To balcony or not to balcony?

Playalover

Hola all

We have an inside deck 10 cabin booked for two weeks. Prices have dropped a bit and we can get a balcony for $800 per person for the two weeks...with a good chance of being upgraded to a mini suite according to our TA.

I have only l cruised in an inside cabin before and it has been just fine...hey, we all get off at the same ports anyway! But, where does everybody else sit this?

$1600 total for a balcony could also be our spending money and tours for the entire trip!

well, we're in the same boat. we've always had an inside, except on a rare occasion when we end up with an outside and I long for a balcony. However, I always stick with the inside for just that reason. You can only spend it once - and I like to go on lots of cruises. So, reluctantly or realistically, we stick with the insides and enjoy all the extras like specialty restaurants, bottles of wine with dinner and umbrella drinks around the pool. 8 cruises in 5 years - all w/NCL.

Love freestyle. Love NCL.

deb:D

Prices certainly vary, but $800 for 2 weeks sounds like a really good deal to me. Cheapest balcony that I've ever booked was 3 times that price and that was for 1 week. If it were me, I'd do it but Pokeraddict is correct, once you've had a balcony you won't want to go back.

do you mean $800 additional per person for 2 weeks? so $57 per person per day for a balcony upgrade? since you have happily cruised in an inside, that sounds like too much for an upgrade. I'd stay put and spend the money on all those extras or save it for another cruise.

I would completely disregard your agents thoughts about a possible upgrade to a mini suite; that sounds speculative and probably not that likely. I have fallen for similar lines in the past and the " likely" better cabin didn't happen.

First cruise was an ocean view... Next two were balconies... I could never go back. Sit on your balcony and enjoy a nice adult beverage of your choice and watch the world go by, get a dose of the sea air, read a book, adjust the blinds for JUST the right amount of light/ambiance, I sit on the balcony with my binoculars...watch for stuff, see the sights when coming into port from your own room, etc, etc, etc....

First cruise was an ocean view... Next two were balconies... I could never go back. Sit on your balcony and enjoy a nice adult beverage of your choice and watch the world go by, get a dose of the sea air, read a book, adjust the blinds for JUST the right amount of light/ambiance, I sit on the balcony with my binoculars...watch for stuff, see the sights when coming into port from your own room, etc, etc, etc....

Exactly :)

we have cruised in insides, ocean view, balconies and suites. I am not too crazy about inside cabins as I like some natural light, but I would take an inside if needbe for on the right ship the right week. Though many people say you cannot easily go back, we have no trouble doing so. we were in a suite on the last cruise and have an ocean view on the next one. To switch to a balcony would be about $500 per person for a ten day cruise, and so far I am saving that money for all the extras. If the price drops some more, they might tempt me:)

The price sounds right but don't bank on the upgrade to a mini suite. Just plan on the balcony. I would recommend it. But be forewarned: You will not want to go back to an inside after having a balcony.

we have cruised in insides, ocean view, balconies and suites. I am not too crazy about inside cabins as I like some natural light, but I would take an inside if needbe for on the right ship the right week. Though many people say you cannot easily go back, we have no trouble doing so. we were in a suite on the last cruise and have an ocean view on the next one. To switch to a balcony would be about $500 per person for a ten day cruise, and so far I am saving that money for all the extras. If the price drops some more, they might tempt me:)

We agree. Although, I won't book an inside. I need the natural light. We have no problem going back & forth from OV to Balcony though. For us, it depends on the itinerary. We think some itineraries are enhanced by a balcony more than others. As of now, we have a balcony booked for a 14 night NCL cruise next fall. We're thinking of upgrading to a suite, because of the length of the cruise & the occasion. I have no doubt we'll be fine with going back to an OV or a Balcony, if we do.

I have never booked anything less than a balcony, because I'm claustrophobic. If you felt your inside cabin met your needs and other portions of your trip you may not be able to do what you wanted because of the extra money, I would say stick with an inside.

How much do you assume you would use your balcony. We use ours a lot because we are not overly social people and prefer to just sit and watch the ocean.

We use ours a lot because we are not overly social people and prefer to just sit and watch the ocean.

Same here.

We've cruised in all kind of cabins (except Oceanview - a category that does not really "make sense" to me; I don't care for just "watching" ;) ). But cabins with a balcony are the best (for us!). I love to sit outside, watch and listen to the ocean and read a good book - for me, that's the best thing about a cruise and the best to relax. And I love the privacy. I love that I don't have to look for a seat on deck to be able to sit outside.

I have had two ocean view cabins, one balcony cabin and one inside with portholes. My next one is an inside on the next Salute to Veterans Cruise to Alaska in May of 2012.

Those that say once you have a balcony you won't go to anything else may be appropriate for them, however, not for us. We did not spend enough time on the balcony to justify the extra cost. I would not spend the extra money but keep it for incidentals like excursions, bar tab etc.:D

Balconies are nice, but certainly not essential. If it pushes your budget to the point where it makes you nervous or you have to agonize, I'd forget about it.

