Once again we are visiting Aruba and will be there from 7am to 8pm but will have a 4 month old baby in tow. We love to snorkel and have been thinking about heading to baby beach. Is there shade there? Is the water calm enough to where hubby can snorkel some on his own while I stay with the baby on shore and then we switch.

If this is a bad idea, what other recommendations do you have? We are looking for something low key that we can just play by ear if need be since traveling with our little one is going to be a new experience for us.

Are any of the tours that they offer at the port for $10 a person any good?

There are a few palapas at Baby Beach, but they go quickly. There is a good chance that there will not be any available when you arrive. The water is very calm before the reef, but becomes very treacherous past the reef, where the best snorkeling is. There have been several drownings there. There are no buses along that side of the island, and a taxi to Baby Beach costs about $35.00 EACH WAY. Snorkeling is better at Boca Catalina, which is past Palm Beach, but they also just have a few palapas, which go very quickly. There are buses that go there, but I always take a taxi, so I don't know how far you'd have to walk from the bus stop. The snorkeling along Eagle and Palm beaches is very poor. The only other option I can think of that might meet all of your needs is to go to Depalm Island, but that has become extremely expensive. That is an all day, all inclusive excursion. When I was there, it was extremely crowded. Sorry.

There are a few palapas at Baby Beach, but they go quickly. There is a good chance that there will not be any available when you arrive. The water is very calm before the reef, but becomes very treacherous past the reef, where the best snorkeling is. There have been several drownings there. There are no buses along that side of the island, and a taxi to Baby Beach costs about $35.00 EACH WAY. Snorkeling is better at Boca Catalina, which is past Palm Beach, but they also just have a few palapas, which go very quickly. There are buses that go there, but I always take a taxi, so I don't know how far you'd have to walk from the bus stop. The snorkeling along Eagle and Palm beaches is very poor. The only other option I can think of that might meet all of your needs is to go to Depalm Island, but that has become extremely expensive. That is an all day, all inclusive excursion. When I was there, it was extremely crowded. Sorry.

Thanks, I didn't realize it cost so much to get to Baby Beach. Heading up to Boca Catalina might be better. We are also now thinking about renting a car for the day, so if we do that, I guess we can go to multiple places. Depalm sounds nice but probably more than we are willing to spend.

If anyone has any other suggestion, I would love to hear them.

I see you are traveling from South America, so maybe this won't be a problem for you. I know that most cruise lines that leave from a US port require an infant to be six months of age or they will deny boarding. Hopefully, that's not a problem for you if you are not leaving from a US port. Just wanted you to know.

I see you are traveling from South America, so maybe this won't be a problem for you. I know that most cruise lines that leave from a US port require an infant to be six months of age or they will deny boarding. Hopefully, that's not a problem for you if you are not leaving from a US port. Just wanted you to know.

Nope, not a problem. Pullmantur allows infants of any age and the best part is they don't even charge. Our little one has already been added to the reservation. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Nope, not a problem. Pullmantur allows infants of any age and the best part is they don't even charge. Our little one has already been added to the reservation. Thanks for pointing it out though.

So glad to hear that!

• 2 weeks later...

I like a tour they do down by the high rise hotels. It's the Jolly Pirates. One of you could stay on the boat while the other snorkles, and you can switch at different stops. JP allows infants onboard.

Archived