Kids in a cove?

prattmom

Rethinking a booking decision.... I wanted to book our three kids (18, 12, 7) in an inside across from our cove balcony. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that will be available. Thoughts on putting them in an adjoining cove balcony? DH is worried about the youngest accessing the balcony with no supervision... she will be almost 8...

What would you do? The other option would be to book a higher level balcony with an interior across...

Depends on 'maturity' level of the child? I would think an 8 yr old would know better than to climb on a railing or lean over too far? Unless we are talking about a very adventurous and reckless child? ( I also believe there is a lock on the balcony door but an 8 yr old could certainly climb on the bed or a chair and open it if so desired?)

My Grandboys are 8 and 10, there is no way I would ever let them out on the cove balcony or any balcony without me. There probably is a rule about underage kids on balconies alone. It wouldn't take a rule for me, just knowing what could happen is enough to make it not allowed.

I wouldn't do it. I would be worried ALL the time. We booked our kids in a room across the hall, (8 & 10). I wouldn't feel comfortable with them alone on the balcony. I would book higher up and put them across from you but that's just me.

I wouldn't do it. The youngest would have to be in my room.

I'm kinda leaning that way. We had adjoining OV cabins and it was like having a suite. If her bed was in our room, that just might work...

That is what scared me when booking with my kids. Fortunately I lucked out and didn't have to make the decision you are making. Carnival allows the kids to be up to 3 rooms away from you. Even within 3 rooms surrounding you aren't able to find an interior?

Good luck!

That is what scared me when booking with my kids. Fortunately I lucked out and didn't have to make the decision you are making. Carnival allows the kids to be up to 3 rooms away from you. Even within 3 rooms surrounding you aren't able to find an interior?

Good luck!

Can't select a 3 person interior room on the Main floor....

I would never allow my kids to be in a balcony room by themselves--and they're 14 and 15. Who knows what could happen when you're not around?

The most simple solution is to keep the cove balcony rooms and put an adult in each room.

Totally agree! Having a 7 (almost 8) year old in a cove cabin without a parent is just asking for trouble. IMHO, no child of that age is capable of being "mature" enough for that kind of situation. That's a risk I would not be willing to take.

You only need a 2 person interior - put the youngest in with you in Cove Balcony (don't all cabins have a couch?)

Great idea, thanks!

You guys have all been very helpful.

I do want to add that when we had adjoining cabins this last time, the door between the rooms was always open so they were never unsupervised, which is what I envisioned with the coves... but I like froufie's idea :)

My kids always traveled with me in a balcony, started when they where 6 and 7. Everything was fine until about a year ago. My daughter (23) informed me that she, sister and friend (met on the cruise) decided to crawled over 3 balconies to get to our room because they locked their selves out of the cabin. They were at this time 13 and 14 and had at least 5-6 cruise experience. Don’t do it .. your will find out what they did when they get older.:eek:

My kids always traveled with me in a balcony, started when they where 6 and 7. Everything was fine until about a year ago. My daughter (23) informed me that she, sister and friend (met on the cruise) decided to crawled over 3 balconies to get to our room because they locked their selves out of the cabin. They were at this time 13 and 14 and had at least 5-6 cruise experience. Don’t do it .. your will find out what they did when they get older.:eek:

OMG! :eek::eek::eek:

We are considering the Cove when we go on the Magic next year... but we will have a 4 year old. Obviously he will be in our cabin and we won't ever let him be on the balcony alone, but it still makes me nervous. I'd love to hear from someone that has been in a cove before that can tell me where the lock is on the door. Is it high? Could he possibly reach it while we are sleeping? I need to quell some of my fears because the cove seems amazing.

can you have them close the cover door to the adjoining room (like they would for rough seas) and have them remove the divider between your cove & the adjoining one? then you only have 1 door (in your roome) to the balcony and a huge balcony

I would go higher with interior.

I would be so worried, too, about unsupervised balcony access. In fact, we are starting to plan a family cruise and I am planning to book a room for all of us with only ocean view.

Better safe than sorry.

Archived