I wouldn't count on an upgrade, or an upsell (which costs more money on top of what you've already spent.)

hola all!

Thanks for the quick responses. This would be a no-brainer if we weren't also doing a major backyard reno this summer.

My pros right now are many of the things you have pointed out: fresh air, sitting outside, peace and quiet, natural light and the fact that is a 14 day cruise. When I go to resorts a balcony is a MUST or I will not go (we spend 2-3 hours a day on it)

My cons right now are also many of the things you have pointed out: $57/person/day could be all of the spending money, I've cruised inside before and had no problems, might not get the upgrade.

Thank you all so much for weighing in...I'm off to work to debate some more with myself :)

Oh, has anybody had any issues with smokers? loud music/TV via the open patio doors?

hola all!

Thanks for the quick responses. This would be a no-brainer if we weren't also doing a major backyard reno this summer.

My pros right now are many of the things you have pointed out: fresh air, sitting outside, peace and quiet, natural light and the fact that is a 14 day cruise. When I go to resorts a balcony is a MUST or I will not go (we spend 2-3 hours a day on it)

My cons right now are also many of the things you have pointed out: $57/person/day could be all of the spending money, I've cruised inside before and had no problems, might not get the upgrade.

Thank you all so much for weighing in...I'm off to work to debate some more with myself :)

Oh, has anybody had any issues with smokers? loud music/TV via the open patio doors?

If you like to sit and watch people, stay with the inside and sit on deck. My husband just likes to read and I like to watch the ocean so a balcony is a must for us. It's always a step away. We did a 2 week when we had our 25 year anniversary. Our TA was trying to get us into a suite for 1 week but we could do the 2 weeks for the same price in a balcony. We bought Spa Passes and did excursions in every port--however watch out because that about doubled our expenses, so plan ahead for that. As far as noise, one week it was very quiet and the next we had some ladies who like to come in around 12, sit on the balcony, and drink and talk (loudly) for about an hour. As soon as they stopped we fell back asleep immediately. Smoking was the same. One week no smoke, one week smoke, but that is all I will say as the last time I wrote about smoking on this board I was viciously attacked (by total strangers, no less!) for innocent remarks. Hope you have a grand time!

Nope actually only had issues with non-smokers and kids next door jumping from the bed into the adjoining wall.;)

Policy states smokers can smoke on their balcony so I'd say it's the luck of the draw. It all depends on winds etc. I really don't think the TV goes loud enough to even be heard on the next balcony. I tried sitting on our own balcony and listen to music from our TV and could barely hear it. Personal Ipods with speakers on a neighbors balcony may be another thing, but we've never heard any music from anyones balcony.

Hola all

We have an inside deck 10 cabin booked for two weeks. Prices have dropped a bit and we can get a balcony for $800 per person for the two weeks...with a good chance of being upgraded to a mini suite according to our TA.

I have only l cruised in an inside cabin before and it has been just fine...hey, we all get off at the same ports anyway! But, where does everybody else sit this?

$1600 total for a balcony could also be our spending money and tours for the entire trip!

We've sailed in insides, oceanviews and balconies (with four people total) and depending on the price, I would go back to an inside with no problem! $1600 is a lot of spending money so I would stick with the inside.

If I positively had to do an inside cabin because of financial reasons I suppose I would, but I would make sure I spent every possible minute I could up on deck. To me, it's depressing in the inside cabins because there is no natural light, but I have friends who always book inside cabins because they don't really care either way.

Even a small port hole works for me because at least it lets natural light in, which makes the room feel less crowded. I think it all depends on whether you like lounging in your room all day (for instance my parents who spend 75% of their time on the ship sitting on their balcony enjoying the view) or you spend all day long outside of your cabin doing things except at night when you sleep. If you aren't planning on spending any time in your room, then I wouldn't see why it would matter.

It's easy to spend someone else's money. That being said, if you can afford it (even "barely" afford it), my advice would be to go for the balcony.

I've been in an inside cabin (only to visit), and personally, I simply cannot imagine being without a balcony.

Without a doubt, I spend 6-8 hours a day on my balcony. Enjoying a cold beverage (or an early morning cup of coffee), the fresh air, watching the ocean, and searching for sea life. It is my refuge from the noise, clatter, crowds, and loud music of the pool area.

I suspect that folks that tell you that they never spend anytime in their cabin are the same folks that book inside cabins. We love our time on our "own" balcony.

have always booked inside as we do never spend anytime in the cabin and would rather have the money for other things or cruise more often.

our B2B in December we were able to get a balcony for little over the price of an inside, so we had to GO FOR IT!

but next B2B next year we are doing inside and i know we will be just fine.

for us our vacations have never been about where we stay--its where we go and what we do and not have to worry about "budgeting" for it!

hopin that we have a GOOD BALCONY experience tho.

Archived