Buenos Aires Rio De Janerio

bgp

How is the Azamara Journey for Rio to BA in early Feb? Weather? seas?

Are ports safe?

BGP

Cruised there Feb this year, weather fine & warm, seas calm. But that's just one person's experience, and climate statistics via google would give a better idea of the average.

By & large, south american cities are much less safe than other parts of the world.

Some tourists fall victim. But like any enterprising businessman, the criminal fraternity pick out the easiest & most profitable clientele. There'll be plenty of dumb tourists who fit the bill, so if you use common-sense you'll be at low risk.

We did our own thing, using taxis, metro etc, but you do need to be streetwise & careful:

Be careful what you wear. You will not be able to disguise the fact that you're a tourist, but the cities are full of tourists. Wearing expensive stuff - or even counterfeit Rolex Oyster and such - will mark you out as good targets.

Be careful what you carry. Carry stuff securely, don't take ashore stuff you don't need or more cash than you expect to spend.

A separate bill-fold with a few dollars & a couple of out-of-date credit cards or store cards might be worthwhile, though I've never bothered.

Be careful where you go. In Rio's tourist areas such as Corcovada or Sugarloaf you'll be surrounded by tourists so you only need to be wary of distraction crime and scams. On Ipenema you'll be surrounded by tourists & respectable locals but if, esp in the evening, you wander down a dark sidestreet off the main beach road or away from the well-lit restaurant areas ........... well, you've only got yourself to blame.

In the evenings, best to take a cab from A to B.

Be careful when you go. La Boca district of Buenos Aires is great for an afternoon - a bohemian area of gaily-painted buildings and street restaurants with tango dancers - join in with them, great fun. Lots of interest, loads of tourists.

But unsafe at night. In fact, none-too-safe on the periphery - incl around Boca Juniors stadium - even day-time. If you vist the stadium, do it with a taxi or guide.

On the other hand, in the busy streets of the city centre around the Pink Palace & along Florida is safe & enjoyable day or evening.

............................................................................................

Finally, in both cities taxi touts at the cruise terminal will offer fixed-price tours & transfers.

The taxis commandeered by the touts are generally in the same livery as metered cabs in the street, the difference is the drivers' outlook on business. Though the touts' taxi drivers are more likely to speak a little english.

If you know where you want to go, and you've got it written down in portuguese (Rio) or spanish (BA) or on a map, walk past the touts & the taxis lined up by the port, & hail a metered cab that's driving past. It'll cost you half the touts' price.

Do also make sure that you have the port address written down, for your taxi back to the ship. In BA we didn't, cos we were confident. And ended up at the ferry terminal :rolleyes:

Our fault, & fortunately it wasn't far from the cruiseport.

If you want a tour, a fixed price per hour isn't such a bad idea, and there's a degree of haggling can be done. Insist on a driver with a passable grasp of english. We had a good 2-hour tour in BA, incl the Necropolis etc, and paid the driver off at La Boca cos we wanted to stay there longer.

In Rio, if you want to get to the Corcovada bottom funicular station, walk past the touts & hail a metered cab. If you choose the funicular, go early - from mid-morning trains are block-booked by tour groups & you could face a 2-hour line.

But alternatively consider a deal with the touts which takes you from port gate & drives you up Corcovada, waits for you for an hour or so, then takes to to any reasonable drop point in the city (eg back to port, to Ipenema or Copacabana, we chose Sugarloaf cablecar station). But don't be fooled by taxi touts' price comparisons with the funicular up Corcovada - with a taxi you pay an entry fee at the top, with the funicular its included in the ticket price.

Our driver actually had his meter running (guess he wanted to check the comparison) & including waiting time at Corcovada it showed within a few dollars of the agreed fixed-price. But we were two, & the funicular would've been cheaper. Four in the taxi makes a taxi marginally cheaper.

Don't take a one-way cab up Corcovada, prospects of a cab available for the return are slim.

Reading through, this is giving the impression that few tourists survive. :D

And its really not that bad :rolleyes: And all-in-all a very interesting cruise down the east coast of S America, with Rio & BA the highlights. :)

John Bull :)

How is the Azamara Journey for Rio to BA in early Feb? Weather? seas?

Are ports safe?

BGP

We were in both ports early March and the weather was excellent. Our group used reputable private guides and felt safe in both cities. There was so much to do and see in both cities and you'll feel exhausted at the end of an 6-8 hour tour. I hope you enjoy the experience.

The seasons in the southern hemisphere are the opposite of those in the northern hemisphere so February is summer below the equator. Accordingly, the weather for a Rio-BA run in February should be warm and sunny. The climate in BA itself will be hot and muggy especially in the early part of the month.

The ports:

Santos, adjacent to Guaraju, a pleasant, upscale beach town which is the weekend retreat of many wealthy Paulistas. Guaraju is as safe as any US town.

