Heathrow T3 connection?

koalagurl

We are connecting within T3 in Heathrow (BA arriving from BCN and departing Virgin Atlantic.). Two separate tickets so I assume we have to completely clear customs / immigration and collect bags before rechecking in for the VA flight.

Is this easy to do? I think we have about 3 hours to do the connection; enough time?

We are connecting within T3 in Heathrow (BA arriving from BCN and departing Virgin Atlantic.). Two separate tickets so I assume we have to completely clear customs / immigration and collect bags before rechecking in for the VA flight.
Yes, you will have to clear immigration, collect your bags and clear customs before going to check-in for your onward flight. (NB: VA is not Virgin Atlantic; you will see their flights listed using their VS code - and airports outside the US do use the airline's codes when listing flights.)

When you exit from customs, you will need to turn hard right and the follow the signs for departures, which is in an immediately adjoining building.

However, the VS check-in area is at the very far end of the other building. Because the check-in areas in between can sometimes get very crowded, my recommendation is actually to come walk across the forecourt just outside the departures building. It could be much less crowded. You can see this on pages 1, 2 and 5 of this terminal map - the VS check-in area is in Zone A.

Of course, there is no harm in asking the BA check-in desk at BCN whether they will through-check the bags. BA policy is a clear "no" on this, so be prepared for that to be the almost certain answer. But if you get lucky, then you can do a direct airside transit at T3 and only have to clear security straight into the main airside departures lounge without having to go anywhere near immigration.

Thank you! That is exactly the "real world" info I was looking for. I had looked at the maps, and we have flown in and out of Heathrow a few times recently, but each time I have connected it was on one ticket, and we followed the "connection" signs.

I will ask when we check in with BA, but I am definitely expecting the no.

One last question, on the map you provided a link to, where do we exit the arrivals area? On the map (page 5) it looks like we go through that walk way in the middle of the departure area. Do we exit the building where the taxis are and turn right to head back to the departures / check in area? (I see a purple arrow also a bit further to the top of the map, I assume this is the way to get into the departure / check in area from within the building?)

Thanks again!!

One last question, on the map you provided a link to, where do we exit the arrivals area?
When you exit customs, you walk between the two blue areas numbered 28: this is the arrivals shop. After yo get out into the meet-and-greet area, you need to do a hard right, pretty much doubling back on yourself. I think that the posted route to departures and check-in takes you to the arrow that points to the left, near the pink area numbered 1 (The Globe Freehouse). I'm not sure now (because of all the building work that's been done) whether that goes outside, or whether it goes directly into the check-in area - but ISTR it is now an exit to outside. But in any event, I think that the slanted passageway going "up" from pink numbers 3 and 4 also leads to the outside.

I'm sorry that I can't be more clear because I don't use Terminal 3 very often!

I changed airlines at Terminal 3 a couple of months ago. Turn right as you exit and you will see the bus stops outside. Then hold your breath pass the hoards of smokers and re-enter the terminal for departures. Ask anyone to direct you if necessary.

Archived