Molokini Snorkel

ken987

I did try a search in the ports forum but no real luck.

Does anyone know if there are any Molokini snorkel tours that leave at 9AM?

We don't tender in Lahaina til 8AM and most all the ones I googled leave before that time. I also found out on google that if you book the afternoon tour you are guaranteed NOT to go to Molokini even though they advertise as such.

I would really like to snorkel there but all Celebrity offers is the west Maui snorkel sail and the description is just too vague for me to spend $123 a person to go snorkeling.

Please chime in if you know anything and yes if I must I can settle for that secret spot on some beach near where the Century is docked in Lahaina.

Thanks in advance.

We don't tender in Lahaina til 8AM and most all the ones I googled leave before that time. I also found out on google that if you book the afternoon tour you are guaranteed NOT to go to Molokini even though they advertise as such.

I would really like to snorkel there but all Celebrity offers is the west Maui snorkel sail and the description is just too vague for me to spend $123 a person to go snorkeling.

Please chime in if you know anything and yes if I must I can settle for that secret spot on some beach near where the Century is docked in Lahaina.

Thanks in advance.

We were on Maui a couple of years ago, not on a cruise. We booked an independent trip through a place called Scuba Shack in Kihei. I don't remember what time we left, but you might check with them. I wanna say we paid about 70 pp for the three of us.

Unfortunately, the majority of the morning snorkel trips to Molokini that I am aware of, depart Lahaina harbor between 6 - 8 AM. The primary reason that they put the disclaimer on the afternoon trip is that the trade winds come up and on a lot of the afternoons make it unsafe (and sandy, murky water) to anchor at Molokini so they go to an alternate site...usually Turtle Town, Turtle Arches and sometimes in the area of Marker 14 (all considered West Maui)..and all very good sites to snorkel, but also subject to the trades and sand mucking up the visibility. You might try looking on line at Snorkel Bobs, Boss Frogs or Maui Dive, three of the larger companies with snorkel trips on Maui and cost about half of what X is charging. Of course there is always the issue of getting back in time for the ships departure when on independent excursions. :eek:

Thanks in advance.

I believe the West Maui snorkel is with Trilogy, one of the best on Maui. If it is, you will have a much better experience than Molokini. The tour goes to Honolua Bay, a marine preserve, and Slaughterhouse Beach where there are turtles. Lunch is served and it's just a very nice trip. the water around Molokini can be rough any time of the year and frankly, I think the marine diversity is better at Honolua.

If you can't get a morning snorkel trip, save your money.

The last several times we've been to Lahaina, we take the free bus to Whalers Village and walk along the beach to the Sheraton. The snorkeling at Black Rock is usually very good and he price is right. :)

If the timing is off for the free bus, we take the public bus -- $1

Aloha!

Archived