Serendipity

Spinner2

What moments of serendipity have you found on your cruises? "Serendipity" is, by definition, accidental; you can't plan it, can't look it up in a guidebook--you just find it. My DH and I look for it in every port by discreetly eavesdropping on local conversation that we hear, asking questions, and just looking around us for clues. And we usually find it if we have free time on our own (even a little) to look and ask.

For starters, here are just some of our moments of serendipity from our most recent Eurodam (Baltic/North Seas) cruise but what was a magical moment for us might not be for you--and you'll notice that serendipity for us is often unexpected food opportunities :):

London: We set out for a fish and chips dinner at a location highly praised in the local Zagat, only to discover that even though it was Friday night, it wouldn't open until 7 pm. We were getting up early the next morning to go to the cruise port so didn't want to wait that long and we'd walked a good distance from the tube station to get there. But! There were many restaurants nearby. We walked around a bit, observed which ones had lots of customers and listened for the accents that would tell us this was a place liked by the locals. And that's how we found a wonderful meal at the Coachmaker's, 88 Marylebone; about 10 minute walk from the Bond Street tube; Marylebone can be seen just past the construction outside the underground station. Fresh fish! Everything prepared from scratch! And cheap!

Copenhagen: We went to the train station and asked the information clerk where we might go on the train that would be different, fun, and we could get back in 3 hours or so. She thought and thought and then suggested the Deer Park which is at the Klampenborg Station on the "C" line from the main train station; last stop. Just follow the locals as they leave the train; you walk right into this beautiful forest (to the left) or beach (to the right) and there's a nice amusement park there as well. Rides and food cost money (you'll need Danish kroners) but there's no charge for the park.

Lillesand (Kristiansand): A "lunch on your own" 30 minutes on a HAL tour; at the first restaurant we checked out, the offering was a huge buffet which we would have no time to eat. The host there walked us outside and pointed us to Gadhe's which is about a block down from where the bus drops you, then up the hill, on the right. Fresh-baked rolls with fresh-caught little shrimps on them; wonderful hot chocolate and a delightful conversation with the young waitress who's just completed high school and will start college in the fall. We learned about her musical family, what her plans are. She had time to talk; no one else was there at that time. We'd never have found this on our own!

Stockholm: In the Old Town plaza (all tours will go there it seems) you'll see the Nobel Museum. We asked locals for a good place for a quick lunch and this museum's cafe was their suggestion; most on our tour were going to this snazzy outdoor cafe but we went with the local suggestion. That would have been enough, but while we were enjoying our sandwiches and looking around at some of the Nobel displays near the cafe we observed 3 Asian teens come in, open their guide book and take it up to the cashier. Soon she brought them 3 luscious-looking sundaes; being ice-cream lovers, we too inquired of the cashier. She explained that these are replicas of the dessert that is served at the end of many Nobel prize meals; included is a large "gold" chocolate coin with the Nobel medal embedded. Such a fun treat and if we hadn't eavesdropped on the Asian boys . . . the cashier says every Asian guidebook includes this but she's never seen it mentioned elsewhere.

So, look around, ask questions, see what you find.

What moments of serendipity have you found while cruising? Share!

Leaving Ft Lauderdale on 28 November 2010 on the Nieuw Amsterdam and spotting a HUGE waterspout off (1/2 mile perhaps) off the side of the ship!! And having other CC members with us during the sail away party on our verandah watching it with us:)

Sunset at sea while having our verandah In Room Dining Experience and sharing that beautiful sight with our waiter for the evening.

The above were my most serendipitous moments recently:)

Joanie

DeeBee, we've found this to be so very true since we started the serendipity idea in our travels. It's certainly helped us to make lemonade out of a lemon more than once! Some plans are just meant to be broken when you're presented with a better opportunity.

While on a whalewatching tour with Harv n Marv in Juneau, Ak; we were visited by a baby whale. It actually sounded right next to our small boat, and I must say that even the tour operator was astounded at this. It had been feeding with two adults ( one I assume was the mom ) and appeared within ten feet of us. Very exciting, but the thought of its mother joining it did give me some moments of trepidation.

Marilyn

What a refreshing thread, Spinner - thanks for starting it.

I think my most magical moment was my first encounter with one of those amazing double rainbows in the Caribbean. I'd never seen one so bright, and I'd never been where I could see both ends at the same time. It felt like I could reach right out and touch it. I was mesmerized and didn't break to get the camera till it was nearly faded out.

Gosh, that was beautiful.

I stepped off Veendam onto a tender in...now I don't even remember where, but I stepped onto the tender, took a seat, and realized I was sitting next to a man I had car-pooled with and had worked with for many years but had totally lost touch with after I left that company. It was a unplanned but happy reunion to see him and his wife again.

