Late embarkation?

Mrs_Duffy

Does anyone know how late you can check in on embarkation day when you are over-nighting in the embarkation port? We are scheduled on a cruise that begins on Monday in Stockholm, but doesn't actually leave Stockholm until 4 pm on Tuesday.

We'll be in Stockholm for a few days beforehand, and were wondering if we could just spend the entire day on Monday sightseeing, and get to the ship to check-in, drop-off luggage around dinner time. That way we could minimize back-and-forth to the ship and maximize our time in port.

I've put in a message to Oceania, but I'm too impatient to wait for an answer, so I thought I'd ask here!

Does anyone know how late you can check in on embarkation day when you are over-nighting in the embarkation port? We are scheduled on a cruise that begins on Monday in Stockholm, but doesn't actually leave Stockholm until 4 pm on Tuesday.

We'll be in Stockholm for a few days beforehand, and were wondering if we could just spend the entire day on Monday sightseeing, and get to the ship to check-in, drop-off luggage around dinner time. That way we could minimize back-and-forth to the ship and maximize our time in port.

I've put in a message to Oceania, but I'm too impatient to wait for an answer, so I thought I'd ask here!

If your cruise departs on Tuesday, you may check in at any time that suits you on Monday. The front desk of the ship is manned 24/7.

When we sailed Nautica two years ago we were staying with friends in Istanbul and had the same overnight situation you describe. We checked in mid-afternoon on the first day, spent that last night with our friends and actually got onboard in the afternoon of the second day, about four hours before departure, but a full day after we first COULD board. No problems, but our room steward was concerned because we had not stayed in the room overnight, and he was concerned something had happened to us. So, I recommend if you do this, let them know at check-in so O knows you are ok. Have a wonderful time. Stockholm is a magnificent city.

Are you sure you are on Oceania? I am on the Baltic treasures Cruise that leaves Stockholm on Tuesday. But it is not available for boarding on Monday and it doesn't leave until 6 PM. And none of the other Oceania ships are in that port.

Are you sure you are on Oceania? I am on the Baltic treasures Cruise that leaves Stockholm on Tuesday. But it is not available for boarding on Monday and it doesn't leave until 6 PM. And none of the other Oceania ships are in that port.

Yes. I'm pretty sure that's a detail I wouldn't forget :) We're on a Scandinavian Splendors itinerary that leaves later this summer. By Monday I meant a Monday, not this coming Monday. It's funny you should say something because after I posted I wondered if I should have been clearer regarding the dates!

Thanks to all for your responses!

"Baltic Treasures" is a different itinerary from "Scandinavian Splendors". Baltic Treasures is a 10-day cruise on the Marina. Scandinavian Splendors is always a 14-day cruise on one of the R ships and does indeed have an overnight in Stockholm.

"Baltic Treasures" is a different itinerary from "Scandinavian Splendors". Baltic Treasures is a 10-day cruise on the Marina. Scandinavian Splendors is always a 14-day cruise on one of the R ships and does indeed have an overnight in Stockholm.

I would be very careful and check again. As far as I know, Scandinavian splendors leaves Stockholm on Friday Aug 19 and Friday Sept 16. My brochure shows the overnight in Stockholm as actually a 'free' 1 night pre cruise HOTEL stay. My TA told me it wasn't free and if you decline it ( for example if you are in a different hotel for a day or two beforehand) you will get a credit or at least avoid some related charges.

I would be very careful and check again. As far as I know, Scandinavian splendors leaves Stockholm on Friday Aug 19 and Friday Sept 16. My brochure shows the overnight in Stockholm as actually a 'free' 1 night pre cruise HOTEL stay. My TA told me it wasn't free and if you decline it ( for example if you are in a different hotel for a day or two beforehand) you will get a credit or at least avoid some related charges.

There is definitely some confusion here. I think we are talking about different years and slightly different itineraries.

OP stated she was booked on a cruise leaving on a Monday from Stockholm later this summer. I assumed it was the Scandinavian Splendors that boards on Monday Aug 22, 2011 and departs Stockholm the next day at 4:00 pm. This is not the so-called 'free' hotel night, but an actual night on board the ship.

I believe you are looking at the 2012 itineraries. I stand corrected on my statement that Scandinavian Splendors "always" includes an overnight in Stockholm. It has in the past and does THIS year, but not in 2012.

There is definitely some confusion here. I think we are talking about different years and slightly different itineraries.

OP stated she was booked on a cruise leaving on a Monday from Stockholm later this summer. I assumed it was the Scandinavian Splendors that boards on Monday Aug 22, 2011 and departs Stockholm the next day at 4:00 pm. This is not the so-called 'free' hotel night, but an actual night on board the ship.

I believe you are looking at the 2012 itineraries. I stand corrected on my statement that Scandinavian Splendors "always" includes an overnight in Stockholm. It has in the past and does THIS year, but not in 2012.

You're right of course. Mea culpa.

Hawkeye's right, we board on a Monday, but don't leave port until Tuesday at 4 pm.

I got confirmation from Oceania, via my TA, that I can board later in the evening on Monday. I was pretty sure JimandStan would be right :) but, I'm glad to have it in writing from the cruise line.

Archived