South Carolina Legislature says "Thank You Carnival:

Jabee

I have nothing against Charleston BUT... for those of you interested in a cruise out of Savannah... good news may be coming your way... :D

[URL]http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2010/07/savannah-georgia-cruise-ship-home-port-carnival-royal-caribbean/101480/1[/URL]

[quote name='Bo Didly'][COLOR=#3b5998]John Heald News[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#3b5998]Quote ,[/COLOR]
for those whio are concerned about Charleston in 2012 let me say this. The week of June 27th will bring news and for those worried that we may be leaving.........let me say you wont [B][U]need a box of tissues[/U][/B].[/quote]

[B]June 27[/B] [B][I][U][COLOR=green]TODAY ![/COLOR][/U][/I][/B] Anyone hear any news :confused:

[quote name='Bo Didly'][B]June 27[/B] [B][I][U][COLOR=green]TODAY ![/COLOR][/U][/I][/B] Anyone hear any news :confused:[/quote]

Week of June 27th probably IF we hear anything will be Thurs or Fri normal day for news. I am waiting patiently myself

[QUOTE]Are you a native to the area or did you move there for the mild winters ?
Anyone who has been to Charleston would understand that history is that city's meal-ticket.
Yeah, they promote the Civil War, just like they promote Revolutionary War. All that history is what attracts tourist.
That is why it is understandable that the historical old city center has some sensitive areas. Apparently there are those who feel that a modern cruise terminal might detract from the ambiance of the historic district.
Idiots ? hardly so !! Most people who are into historical preservation/restoration tend to be rather erudite. As for wealthy...all I can say is that there has been more philanthropy from wealthy businessmen than from beggars. People with a little extra money on their hands have also kept the ships floating and the hotels full in Charleston.
for the record, I'm sailing soon from Charleston on the Fantasy. I'm not taking sides as much as attempting to see both sides. I'm flying in early and staying in heart of the old city center, so Charleston's past historical preservation was a deciding factor in selecting this cruise. If Charleston had forgotten the past and paved over the cobblestone streets...I wouldn't be coming.[/QUOTE]

Moved to the Charleston area a little over seven years ago for reasons that have nothing to do with weather. Not sure what that has to do with anything.

Yes, I fully understand that history plays a large roll in the appeal of Charleston as a destination. Absolutely, no doubt. No arguments from me.

However, the motives of these particular groups are not pure and have little to do with preservation. I have met members of these groups and they just like to make a lot of noise in order to drown out any dissenting opinions.

I stand by my assertion that they are bored idiots.

[quote name='cruzeluver']Moved to the Charleston area a little over seven years ago for reasons that have nothing to do with weather. Not sure what that has to do with anything.

Yes, I fully understand that history plays a large roll in the appeal of Charleston as a destination. Absolutely, no doubt. No arguments from me.

However, the motives of these particular groups are not pure and have little to do with preservation. I have met members of these groups and they just like to make a lot of noise in order to drown out any dissenting opinions.

I stand by my assertion that they are bored idiots.[/QUOTE]
good enough for me.

[quote name='futaba951']It may not make Carnival pull out, but I would suspect at the least it would slow plans for expanded service and/or larger ships. Charleston may be doomed to nothing larger than a Fantasy class for the extended future. And it may make cruise lines think twice about Charleston as a port stop or part year venture. These groups are not stupid, I'm sure, and they may realize the futility of trying to force Carnival out, but this may be a preemptive strike to slam the brakes on any thoughts of expansion in the future.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="4"]Along this line, does anyone have any real knowledge about other lines having ships in Charleston? Norwegian used to have Majesty. Believe Celebrity had a short fling there not too long ago.

Kathy[/SIZE]

[quote name='petesweet'][SIZE="4"]Along this line, does anyone have any real knowledge about other lines having ships in Charleston? Norwegian used to have Majesty. Believe Celebrity had a short fling there not too long ago.

Kathy[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Fantasy is the only ship leaving from Charleston currently.
NCL let the ship they had here go to pot because they knew they were selling it off. Then they did not replace it. Thankfully.

Now most other lines have ships that stop here as a port of call.
Usually one or two every other week.

Bill

[quote name='All4fun&fun4all']Hooray for Charleston! Fantasy stays. Even though we prefer the 6 day itinerary to Nassau, Freeport and Key West, I would say a 5 day with a sprinkling of 7 day cruises are much better than none at all![/QUOTE]

Just checked out Carnival....a little bummed that the five day cruises just go to Freeport and Nassau...we can still hike it down to Jacksonville for HMC...but glad she's staying in Charleston:D

Archived