Then on Ryndam this past February, we were sitting in Crow's Nest at sailaway reminiscing a couple we had met in Crow's Nest at sailaway a couple of years earlier. We had met for cocktails several times on that cruise, enjoyed each other's company, but had not kept in touch. Later that evening as we were walking to dinner, we stopped dead in our tracks -- there they were, sitting outside Pinnacle Grill.

We've had other happy and unplanned reunions on cruises but these were the first two to come to mind. :)

We were on a ship last year that was in Curacao until a late sailaway.

DH and had spent a long day ashore, it was hot and humid and though we had planned to go back out for dinner ashore, which we always love, I was tired. DH suggested we stay aboard and tried to get a Pinnacle Booking for us. Concierge said, No reservations available. We called direct to Pinnacle and were told it was all booked.

I had rested a little and felt better so we decided we'd go ashore but to a closer restaurant than where we initially planned.

We went to a very lovely restaurant with inside or patio dining. We chose the patio and our view was across the water to the pastel colored gabbled buildings that are so charming. To our huge surprise, while enjoying a pre-dinner drink at our table, in walked a couple we had not seen for a long time who are very fond of and share HAL memories.

There was another HAL ship in port, also sailing late, and this couple were sailing the other ship and it was sheer 'serendipity' we got to see them again and have a lovely chat. Had we gone to our original choice of restaurant, we would have missed them. Same if we had gone to Pinnacle. It was meant to be we would be in the same place at the same time IMO

We were both in Aruba next day and saw them again for lunch along with another couple. It was a real treat, a memorable occurence and wonderful time.

As I've said so many times, for us, HAL is all about the people.

One evening after dinner on our last cruise, we were just wondering around, checking out the various venues. We came across what appeared to be a private gathering in a darkened bar. Someone waved us in and there was the most amazing Folk Quartet. After listening to them sing and talk for awhile, they explained that they were friends who had been playing music for 50 years and had decided to take a cruise together since one of them had become terminally ill. They had checked with the front desk for a bar that was closed that they could use to play for awhile. They were an amazing 'garage band' of 70 yr old guys that played for fun (and free). The best hour of the cruise!

I'm so enjoying reading all of your replies! In the midst of the cruise details we can't agree upon and riding high above the stresses of getting ready to depart for our cruises, I'm convinced that these magical unplanned moments are a major part of what binds us together as cruise companions and bring us the most joy in our recollection of wonderful cruise moments.

Thanks, everyone, for sharing!

A few years ago aboard the Ryndam we were seated in the show lounge when the onstage comedian asked if there were any fellow Pennsylvanians there. The lady seated next to me put up her hand, as did I. When asked her hometown she replied "Latrobe" which happens to be my hometown, which I left some 50 years ago. She told me her name was "Curto" which was instantly familiar to me but I couldn't quite place it. Toward the end of the show I somehow recalled it was the name of my 1st grade school teacher back in 1941. The lady next to me almost fell out of her chair and said her Aunt was a 1st grade teacher in Latrobe at that time!!!!

How's that for a marvelous coincidence? Not only that we were on the same ship! But we actually made the connection as a result of a simple question asked by the stage comedian!!!

RonJoan

In October 2004, we were sailing on the Maasdam in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and, since our cabin was close to the stern of Verandah deck (and our verandah was facing east), we went out on the stern to see the sunset. It was quite cool, but the sun was bright and sky clear. Just as the last part of the sun had set, the fabled 'green flash' appeared. I was totally taken aback by how bright and green it was.

Earlier, we had seen what we thought was the green flash when the very last part of the setting sun would turn green. But now we know we were just seeing the last part of the sun's disk on these occasions, which can turn green because of differential refraction (green light refracts more than red light). If you ever see the green flash, you will know it! If you're not sure if it was the green flash, then you haven't seen it.

A few years ago we took a 4 day repositioning cruise from San Diego to Vancouver on Statendam. We have family in San Diego and flew down there for a few days and just figured taking a short cruise back up to Vancouver would be different then just flying back (we live in the Pacific Northwest) Wasn't expecting much other than just 3 1/2 sea days of reading and relaxing as there were no port calls. One day I was in my cabin on the Main deck just looking out the window. I saw all these "things" jumping and leaping around the ship. Then I looked farther at the horizon and saw larger "things" These turned out to be a big school of porpoises with a school of whales. I have seen a few of each on our trips to Alaska but never in these numbers off the coast of California. We ran up on the promenade deck to take a closer look. The Captain came on the speaker and told everyone it was the first time he had ever seen this sight also. He estimated there was about 100 porpoises and at least 10 whales out there. What a sight. So that short 4 day cruise gave me something to remember to this day.

Archived