Need comfy trek sandals

xtianmom

I've been looking for some comfortable trek sandals, prefer closed toe. So far they have been a bit rough on the inside, or really wide. I want to have safe, comfortable shoes for the C. Islands, specifically for Dominica. We plan to do the Rainforest aerial tram. I would like to find shoes that are sandal style with a back strap. Mesh, so they will dry fast. I did search before I started this thread, but the posts are really outdated. Anybody have a pair they really love? I have tried several brands that are in the local stores, just not much to choose from. Thanks for any advice.

I've been looking for some comfortable trek sandals, prefer closed toe. So far they have been a bit rough on the inside, or really wide. I want to have safe, comfortable shoes for the C. Islands, specifically for Dominica. We plan to do the Rainforest aerial tram. I would like to find shoes that are sandal style with a back strap. Mesh, so they will dry fast. I did search before I started this thread, but the posts are really outdated. Anybody have a pair they really love? I have tried several brands that are in the local stores, just not much to choose from. Thanks for any advice.

I can't give you first hand experience, but I just saw a pair of swiss gear sandals, they were mesh closed toes, and had more of a sandal style at the back, that sounds like a silly description, but I don't know how else to say it. They were a really pretty subtle sandy green color. They were at Target and were around 30$. I plan to go back and buy a pair.

I have a pair of Teva closed toe Toachi - love them - Keen sandals don't fit my feet well. Sadly, I don't think Teva is making the closed-toe Toachi now. I've hiked up to a few miles in the Tevas (my husband has them too - we both bought from sierratradingpost.com a couple years ago) They were the only shoes we brought for a trip to Costa Rica - beach, rainforest, national parks - could handle it all:D

There are lots of sizes and many many styles at footsmart.com. I am finding that regular mall stores are having fewer and fewer wide sizes for trying on. Medium or not at all. Zappos and footsmart look for the free shipping. Sometimes shoe stores will order the size/style you need and send them to your house.

I bought Keene Newport 2 sandals that have the covered toe and sandal style with elastic back. They give good support and cushioned footbed and can be worn in the water. I will let you know how they work in the Galapagos Islands. We bought the shoes at Bass Pro Fishing stores who had a really large selection of shoes for outdoors, hiking, water etc for men women and kids. (Believe me never ever shopped in a hunting and fishing store before:D). Think out of the box for where to get the item you need. Good Luck

If you want to try shoes on in a store, other places that tend to have a good selection of hiking sandals are REI, Gander Mtn, and even Dicks Sporting Goods.

Then you can see if you can find cheaper prices online. Or look for sale coupons for that store.

Seashinesunshine...thanks, I went and took a look at the Target sandals. I must have a thick arch, can barely get them on. That was the trouble I had with several more pricey pairs. I think I need a different style. That is what I am looking for, just need a little different opening.:)

I second the Keens. My feet are prone to blisters and I am now happily blister-free while in port. :) Lightweight, comfy, closed-toe, and waterproof.

I'll add my vote to the Keens. I trekked all over India and Egypt in mine and they are still going strong [although I do admit they are looking a bit worse for wear now! ] The protected toe is wonderful. Now, they are ugly and expensive, but worth the money in my book!

After the great input, and many attempts to find something that felt just right, I have placed an order! I found Keens (the Owyhee style). Felt like slippers! Found them online @ Zappos for about $15 less than the stores, with free shipping.

Thank you all for your help! Can't wait to get them and start wearing them for the summer! That will give me plenty of time before my January cruise:)

Archived