Getting from Rome to Milan at Cruise End

danphou

I am going on the Star Princess next month from Venice to Rome and need to get from Civitavecchia to Milan the day our cruise ends. Our itinerary says we dock at 4am so I was wondering what would be the earliest train we might be able to take from Civitavecchia. My flight from Milan doesn't leave until 5:30pm but want to make sure I give myself enough time. Thanks so much!!!

I would book to fly the following day. There are too many variables that can hold you up including frequent, unannounced train strikes in Italy.

We have taken train from Rome to Florence to Venice to Milan and it was fine but we weren't on a cruise that trip.

You also can fly between Rome and Milan....... did you look into that?

There are too many variables that can hold you up including frequent, unannounced train strikes in Italy.

While there are things that can get in your way, train strikes are highly unlikely. First, they are not frequent and, second, they are not unannounced. It may seem that way to a visitor (if it happened while they were there, then surely it must happen all the time), but they are planned and announced in advance. You just need to know where to look.

To get to Malpensa by train from Civitavecchia will require you to step lively. The total travel time by train is a little more than six hours, so for a comfortable arrival (three hours prior to your flight), you'd need to be on a 8 AM train from Civitavecchia, which arrives at Malpensa at 2:17 PM and includes changes at Rome Termini and Milano Centrale.

If you have a greater appetite for risk, there is an 8:41 from Civitavecchia that arrives at 2:43.

I am going on the Star Princess next month from Venice to Rome and need to get from Civitavecchia to Milan the day our cruise ends. Our itinerary says we dock at 4am so I was wondering what would be the earliest train we might be able to take from Civitavecchia. My flight from Milan doesn't leave until 5:30pm but want to make sure I give myself enough time. Thanks so much!!!

Have you considered renting a car? Driving in Italy is very easy, if you stay out of major cities. The highways are great and while you may need some Euros for tolls, everything else is like driving in the US. :) Not to mention the scenery is spectacular! The trip should take approximately 6 hours. You can take a gps with you or rent one from the car company. When we drove through Italy we asked for a mid-sized car and ended up with a Ford Station Wagon (no such model here in US) and it was awesome!

Archived