Port Liberty Hotel & Transfers

jc719

We're leaving out of Port Liberty in September. We'll be arriving in a rental car that I'll need to drop somewhere (probably EWR). We'll be there for 2-3 nights before the ship leaves and want to turn the car in ASAP. I'm hoping to find a hotel where I can drop luggage & DW, then return car to EWR and get a shuttle back to the hotel. Then we want access to transport to Manhattan for a day trip or two. Then transport to the pier. Hotel shuttles are preferred (to EWR, access to NYC (not driving INTO the city, but to a PATH or ferry station), to pier). My preferences are for Hilton, Marriott, or Priority Club (Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza) family hotels to earn/spend points.

I was thinking Hilton Garden Inn Staten Island. Opinions and/or other suggestions?

We're leaving out of Port Liberty in September. We'll be arriving in a rental car that I'll need to drop somewhere (probably EWR). We'll be there for 2-3 nights before the ship leaves and want to turn the car in ASAP. I'm hoping to find a hotel where I can drop luggage & DW, then return car to EWR and get a shuttle back to the hotel. Then we want access to transport to Manhattan for a day trip or two. Then transport to the pier. Hotel shuttles are preferred (to EWR, access to NYC (not driving INTO the city, but to a PATH or ferry station), to pier). My preferences are for Hilton, Marriott, or Priority Club (Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza) family hotels to earn/spend points.

I was thinking Hilton Garden Inn Staten Island. Opinions and/or other suggestions?

not sure who you are renting from, but if it were budget you could stay at the doubletree hotel at the jersey city waterfront. budget has a location within walking distance where you could return the car. and you would be right near the light rail which would connect with the path. also you would be close to the port.

The Hilton Penn Station Newark is $115 including tax for 9/8-9/11 on kayak.com. Grab it. It meets all your criteria. It's a Hilton. It has an airport shuttle, so getting rid of a rental car would be possible. It's located in downtown Newark across from Newark Penn Station where you can take the train to NY for $5/pp or Path to midtown or downtown for $1.75/pp. This means that you will have an easy trip in and out of Manhattan. You will have to arrange a cab or car service to take you to the port in Bayonne. This is easy to do - I wouldn't stay on Staten Island to get a free shuttle to the port. I don't recommend SI as a base for sightseeing in Manhattan - 1.5+ hours to midtown is just too long.

• 2 weeks later...
The Hilton Penn Station Newark is $115 including tax for 9/8-9/11 on kayak.com. Grab it. It meets all your criteria. It's a Hilton. It has an airport shuttle, so getting rid of a rental car would be possible. It's located in downtown Newark across from Newark Penn Station where you can take the train to NY for $5/pp or Path to midtown or downtown for $1.75/pp. This means that you will have an easy trip in and out of Manhattan. You will have to arrange a cab or car service to take you to the port in Bayonne. This is easy to do - I wouldn't stay on Staten Island to get a free shuttle to the port. I don't recommend SI as a base for sightseeing in Manhattan - 1.5+ hours to midtown is just too long.

WE WERE THINKING OF STAYING ON STATEN ISLAND FOR ONE NIGHT B/4 CRUISE. (for the fre shuttle) WOULD THAT BE RECOMMENDABLE - OR SHOULD WE TRY FOR PENN STATION (for one night) AND HIRE A CAR???

marydallas - could you provide more details? Are you flying or driving? What time do you arrive? Do you have any plans to go into NYC? Do you have a hotel budget? There are a lot of variables that go into making a recommendation that will work for your particular trip plans. If you're just flying in for the cruise and will be spending limited time in the hotel and not going into NYC, then Hampton Inn is an excellent choice. It's in a corporate park on Staten Island which is very nice, but there is nothing else there except Hilton Gardens, which would be the only dinner option by foot.

The Newark area hotel prices vary a lot - you're sailing in the middle of the week so there are not a lot of deals due to the business travelers. The options I suggest for another set of dates aren't necessarily a good economic choice for your dates.

Archived