Rio follows. The reports of crime and danger in Rio are exaggerated, but caution needs to be exercised on the streets as in any major metropolis in order not to be a pick pocket or purse snatching victim. Almost all violent crime occurs in the favelas where you will not be going.

Paraty - a small colonial town with lots of arts, crafts and local color. You will probably want to take a schooner ride from the local dock. A cruise around the bay with stops for swimming, snorkling, drinks and lunch on one of the many small islamds can be purchased from one of the numerous schooners at the pier. No need to buy an excursion from Azamara.

Itajau - a larger town. You can buy a tour at the pierside from a taxi driver to go to some more interesting towns (older German colonies) about an hour away or perhaps opt for a ship excursion.

Montevideo - Best to take a winery tour. Search here for Zavarella (sp- sorry) or some such winery that has been written about . Good tour and not expensive. Or browse old town for antiques.

Bs As. - A sophisticated if not hectic metropolis. You can spend many days here and not be bored or accomplish all there is to see, do and especially eat!

I found my cruise on the Azamara Journey from Santos to BA to be a great trip and a great value although prices might have changed since when this cruise was first introduced. The service and food are comparable to Oceania.

You don't indicate if you are going direct to the Cruise Ship in B/A or are spending the night (or two ) in B/A. If you are going direct to the cruise ship, when you get in the EZE Airport (international) go direct to the Transportation desk (inside the airport just beynd where you exit int the terminal itself), book your Cab through them, they will quote you a fixed rate to your destination, much cheaper than going outside and hailing a Cab or using one of the Touts.

I have only been to Rio twice, John Bull has given you excellent advise in great detail, I agree with everything he said about Rio.

RE; Buenos Aires, I make numerous trips to Argentina every year, I book and accompany Sportsmen on various Hunting and Fishing Expeditions. I also am an avid cruiser and cruised both the Journey and the Quest each more than once. B/A is my home away from home. For a day or two there I suggest you use and contact Ms Susana Epel at; www.susanapel.com.ar I use Susana for my clients and have been w/her myself, she knows B/A very well and speaks fluent Englsh, she will show you the sights of the Recoleta, Palermo & Puerto Modero Districts, recommend the fine Steak Houses in B/A and Tango Shows if this is your desire. I personally always stay at the Sheraton Hotel (Conference Hotel)or the Marriott in the Puerto Modero area. Same advise as John Bull has given you, make sure you are always aware of your surroundings, use Cabs at night (cabs in B/A are very reasonable) If you go to the Florida Street shopping area, most tourist do, keep in mind it is very heavy with pedestrain traffic, keep your valuables close at hand here. Most shops there sell cheap merchandice., but near the Marriott there are some upscale shops that sell excellent clothing specialtys and good quality leather goods. While there enjoy their famous Malbecs (Red) and Torrontes Wines (White) w/ a great Steak Dinner. You will find the people of Argentina to be most gracious and kind hosts.

I do hope you enjoy your trip.

I just wanted to add a couple of comments.

I hope that you are spending some additional time in Buenos Aires. It is very European.

Unlike John, I find that most stops on this itinerary are quite safe and just as safe as most places we have sailed around the world.

While we love Buenos Aires and have visited there many times, you do need to watch out for pickpocket's here. Of course I say the same things about Naples, Italy and Barcelona,Spain. The other area to watch for is Santiago should you spend a pre cruise there. It's a nice city, not as nice as Buenos Aires, but you need to be careful there as well. The city with a lot of crime is Rio but it wouldn't be on this itinerary.

Most other ports are very small towns and we find them very quaint and very safe.

It's a beautiful itinerary.

While it is summer when you will be visiting as you go further south it become cool and windy so you need to bring clothing to keep you warm such as hat, gloves, scarf, fleece, jacket and warm pants. At the same time the places further north will be very warm.

It's a beautiful itinerary which we have done multiple times.

The odds say you will have some rough seas as you go around Cape Horn so if you get sea sick bring some items to minimize that for you. You may get fortunate and not have rough seas but the odds say you will.

It is a beautiful trip with lots of wonderful scenery and the people are wonderful.

Keith

I just wanted to add a couple of comments.

Unlike John, I find that most stops on this itinerary are quite safe and just as safe as most places we have sailed around the world. .................. Most other ports are very small towns and we find them very quaint and very safe.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Just to clarify, I didn't know the OP's itinerary other than the quoted Rio & BA. Ours was a very different itinerary, and I was commenting on the general impressions we got. As I said we did our own thing in every port, including Santarem (mainly quite unsavoury & one lone passenger assaulted & had a wedding ring snatched from round his neck), Forteleza (bus or taxi between port & centre was very very strongly advised by port gate security staff & we could see why), Salvador de Bahia (wonderful old town above the port was safe, but the numerous excellent tourist police were at every road out of old town turning back tourists who went astray), and Montevideo (absolutely no problem for us or our fellow-cruisers - and we did explore way beyond the old town - but it does have a bad reputation)

Ooooops. Now I've put the wind up the OP :rolleyes:

So, just to stress, low risk if you use common sense ;)

JB :)

We were in both ports early March and the weather was excellent. Our group used reputable private guides and felt safe in both cities. There was so much to do and see in both cities and you'll feel exhausted at the end of an 6-8 hour tour. I hope you enjoy the experience.

