Allegiant and Spirit say new law on price advertising: Unconstitutional

scottbee

The U.S. Transportation Department (DOT) is violating First Amendment rights to free speech with rules that regulate how airlines advertise their fares and fees, Las Vegas-based low-cost carrier Allegiant Air argues in a court filing June 16.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_generic.jsp?channel=aviationdaily&id=news/avd/2011/06/17/06.xml&headline=Allegiant%20Says%20Fare%20Advertising%20Rules%20Violate%20Free%20Speech%20Protections

Let me see if I understand this.

They want constitutional protection from full disclosure of actual cost of the trip vs. a low ball advertising rate then on the side adding in additional fees and taxes which then doubles the cost of your actual purchase.

Am I understanding their complaint correctly?

I hope their lawyers advertised a rate of $50 and hour just to get the business. They can then add $350 an hour at the end of the final billing statement.

I hope their lawyers advertised a rate of $50 and hour just to get the business. They can then add $350 an hour at the end of the final billing statement.

lol, too funny. :)

I see today that Spirit instituted a $5 fee if you do not print your boarding pass online. Just another fee from Spirit

Wow, that is crazy! I could not imagine flying with them. :eek:

They fly out of Atlantic city and its really convenient but with the checked bag fees and the carry on bag fees and then they lowered the baggage weight limit without saying anything and now if you show up with more than 40 lbs you pay overeeight fees. And then read this about the boarding pass fees and that is really the last straw

I see today that Spirit instituted a $5 fee if you do not print your boarding pass online. Just another fee from Spirit

Ryanair in Europe charge €40 ($50+) for that privilege. Its the new way of selling airline tickets. Lie about the price and nail you later

The U.S. Transportation Department (DOT) is violating First Amendment rights to free speech with rules that regulate how airlines advertise their fares and fees, Las Vegas-based low-cost carrier Allegiant Air argues in a court filing June 16.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_generic.jsp?channel=aviationdaily&id=news/avd/2011/06/17/06.xml&headline=Allegiant%20Says%20Fare%20Advertising%20Rules%20Violate%20Free%20Speech%20Protections

So seeing as these airlines want to be protected about not being truthful in their advertising, how do you think they will feel when being sworn in at court and having to tell the truth under penalty of law for perjury. I guess telling the truth in court is different than telling the truth in advertising. :confused:

Archived