I pad

cowboygene

What is the benefit/purpose for the international phone card? You can use the painfully slow wi-fi on the ship, but you have to buy the minutes to access it. Of course when you get off in port there is normally plenty of faster free wifi available.

phone card I had didnt even work in a phone booth in key west. It was either from CVS or Walgrens.

Dont buy one they arent good to call from any ports Iv been to.. read the small print, says only good from the US I bet.

I use a internet cafe when Im in port. I pad will pick up signals in some places in ports, just check.

Gene,

Don't hesitate to take it with you. I love having mine with me when I travel.

Here's the deal on email and internet access with an iPad (or any other device) needing web access at sea.

Regardless of your carrier a phone, iPad, computer, etc needs a relay source close by for signal. That would be the a ship/cruise line provided source. They use it as a a source of profit.

Once aboard you can set up a internet account and purchase a block of minutes for use while you are on the cruise. The iPad will access the internet via the ship provided signal, and the meter will run based on your time spent online.

Set up your email to work with the Mail app on the iPad. Compose and read your email off line, then synch once you have accessed the web from the ship. Log off! Read your email at your leisure.

An international card has no use with an iPad or any other device while aboard the ship.

Take your iPad (if you wish) to a shopping area and see if you can get a wifi signal. I got one in Grand Cayman and Cozumel ports on our most recent cruise. The Cozumel one was at a coffee shop, and for a $4.00 purchase he shared the password for his network. Make sure you turn off file sharing, else someone can see your data.

Another option is Skype. The account is free, and you can add a Skype phone number for around $4 a month (don't quote me here on that price) and access a phone that works via wifi while in port.

I used my iPhone (in airplane mode) over wifi to make calls home via Skype with great success. You can call any phone number that way.

Whatever you do on the ship you are at their mercy for pricing. Often if you make a block of time purchase the first day they offer a discount, or bundle minutes.

Good Sailing.

Archived