We also cruised on Azamara in February and the weather and seas were wonderful (we did have 1 day of rain in Puenta del Este). We also used private guides during the day and for nitetime entertainment and we felt safe. As in any large city, using good sense and staying away from certain areas is smart. In spite of all the warnings about Rio, apart from not carrying alot of $$ and walking around only in very good areas and the beach, it is fine. Petty thiefs and pickpockets can be found in many other cities, eg Barcelona, Rome, etc. Don't be intimidated by overly cautious posters but use good sense.

• 1 month later...

Hot hot and humid will we find Buenos Aires and Rio in February? We're signed up for a cruise beginning February 15 and are quite uncomfortable in high heat and especially high humidity. Should we go ahead, or reschedule at a cooler time?

Hot hot and humid will we find Buenos Aires and Rio in February? We're signed up for a cruise beginning February 15 and are quite uncomfortable in high heat and especially high humidity. Should we go ahead, or reschedule at a cooler time?

How about going Buenos Aires to Valparaiso.

It will be warm in Buenos Aires and Valparaiso (although you can go in the Spring) and much cooler as you are south from both of these locations.

Keith

• 1 month later...
The weather in Rio will be hot, but not humid. It is generally comfortable.

The weather in Buenos Aires will be hot and humid. How much time do you plan to spend outdorrs in BA?

pmacher, I'm used to debating with you on the MSC forum! Anyway, I'll be in BA for a few days in April 2012 prior to embarking on the MSC Opera for a transatlantic back to Europe. What kind of weather do I have to look forward to in BA from the 10th to the 14th of April? And since you're a South American expert, we'll be stopping in Rio, Salvador and Recife before heading across the Atlantic. Hot and humid?

What kind of weather do I have to look forward to in BA from the 10th to the 14th of April? And since you're a South American expert, we'll be stopping in Rio, Salvador and Recife before heading across the Atlantic. Hot and humid?

The weather in BA during mid April will be splendid. Mild autumn so you might need a sweater or light jacket during the day and probably will want to have one with you during the evening. In Brasil it probably will not be necessary to have a sweater even at night especially in the north where it will still be warm. You will not need to pack cold weather clothes.

The seasons in the southern hemisphere are the opposite of those in the northern hemisphere so February is summer below the equator. Accordingly, the weather for a Rio-BA run in February should be warm and sunny. The climate in BA itself will be hot and muggy especially in the early part of the month.

Very broad rule of thumb: Add six months to the month you are going.

For example, February (month 2) will be roughly equivalent to August (month 2+6=8) in the Northern Hemisphere. Then adjust according to how close to the equator you are, such as in February Buenos Aires should be much hotter than Ushuaia, just as Baltimore should be much hotter than Quebec in August.

• 1 month later...

I tried to find www.susanapel.com.ar and it is not a website...can you please check this again????????

The ports:

Santos, adjacent to Guaraju, a pleasant, upscale beach town which is the weekend retreat of many wealthy Paulistas. Guaraju is as safe as any US town.

Rio follows. The reports of crime and danger in Rio are exaggerated, but caution needs to be exercised on the streets as in any major metropolis in order not to be a pick pocket or purse snatching victim. Almost all violent crime occurs in the favelas where you will not be going.

Paraty - a small colonial town with lots of arts, crafts and local color. You will probably want to take a schooner ride from the local dock. A cruise around the bay with stops for swimming, snorkling, drinks and lunch on one of the many small islamds can be purchased from one of the numerous schooners at the pier. No need to buy an excursion from Azamara.

Itajau - a larger town. You can buy a tour at the pierside from a taxi driver to go to some more interesting towns (older German colonies) about an hour away or perhaps opt for a ship excursion.

Montevideo - Best to take a winery tour. Search here for Zavarella (sp- sorry) or some such winery that has been written about . Good tour and not expensive. Or browse old town for antiques.

Bs As. - A sophisticated if not hectic metropolis. You can spend many days here and not be bored or accomplish all there is to see, do and especially eat!

I found my cruise on the Azamara Journey from Santos to BA to be a great trip and a great value although prices might have changed since when this cruise was first introduced. The service and food are comparable to Oceania.

We cruised on Azamara Journey late Feb-early March & had great weather except one day of rain in Puenta del Este. The food was very good, comparable with Oceania. We used private guides in the main cities and felt quite safe (but were conscious of our surroundings). If you have time, we added a few xtra days in BA and flew to Igusau Falls for the day and it was great.

Archived